Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahahaha!!! I know, I know. It's awful. And you know me -- I don't stand for that crap. I don't stand for the first mistake, never mind the 100th. I guess I was in a very lenient mood when I read it. Did you see "Albeit" for "Albert" a dozen times? Sigh... Yes, I *must* have been in a very lenient mood... and I must have wanted a relaxing read. But now I wonder how that could have been relaxing. I'm an editor -- I had to have been totally stressed out reading that. I don't know. Maybe I was drunk. (I don't drink.) Give up if you want to but at this point, with only 30% left to go, you might as well find out who gets married. (Nobody gets married. But something happens.)
Oh my gosh Dawn, I was going to post about that. I had to flip back to make sure I hadn't read it as Albert incorrectly but there it was...Mr Albert....and there it was a page or so later Mr. Albeit...honestly that is pretty much unforgivable!

I am only at 18% after three nights of reading.....I may be able to stop taking Benadryl at night to help me sleep because this book is all I need. Maybe I should try reading it during the day to see if it has the same effect. If it does Staggerford could single handedly put the sleeping pill industry out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Oh my gosh Dawn, I was going to post about that. I had to flip back to make sure I hadn't read it as Albert incorrectly but there it was...Mr Albert....and there it was a page or so later Mr. Albeit...honestly that is pretty much unforgivable!

I am only at 18% after three nights of reading.....I may be able to stop taking Benadryl at night to help me sleep because this book is all I need. Maybe I should try reading it during the day to see if it has the same effect. If it does Staggerford could single handedly put the sleeping pill industry out of business.
Hahahaha! It's a shame, really, because the story is a good one, especially if you're in the mood for a quiet read. BUT THE TYPOS ARE SO LOUD! I'm surprised that they're letting you sleep.

Now that we're talking about it, I looked at my to-read list and there are two others in the Staggerford series that I had wanted to read: The Staggerford Flood and The New Woman. I probably didn't get them because I was afraid that they were as poorly edited. It's really too bad.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I did finish it. i skimmed pages and reported many more typos. There was another 'the' for 'die' typo but I couldn't figure out what the word that was meant to be there was meant to be.

I think Hassler is a fine writer. Where I think the falling asleep part that Holly describes comes in and which I also experienced at different times, is a combination of nothing-ever-happens-in-Mayberry and the caricatures the characters are drawn out as in the beginning. It's almost hypnotic. It's such a relief when they swear and some not-so-nice parts come out later in the story.

I would be reluctant to read another book by him unless I knew someone had for darned freakin' sure cleaned up all the typos. But Hassler has great lines and insights.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
I read the Staggerford sample and it looked interesting. My library doesn't have Staggerford, but it has Four Miles to Pine Cone. It's listed as a YA book. I'll download to check out editing.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Nothing any of your wrote about the Staggerford book made we want to read it. Just sayin'. The typos would do me in.

I'm about to finish The Man Who Planted Trees by Jim Robbins and I've loved it. As I said in my last post, if you have any affinity for forests, trees, plants or, oddly, near death experiences, you should check it out.

Not sure what's up next. I picked up a copy of Where the Red Fern Grows but I might save til I feel the need for a good cry. I also borrowed a copy of A Reliable Wife from a friend and may start it. Mixed reviews on all the book sites, but an interesting premise. Or maybe Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. He never disappoints, but it's a long book.

So many good books out there.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I am reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin and I am wondering why I keep reading, I'm 10% into it and would've dropped it at 5% had it not been for the discovery of the wolf pups.

Another author more interested in the scenery, costuming, and backstory than the actual plot or characterizations. When will authors all get the part about "Show, Don't Tell"?
I got hooked on Martin's books because I watch HBO's Game of Thrones. There are so many storylines and characters I could not keep them straight. They held my interest through Book 3. The scenery, cinematography and acting, especially Peter Dinklage are why I continue to watch. Martin has no problem killing off popular characters.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Here is a link to how Amazon plans to deal with typos in their e-books. I knew I had read something about that.

Kindle e-Books will have a warning message if they have spelling mistakes or bad formatting

Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Here is a link to how Amazon plans to deal with typos in their e-books. I knew I had read something about that.

Kindle e-Books will have a warning message if they have spelling mistakes or bad formatting
Some interesting commenters. I hope they don't use some form of spell check which doesn't always make the right decision.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Just finished The Nightingale. Excellent book!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Nothing any of your wrote about the Staggerford book made we want to read it. Just sayin'. The typos would do me in.

I'm about to finish The Man Who Planted Trees by Jim Robbins and I've loved it. As I said in my last post, if you have any affinity for forests, trees, plants or, oddly, near death experiences, you should check it out.

Not sure what's up next. I picked up a copy of Where the Red Fern Grows but I might save til I feel the need for a good cry. I also borrowed a copy of A Reliable Wife from a friend and may start it. Mixed reviews on all the book sites, but an interesting premise. Or maybe Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. He never disappoints, but it's a long book.

So many good books out there.
I know it seems like that, but I actually think this is a very good book. I can't really recommend the e-book version with all the typos. I can't say that I had an emotional reaction to the book due to the distraction of them. Plus, I had trouble keeping the characters straight, except it turns out that Albert and Albeit are the same person. a 'lack' in the crotch! Eek! I am not paying 9.99 or whatever it was that I paid for a book with so many typos that it affects the story itself.

Read the hard copy version.

I'm not sure what I'm reading next. I came across a book called Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy. The sample has a lot of foreword taking it up, and it has a dated feel to it. And it is a feminist book and I'm unsure whether it will be interesting or preachy. I'm also considering The Expatriates by Janice Y. K. Lee. It's one of the most expensive e-books I've seen. After a bunch of loser books, I want to be sure I will like it. I've never returned a book for no other reason than not liking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books