Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I just finished The Sound of Glass by Karen White. It was one of those books that I knew I wouldn't describe as a great novel, but I also couldn't put down. It is a story that weaves through three generations of women keeping secrets to protect people they love. The setting, Beaufort South Carolina, was beautiful and there were several complicated subplots that kept the pages turning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Just finished Origin in Death J.D.Robb and only gave it 2 stars as it didn't hold my interest well. Starting my 3rd book of Don Brown's Navy Justice Series Hostage.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:50 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Well after last night I must say I am glad I got Staggerford. Is it a great book? I have no clue, but I can tell you that it remains a quite effective sleep inducer. I had oral surgery yesterday and the antibiotic I have to take caused heartburn that woke me up from a sound sleep. I tossed and turned and finally decided to try sleeping propped up. No such luck. I figured since I was awake I should read for a bit. It took about ten minutes I suppose and next thing i knew it was morning.I must say though, the story is getting more interesting and I think I may end up liking it. I can't read regular print books because I have a problem seeing them so I will probably not read any of the other e-books of his. I do think I should ask for a refund but I won't because I know I will finish it.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 7,143 times
Reading is a good habit. Read anything you get. You can start with simple books. Gradually you can improve the language and the quality.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Just got "The Good Goodbye" from the library and had to put aside the other Michael Connelly book to read this one. It goes back and forth between characters, which I dislike, as well as present time and past time. But so far, cannot put it down. Just had minor surgery so this was a lifesaver while I rest and recoup.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
well after all the discussion about the title I was originally hooked with Miss Smilla. I wasn't able to read for a few days so maybe not keeping up with the story had something to do with it but I had to really force myself to finish it. I usually would throw in the towel but I felt that I had to finish it. So I finished it today and parts were thought provoking but overall I would not recommend it. So much technical garbage and too many side twists and turns and random stories. (but I finished it . a sense of accomplishment I suppose.
Next up- the Rent Collector which came highly recommended by a few people I know.
I will let you know how i do with that one.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:44 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I seem to be reading Immortality by Kevin Bohacz. It was a bestseller in 2008. Some reviews said it has a lot of typos so Lord knows what I'm doing. I might be a glutton for punishment. But it was cheap. We'll see. My nephew cut down some trees for me and I spent the afternoon hauling logs around so I might be joining Holly in Sleepland soon. Typos would help. The sample seemed interesting enough. Plus, it was cheap.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,164 times
Anderson Cooper's and Gloria Vanderbilt's book, The Rainbow Comes And Goes. I highly recommend this book because the writers do not hold back. It is a very intimate look at their family life and how each dealt with major events in their lives. There are things in this book that surprisingly everyone can relate to despite income class, etc.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:45 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
well after all the discussion about the title I was originally hooked with Miss Smilla. I wasn't able to read for a few days so maybe not keeping up with the story had something to do with it but I had to really force myself to finish it. I usually would throw in the towel but I felt that I had to finish it. So I finished it today and parts were thought provoking but overall I would not recommend it. So much technical garbage and too many side twists and turns and random stories. (but I finished it . a sense of accomplishment I suppose.
Next up- the Rent Collector which came highly recommended by a few people I know.
I will let you know how i do with that one.
I never found Smilla that interesting either.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
well after all the discussion about the title I was originally hooked with Miss Smilla. ... I had to really force myself to finish it. I usually would throw in the towel but I felt that I had to finish it. So I finished it today and parts were thought provoking but overall I would not recommend it. So much technical garbage and too many side twists and turns and random stories. (but I finished it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I never found Smilla that interesting either.
Sounds like the movie was definitely better than the book. It's been years, but I recall thinking it was a good one.

I'm still reading "Game of Thrones" and am almost certain I will finish it. This evening to test my e-reader on my Android tablet, I started E.B. White's "Here's New York." Looks like the story and the tablet will both work for me. I'm also listening to Kate Atkinson's "A God in Ruins." It started slowly and I was concerned that there wasn't enough there to keep my mind engaged, but slowly I am liking the two (so far) central characters more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books