Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid. I'm not even sure what to say or think about it. It started off as a boy meets girl story. Then it got creepy/scary/suspenseful. And then, the last 15% or so, got weird. Really weird. For a while I wasn't even sure what was going on. Then I figured it out and... well, it's just weird. I can't recommend it, really. If you want to read it, get it from the library in case you'd regret spending even a nickel on it.
From the description on Amazon it sounded totally up my alley so I'm putting it on my to-read sometime in the future list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
From the description on Amazon it sounded totally up my alley so I'm putting it on my to-read sometime in the future list.
Y'know what? Now that I've had a day to think about it, I realize that it was a good book. There's a wow! twist near the end that at first was confusing. Once the confusion passes, you're back in the groove for the final few pages. It's definitely a creepy story.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Y'know what? Now that I've had a day to think about it, I realize that it was a good book. There's a wow! twist near the end that at first was confusing. Once the confusion passes, you're back in the groove for the final few pages. It's definitely a creepy story.
Well, some books are like that - you don't realise you liked them until you've thought about it for a while. I'm reading The Virgin Suicides but I blanked out somewhere and while I am still chugging along, I'm wondering about just how the first person narrator knows certain things. When I've finished, I'll go back to the beginning and see if I can figure out where I missed the fork in the road. It is a really good book - I'm pretty sure it's me and not the book. Although if I find no rational explanation....hmmm. Not sure what I will think about the book then.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, some books are like that - you don't realise you liked them until you've thought about it for a while. I'm reading The Virgin Suicides but I blanked out somewhere and while I am still chugging along, I'm wondering about just how the first person narrator knows certain things. When I've finished, I'll go back to the beginning and see if I can figure out where I missed the fork in the road. It is a really good book - I'm pretty sure it's me and not the book. Although if I find no rational explanation....hmmm. Not sure what I will think about the book then.
Your mind is on bigger, more important things. That's why you blanked out. xoxoxo

Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
All within less than 24 hours, I gobbled up (every pun intended) this memoir: Dinner with Edward: A Story of an Unexpected Friendship by Isabel Vincent. It was delicious and sweet (again, puns intended) and sad and lovely. So lovely.
Added it to my list. Thanks.

I started English Passengers by Matthew Kneale last night and made it all the way to page 4 before falling asleep. It comes highly recommended by a real life reader friend.

https://www.amazon.com/English-Passe.../dp/038549744X

Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I have decided that I will have a "hard stop" for any book that is compared in any way to Gone Girl. I just won't even pick it up. I had a long car drive and stopped at the library for an audio book. My library doesn't have a great selection and when I drive I like non-complicated fiction. I picked up The Luckiest Girl in the World and skipped past the Gone Girl reference. Awful!!! I found myself driving very carefully because I would hate to be in a car accident and have some first responder find that book in my CD player.

It is the "in your face" sexual references and lack or morality or remorse that makes me crazy!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have decided that I will have a "hard stop" for any book that is compared in any way to Gone Girl. I just won't even pick it up. I had a long car drive and stopped at the library for an audio book. My library doesn't have a great selection and when I drive I like non-complicated fiction. I picked up The Luckiest Girl in the World and skipped past the Gone Girl reference. Awful!!! I found myself driving very carefully because I would hate to be in a car accident and have some first responder find that book in my CD player.

It is the "in your face" sexual references and lack or morality or remorse that makes me crazy!
Ha! I'm with you on the Gone Girl comparisons.

You know what else is on my "hard stop" list? When the synopsis includes anything like this: "She has a glamorous job as a [fill in your blank], a handsome [boyfriend or fiance or husband], and is pregnant with her second angelic child... life seemed PERFECT... until [this happened] or except [this haunted her from her past]... blah blah blah"

Blergh!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I hate the Gone Girl comparisons and The Girl on the Train too. I seriously wonder how many books have come out since with Girl in the title. Anyway, I did really enjoy I Let You Go which had the comparison to both but I just skipped all that hullabaloo because the synopsis sounded really good and it was talked about on NPR. I think any female lead/female author thriller/mystery these days is compared to one of those 2 books. It is unfortunate.

I am currently reading Pierced by the Sun which is by Laura Esquivel. It was a Kindle First. Not very impressed but it's a fast read. I read 65% in just a few hours last night. I am anxious to finish it as I got Harlan Coben's Fool Me Once from the library today.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Thanks fromupthere for recommending I Let You Go. I liked it, too. I'm presently reading Plot against America by Philip Roth. I've had it on my shelf for years.

I put I'm Thinking of Ending Things on hold. It was compared to We Need to Talk about Kevin. Good enough for me. Also, Dinner with Edward.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Thanks fromupthere for recommending I Let You Go. I liked it, too. I'm presently reading Plot against America by Philip Roth. I've had it on my shelf for years.

I put I'm Thinking of Ending Things on hold. It was compared to We Need to Talk about Kevin. Good enough for me. Also, Dinner with Edward.
It looks like her next book is coming out July 28th. I'm just guessing that that means here in America but Amazon doesn't have anything yet. Got the info from a Goodreads email.

I finished Pierced by the Sun and am anxious to start Fool Me Once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books