Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 12:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,471,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I'm reading "Playing for the Ashes" -- Elizabeth George. I love her Inspector Lynley books and thought I'd read them all, but somehow missed this one. So far, it's up to her usual excellent standard -- she's a very skilled writer -- but after 100 or so pages, the investigation has not yet commenced.

I'm also reading my way through the Maisie Dobbs (Jacqueline Winspear) books in order but have taken a break after "Among the Mad". She creates such real characters and paints a complete picture of some segment of British life in each book so I'm truly loving her books and will be sad when I'm done.
I haven't read any of the Inspector Linley series, but enjoyed the few television episodes I've seen. I started the Maisie series a short time ago and agree totally. 😆

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read about five pages of Everyone Brave is Forgiven (by Chris Cleave) and called it done. It seemed ridiculous.
That's too bad. The library newsletter I picked up in Boise featured him on the cover and I was planning to add it to my list. I loved his "Little Bee."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,795,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That's too bad. The library newsletter I picked up in Boise featured him on the cover and I was planning to add it to my list. I loved his "Little Bee."
So did I. And also his Incendiary. This is not them. At least not for me, but your mileage may vary. Read the sample on Amazon -- you'll likely see what I mean.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
I was reading the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up until I decided that time is better off spent getting rid of stuff
I finished this book a month or so ago. It's one of the best I've read to organize and get rid of clutter. I am definitely following her system and have made several trips already to Good Will.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,304,512 times
Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher

Old 05-16-2016, 02:33 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,164,375 times
I'm rereading King's Doctor Sleep.

It's creepy in parts but those parts are overwhelmed by the terrific writing of Stephen King. I've never read an author who brings to life characters who are so wonderfully real to me. I love this book. I don't even want to mention how many times I've read it.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM

1,640 posts, read 783,813 times
Just finished "never let me go" Kazuo Ishiguro and am starting "go set a watchman" Harper Lee.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:18 PM

294 posts, read 333,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished this book a month or so ago. It's one of the best I've read to organize and get rid of clutter. I am definitely following her system and have made several trips already to Good Will.
There's an ebook called "Sorted" free on Amazon right now that was inspired by that book. The reviews look kinda promising.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:53 PM

496 posts, read 388,967 times
I finished the Daphne du Maurier collection. I very much enjoyed all but one story. I am not sure what I will read next but my Kindle is full of books I've downloaded but never read.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:31 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,787,010 times
Just finished At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen which was not nearly as interesting and original as Water for Elephants. Now I'm reading Devil in the White City which everyone else read years ago.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:56 AM

4,692 posts, read 4,326,122 times
well I finished The Swans of Fifth Avenue last night here in vacationland. It was wonderful. The first few pages had me wondering if I could keep reading but once it got the people, oh my I really enjoyed it. It definitely has me planning to look into more about the people in the book and while I think I have read a bunch of Truman Capote's writings, it might be time to revisit.
I thought it really captured the era so well.
Not sure what I will turn to next, but since I can get the internet for now, I wanted to heartily recommend the Swans of Fifth Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books