Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 05:01 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,190,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Just finished Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben. As usual, it was a good one!

I was away for a week or so and forgot to "freeze" my library requests so now I have 6, count them, 6 books to read in 2 weeks! I'm sure I won't be able to do that and will have to make some difficult choices (haha). But I now have Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes (also wrote You), Find Her by Lisa Gardner, The Passenger by Lisa Lutz, The Crooked House, The Winter Girl and No Safe Secret. Any suggestions on which to tackle first?
Your list sounds like mine!

I liked Hidden Bodies though I seem to be alone in that. I also liked Winter Girl, but I figured it out before the end.

I did not like Find Her because I thought it dragged on too much, but my MIL loved it.

I have The Passenger and The Crooked House on hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 05:44 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,388,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
hi all I just received something in the mail about a book a friend read :The Sex Lives of Cannibals Adrift in the Equcatorial Pacific by J. Maarten Troost . It is a memoir , humor , travelogue
In the late 1990's the author accompanied his wife to live on the island of Tarawa in a small country called Kiribati . She worked for a program to help the destitute citizens . He wrote about ordinary life , the culture , the beauty and the challenges of their 2 yrs there . the book was funny in parts and fascinating too . I was glad to have travelled there via his words . Somewhere in the middle of the pacific is a tiny island country I never knew exsisted but now I do .
She is a voracious reader like me and from time to time she will send a postcard outlining a book she would like me to try , Hurray for us bibiophiles !!!

I meant to read this- for book club several months ago (maybe a year ago already?) we read Lost on Planet China by this author. He sure can tell a story! It was very good so descriptive and what an amazing tale. Thanks for the "reminder".

Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I meant to read this- for book club several months ago (maybe a year ago already?) we read Lost on Planet China by this author. He sure can tell a story! It was very good so descriptive and what an amazing tale. Thanks for the "reminder".
oh you are welcome I really want to read this cannibals one let me know how you like this one you are talking about have an awesome wknd .

Old 04-09-2016, 03:24 AM

3,566 posts, read 2,105,614 times

"Robots of Dawn" - one of my favourite "Robot" books from Asimov's tome.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 AM

13,573 posts, read 9,984,734 times
BILL BRYSON. Notes FROM A SMALL ISLAND.

I do love his view on things, there are not many pages go by without tear inducing laughter being evoked.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,025 posts, read 6,527,465 times
As a result of my watching the first two seasons of Bosch (on Amazon Prime Video) I am reading all of the Bosch novels. Currently on #3 (The Concrete Blond). Very well written IMHO.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:51 PM

2,322 posts, read 921,005 times
The Light Between Oceans
by M. L. Stedman

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM

759 posts, read 3,138,554 times
Quote:
liked Hidden Bodies though I seem to be alone in that. I also liked Winter Girl, but I figured it out before the end.

I did not like Find Her because I thought it dragged on too much, but my MIL loved it.

I have The Passenger and The Crooked House on hold.
Thanks, Raindrop101, I've been looking for some good suggestions. I read the description of Find Her and something about it seemed off, so I'm glad I didn't get it.

I just listened to "All Things Cease to Appear" by Elizabeth Brundage, which started off slow and scattered, and just when I was ready to give up, it sucked me in. 2 1/2 - 3 stars.

I am listening now to "The Good Goodbye" by Carla Buckley about an arson fire in a college dorm room involving 2 cousins, very good so far, and I'm looking for more books by this author.

Eagerly awaiting Ann Leary's next book, "The Children" which comes out in May. Has anyone every received a book from GoodReads in advance of publication? It was on my wish list, and I got an email stating I might receive a book and would I please review it. That was a week ago, I hope they send it to me.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:05 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
As a result of my watching the first two seasons of Bosch (on Amazon Prime Video) I am reading all of the Bosch novels. Currently on #3 (The Concrete Blond). Very well written IMHO.
I like Harry Bosch books. I have been reading them over the years out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Thanks, Raindrop101, I've been looking for some good suggestions. I read the description of Find Her and something about it seemed off, so I'm glad I didn't get it.

I just listened to "All Things Cease to Appear" by Elizabeth Brundage, which started off slow and scattered, and just when I was ready to give up, it sucked me in. 2 1/2 - 3 stars.

I am listening now to "The Good Goodbye" by Carla Buckley about an arson fire in a college dorm room involving 2 cousins, very good so far, and I'm looking for more books by this author.

Eagerly awaiting Ann Leary's next book, "The Children" which comes out in May. Has anyone every received a book from GoodReads in advance of publication? It was on my wish list, and I got an email stating I might receive a book and would I please review it. That was a week ago, I hope they send it to me.

That's too bad about Find Her. I usually like Lisa Gardner. Have you read Brenda Novak, Allison Brennan, Lisa Jackson, Wendy Corsi Staub, Andrea Kane, or Beverly Barton?

You might like this list:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...lers_Suspense_

I have received books from Goodreads and publishers. You should get yours soon. The Good Goodbye was one of mine and I really liked it.

Back home in TN. My DH has 3 herniated discs so it is up to me to do the majority of the work. Thankfully my stepdaughter has been a huge help to me with the heavy stuff. Next up..get my garden ready. Too much to do and no time to read. I'm just too tired. One week home and I haven't even been to the library

Old 04-10-2016, 09:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,771,669 times
W.L. Warren's King John, a biography of the English monarch who succeeded his brother, Richard the Lionheart, in 1199. In 1204 he lost Normandy to the French king, and in 1215 he was forced to sign the Magna Carter at Runnymede. He died in 1216.

King John, Revised edition - W. L. Warren - Paperback - University of California Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books