Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 10:54 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

Disappointed with Harlan Coben's "Fool Me Once" and may give up on him.

The main character went from a hard core military woman to a wimpy silly goose in the end. She LOVED her kid, so she left her all alone in the world. And Coben changed voices so many times that I didn't know who was supposed to be speaking. Is it first person? Third person?

So many plots intertwined with no real reason. Does she know who killed her husband? Of course she does.
And the epilogue, 25 years later, was unnecessary. Big disappointment in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
just finished Deep South. I enjoyed the vignettes and found it quite interesting. I have to say his vocabulary is just out of the park. I was so happy to read this on my kindle because I constantly was using the dictionary feature.
As with all books, I can't say that I enjoyed every part and there were certainly some parts I glossed over, but on the whole it was quite enlightening and very engagingly written.
I just went and got Tobacco Road, The Sound and the Fury, (and Middlesex )from the library.
He definitely got my interest up so I guess that's pretty impressive. I am not sure if I will find these readable but I am going to give them a try.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:08 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
I finished The World to Come. It was a delicious read. I do highly recommend it.

I started The Last Woman Standing by Thelma Adams. It's about Josephine (Sadie) Earp, wife of Wyatt Earp. It is keeping my interest. The story is engaging and made me google her and also her husband and a character named Madame Moustache. Doc Holiday, Johnny Behan and others are in the book. I enjoy a book that gets me researching for more information. If you enjoy Western lore this is worth reading. I'm about 70% through and don't know what I will start next.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished Happy Family by Tracy Barone. I thought that it started out stronger than it ended. I liked it very much but I felt that it dragged a bit in the middle, that the almost-end was a little dry and textbookish (new word!), and that the very end was a wee bit sappy (although surprising). All in all, it was worth the time and I liked it.

Dawn,
I think I liked Happy Family more than you did and I'm so glad you found it! The ending felt satisfying with enough unresolved issues to be realistic. I was pretty impressed with the character development and multiple story threads. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I am reading The Children's Blizzard. I think the research that went into the book is very good. Some of the multiple names and people are a bit confusing and I glossed over the "weather" section part of it. It is giving me some great insight to the harsh realities of the people who settled in that area. These were no wilting flowers.

I also just started Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens. I'm not far enough along to make a call on it.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
Return To Tradd Street by Karen White...it's the 4th book in the series...was the last but I think she decided to work on the 5th now...I love her writing, always a bit of a supernatural twist to them!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Siracusa by Delia Ephron. I'm 13% in and it's neither good nor bad. It just is.

https://www.amazon.com/Siracusa-Deli...words=siracusa

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-18-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 04:20 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I am almost 1/2 done with Tobacco Road ( since I read Deep South and he mentioned it countless times).
It's so good!!! I had only really heard the expression before and now I have looked into it- apparently after the book, it was a long running Broadway show in the 1940's ( I suspect not too faiithful to the book) and a movie. After I finish the book I am going to try to track down the movie. Amazing story.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am reading The Children's Blizzard. I think the research that went into the book is very good. Some of the multiple names and people are a bit confusing and I glossed over the "weather" section part of it. It is giving me some great insight to the harsh realities of the people who settled in that area. These were no wilting flowers.

I also just started Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens. I'm not far enough along to make a call on it.
Lisa, I loved that book! I read The Girls, The Mountain Story, and Rush Home Road. I will have to search for more LL books.

I finished Last Woman Standing. It was great inspiration for research but not great. I t was worth the time reading it though as I'm partial to stories of the wild west.

I'm reading a book called Jane and Prudence and it's so bad I could pull my hair out. I'm at 17% and don't think I am going to bother reading further. I downloaded a book called The Butterfly Garden and I'll start it tonight.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I absoloutly love that book "THE CHILDRENS BLIZZARD " we found out from a friend of ours who lives in that area that there are still many of the headstones of people who died in that storm still standing thanks to their familys . Actually he told us that you would be hard pressed to find any cemetery in that area that did not have a head stone of that day .I think the oldest survivor passed in 1975 at over a hundred years old but always told his family what he remembered of it .Can you imagine being a child and going through a blizzard and living to tell about it ?
I finally finished mark of the lion and it was so so and nothing to write home about . I'm wanting to read "the dead duke and his secret wife etc ' and I will wait till it goes down in price on amazon . a few of my pen friends have read it and said it was good . I just cant afford it right now or else it would be on the way ....

Last edited by phonelady61; 07-19-2016 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books