Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 11:22 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

Just this morning finished The Pecan Man by Cassie Selleck.
People on this forum had mentioned it quite a while ago and I liked the name.

It was a very good story, and captured the setting and time pretty well. It was a bit predictable or sappy but it was a good story and did get me teary eyed.(it's also a short book so nice to have a sense of completion).

In a complete spin around next will be Sick in the Head -Conversations about Life and Comedy by Judd Apatow. It was one of the new books from the library so I will give it a whirl. The last few books I have read were really very touching and tear provoking so hopefully this will be light and entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ha, ha…yeah well it seems I have turned into my grandmother. I have an old fashioned flip phone and no MP3, 4 or 5 player, lol.

I have an old phone, wireless internet which charges me way too much for any downloads, and a CD player in the van. I am limited in my options
You have LOTS and LOTS of options, but you remain limited. Hmmm.

To each their own!

Old 03-27-2016, 03:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You have LOTS and LOTS of options, but you remain limited. Hmmm.

To each their own!

I probably won't change since I don't care for audio books anyway. The only use for me would be a long drive. That's about the only time I can handle them

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Right now I'm almost done with Ian MacEwan's latest, The Cement Garden. It seems different from many of his other books, and even though my Kindle says I'm up over 90% I haven't completely made up my mind. I do think it's worth reading, though, but not what you'd call pleasant.
Oops, my mistake. It's actually his first novel, recently republished.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I started reading a book called Yesterday's Gone: Season One because it is free right now. http://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Gon...erday%27s+gone But I am a little confused by the use of "season one." It almost sounds to me as though it is a book that either has been written from an existing TV show, or that the writers hope some Hollywood producer will take a look at it and make a TV show out of it... There is a foreword that mentions something about this but I couldn't make heads or tails out of what they were trying to say. It could be that I have had too much stress lately, with my old dog dying and then my husband being in the hospital. So if someone happens to know whether this book is based on some TV show, or not, I would actually really like that clarified.

However, from what I read, I don't think I'll finish it. It seems to be fast-moving. It isn't like the writers can't write, but there is no 'there' there, in the writing voice itself. But it should appeal to post-apocalyptic fans who don't mind a lot of swearing.

I also started Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. It was also free. It is one of the first examples of post-apocalyptic writing. Lord of the World (Dover Doomsday Classics): Robert Hugh Benson: 9780486803814: Amazon.com: Books I found it dated and I don't think I'll finish it either although I might. It certainly appeared to say a lot about the early part of the 20th century, in terms of prejudices in the author's way of thinking. I think it is valuable for that alone. Our current apocalyptic visions are nothing new. Benson was a Catholic priest. The current pope had recommended the book to a reporter.

I also read The Violet Hour: Great Writers at the End. Wonderful book! Five stars! The book is about how writers have approached death when it came to the end. Wonderful writing. To quote from the forword: "...I found in the research for this book that while everyone has a fantasy of a 'last conversation,' very few people actually have it. It is the fantasy of resolution, of a final cathartic communication that rarely materializes, because the prickliness or reserve or anger that was there all along is still there, because the urgency of death does not clarify muddiness, or lift obstacles, or defuse conflicts, or force us to talk about what matters, however much we wish it would... The Violet Hour: Great Writers at the End: Katie Roiphe: 9780385343596: Amazon.com: Books

I have read most of Anita Rau Badami's books and I recently read Tell it to the Trees. It was okay. It was not as good as I remember her other books being. Tell It to the Trees - Kindle edition by Anita Rau Badami. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I read Ancient Shores by Jack McDevitt and it was just okay. I didn't like it enough to buy the sequel. Ancient Shores: Jack McDevitt: 9780061054266: Amazon.com: Books

I'm not sure what I'm reading next.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
This afternoon I finished listening to "The Cat's Table" by Michael Ondaatje, read by the author and he has a beautifully melodic voice that I could use as an evening lullaby. It rendered his lyrical prose to pure poetry. Sadly, I didn't like the story -- the plot of the story. The rest of the experience was so good that I've decided to go back and re-read his "The English Patient" because I know I loved that -- and he has another book out that recalls characters from it.

I don't know what I will listen to next.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
This is probably a case of all of you knowing about this already. I didn't.

So I'm posting a link to The Book Insider for free or drastically reduced EBooks.

The Secret You Need to Know About Ebooks - The Book Insider

Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 AM

166 posts, read 194,518 times
I am hooked on Amish books.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:08 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
"When Women Win: EMILY's List and the Rise of Women in American Politics" by Ellen R. Malcolm

Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This is probably a case of all of you knowing about this already. I didn't.

So I'm posting a link to The Book Insider for free or drastically reduced EBooks.

The Secret You Need to Know About Ebooks - The Book Insider
Thanks for that. I have only "gotten lucky" a few times on some new release deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailL2007 View Post
I am hooked on Amish books.
Here are some authors for you to try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books