Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times

Advertisements

I am reading Cutting for Stone. So far, it is great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I am reading Cutting for Stone. So far, it is great

That is a marvelous book. The characters are so vivid. The plot is engaging. In fact, I can't think of even one negative about the book. I loved it. I hope you do, too.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
It's been quite a long time and I had to browse a few pages. Of course I found some really interesting books here which directly went on my wish list at amazon

The last books I've recently read are:
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Houssini. It was moving, it made me speechless, it made me want to cry! So I needed something light and shallow afterwards. I've finished Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella and I'm nearly halfway through Shopaholic and Sister. Right after this I have And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Houssini on my list.

My latest audio books were mainly from German authors. Most of them on the funny side.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
My latest audio books were mainly from German authors. Most of them on the funny side.
Welcome back, MM. I've missed you.

Having been raised with German-Americans I would never have thought of German authors as writing funny books. Definitely my folks had a wry sense of humor, but my general sense has been of them being stern and staunch. Please do share some of the titles you've listened to -- I want to expand my views!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Downloaded Julian Fellowes new serial, Belgravia, to my iPad last night.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
It's been quite a long time and I had to browse a few pages. Of course I found some really interesting books here which directly went on my wish list at amazon

The last books I've recently read are:
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Houssini. It was moving, it made me speechless, it made me want to cry! So I needed something light and shallow afterwards. I've finished Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella and I'm nearly halfway through Shopaholic and Sister. Right after this I have And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Houssini on my list.

Hi MM! Good to see you. I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was an amazing book.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I had to give up on the audiobook version of~The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)by Louise Penny I just do not have the patience to sit and listen to 11 CDs! The story does sound interesting though, so I want to borrow it for my Kindle.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...utiful-mystery

Just finished~Elephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II by Vicki Croke
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ephant-company
Which was an awesome read!

Now I am reading and enjoying the cozy mystery~Playing with Fire (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #2)by J.J. Cook
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ying-with-fire

Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Autumn, I think you would enjoy the Flavia de Luce book I'm reading. A very nice mystery with an eleven year old heroine.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished "The Bottoms" by Joe R. Lansdale. What a delight.

IMO, it's a combination of "Old Yeller", "Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Café", "To Kill A Mockingbird", and "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" with a dash of "The Help."

I recommend it because it, IMO, is a very good book.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:24 PM

66 posts, read 60,215 times
The Eureka Factor. Discusses research findings into creative insight vs analytical problem solving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books