Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times

Advertisements

I love Amy Tan, love everything she's written. I think Bonesetter's Daughter is my fave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM

75 posts, read 261,540 times
Ooo Just Finished 3 Kingdoms The history of the Han Dynasty, Excellent read.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,144,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy

I recently got into James Patterson. In the last couple months I have read the Alex Cross series (15 books), the Women's Murder Club series (8 books), and many other James Patterson's other books. Some of the books I have read recently would be... The Beach House, Beach Road, Judge & Jury, The Lifeguard, Swimsuit, Honeymoon, Cradle and All, The Quickie, You've Been Warned and Step on a Crack. And I liked all of those. However, the most recent are...

The 8th Confession (part of the Women's Murder Club series) and I liked it a lot, but it wasn't my favorite WMC book either.

Alex Cross's Trail (part of the Alex Cross series), which I finished a few days ago. Some people I spoke to said they didn't like it because 1- It didn't have Alex Cross in it, and 2- It was different from the other ones. And yes, I was disappointed that Alex Cross wasn't in it, the title was misleading, but I loved that it was different! I really enjoyed Alex Cross's Trial.

Cross Country (another of the Alex Cross books), which I just finished yesterday. Cross Country is supposed to come before Alex Cross's Trial, but I bought Trial and ordered Cross Country off the internet. It took forever for Cross Country to come in, so I read Trial first. Anyway, I really enjoyed Cross Country as well. It was different and Alex Cross went through a lot!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,146,754 times
I'm about to start...
Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
by Margaret Visser

Much Depends on Dinner by Margaret Visser - Barnes & Noble

From Library Journal
"In this immensely learned and attractive book, Visser gives a chapter to each of the nine ingredients of a simple dinner: corn with salt and butter, chicken with rice, lettuce with olive oil and lemon juice, ice cream. Each of these foods has a "weird, passionate, often savage history of its own," which she relates in spirited prose, rich in surprising facts, unexpected connections, and a well-documented outrage at what modern technology and agribusiness have done to purity and quality. This presents a remarkable amount of information seamlessly and entertainingly."

Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,905,704 times
I finished "Holly's Inbox"... fun book!!!

I'm now reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 AM

461 posts, read 790,245 times
Lies Will Take you Somewhere by Sheila Schwartz. Wow, what a great book, was really looking forward to reading her next one but found out she died right before it was published. What a voice...

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM

47,777 posts, read 21,833,543 times
I recently started A 1000 Splendid Suns however I am getting a foreboding that it might be an upsetting read.....I will probably continue as it is interesting and well written.....but I anticipate it will be an emotional read and I will need something light and uplifting as the next book I read.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,877,394 times
Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,257,670 times
It has been a while since I posted here, but I have been busy reading!
  1. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (with a nod to cpg)
  2. Lisey's Story by Stephen King
  3. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by who else
  4. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins
  5. a forgettable book by James Patterson
  6. The Silmarrilion by Tolkien
I am about to start rereading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe. Some of the above were rereads as well. I like rediscovering books I haven't read in some time. A good book will stand up to rereads.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,409,819 times
While I'm waiting on the latest delivery from my local library I'm rereading all my Kim Harrison books starring Rachel Morgan, witch extraordinaire, before I go out and buy the latest in the series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books