Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

I just finished listening to Jodi Picoult's "Leaving Time" read by: Rebecca Lowman, Abigail Revasch, Kathe Mazur, and Mark Deakins. It was knock my socks off amazing. It was so good that I listened to the author's note afterward -- not my usual style.

Jodi is becoming a go to author for me, when I cannot find interesting title, I look for what's available from her. Even for her -- always good IMO, this one was exceptional. The reading in this one made it even better, performed perfectly by each character.

God, I loved this book!

Next up: "Sing Them Home" by Stephanie Kallos; read by Tavia Gilbert

Meanwhile, I'm still reading Margaret Atwood's "Cat's Eye" which started so well, but has not been so stellar since. I don't know if I am reacting to the story content on a personal level, or if her writing has become plodding. Whichever the case, it's easy to put down and the times when I would normally sit down to read I find myself thinking, "Well, I could read, BUT...."

I'm more than halfway, and I will finish it but I am not hurrying back to see what happens next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Have read that historical assessment of John is changing--that he is viewed in more positive light because he wanted to consolidate power into king's hand--central rule-vs the historic strength of jarls and barons to rule their fiefs and only owe king more lip-service in taxes and men...
Have also read some aspects of John's personal "depravities" that make him sound like an English Caligula...

How does this book assess him?

Old 04-10-2016, 12:41 PM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post

"Robots of Dawn" - one of my favourite "Robot" books from Asimov's tome.
That reminds me it's about time to reread the "Foundation" trilogy . The books that got me hooked on Sci Fi.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:56 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Host, Robin Cook

Old 04-10-2016, 07:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I am FINALLY reading the Journals of Lewis & Clark. Had the book for a while now & was so busy reading others that I didn't get to it until a week ago.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 AM

I had to quit listening to "Sing Them Home" by Stephanie Kallos; read by Tavia Gilbert. I gave it more than an hour and all she did was ridicule her characters -- starting with one and moving through the ranks as if they were in a line up. I started feeling sorry for them and despising her.

So, I am moving on to Wendell Berry's "Nathan Coulter."

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
The Gulag Achipelago-Alexander Solzhenitzen

A little light springtime read...

Old 04-11-2016, 01:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
That reminds me it's about time to reread the "Foundation" trilogy . The books that got me hooked on Sci Fi.
I love the Foundation books too! And they're next on my list after I've completed the Robot books.

Enjoy!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I had to quit listening to "Sing Them Home" by Stephanie Kallos; read by Tavia Gilbert. I gave it more than an hour and all she did was ridicule her characters -- starting with one and moving through the ranks as if they were in a line up. I started feeling sorry for them and despising her.
I was waiting to see what you thought of that one. I had found it a thrift shop and bought it as I've always enjoyed her stuff. I was looking at it on Amazon for some reason and started reading through some of the 1-star reviews. Many JP fans were very put off by this one, especially because she made it very clear where she stands on the issue in this book. One of my favorite things about her books is how she will write about a "controversial" topic and you have no idea how she feels about it. When I read that you know her leanings in this one, I decided not to read it and no longer have the book. I'm certainly going to continue reading her works, but I'm really hoping she doesn't do this again.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I was waiting to see what you thought of that one. I had found it a thrift shop and bought it as I've always enjoyed her stuff. I was looking at it on Amazon for some reason and started reading through some of the 1-star reviews. Many JP fans were very put off by this one, especially because she made it very clear where she stands on the issue in this book. One of my favorite things about her books is how she will write about a "controversial" topic and you have no idea how she feels about it. When I read that you know her leanings in this one, I decided not to read it and no longer have the book. I'm certainly going to continue reading her works, but I'm really hoping she doesn't do this again.
Once again I am completely ignorant. Her leanings? I'm going to have to go back and read the description because I've no idea what the issue is that you speak of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books