Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I've been reading a real mixture lately -- nothing of particular note -- but one older non-fiction book is possibly of interest. It's "Shakespeare & Company" by Sylvia Beach, the original owner of the famous bookstore of the same name in Paris in post WWI through the beginning of WWII. She was an intrepid young American woman who loved Paris and who started the bookstore on a shoestring. Her store became a hangout for many authors whose names you'd recognize -- Hemingway, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Pound, Lawrence to name just a few -- and she ultimately became the publisher of Joyce's Ulysses when no one else would publish it. It was a fascinating read but not well written -- a bit of a "he said, she said" style -- but entertaining and enlightening because of the period in which it was set and the cast of characters Sylvia and her bookstore attracted.

Have you read 84 Charing Cross Road, Kate?

https://www.amazon.com/Charing-Cross...y+helene+hanff ?

If not, I think you would thoroughly enjoy it. The movie is also very good with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins but it is the book that a truly love.

This is a book for booklovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have you read 84 Charing Cross Road, Kate?

https://www.amazon.com/Charing-Cross...y+helene+hanff ?

If not, I think you would thoroughly enjoy it. The movie is also very good with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins but it is the book that a truly love.

This is a book for booklovers.

Thanks -- looks interesting. Another one for my TBR pile!

Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. The foreword is by Abraham Verghese, author of Cutting For Stone.

I knew this nonfiction book would be heartbreaking and it is. However, it is also beautiful and uplifting in ways that I can't even begin to describe. There are so many wonderful people in the book and the author is one of them.

I recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/When-Breath-B...1-1#nav-subnav
I loved this book! Had it from the library, but decided to also buy it. And now somehow I've discovered Atul Gawande and all his work, which I've read except for Better which is the one I'm now reading.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well I just started "The Other Typist " by Suzanne Rindell. and so far it is really good .

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I just started "The Other Typist " by Suzanne Rindell. and so far it is really good .
Phonelady, checked my read list, and did read The Other Typist awhile ago. It was good.

Lately, I've been enjoying crime stories. I just started Freedomland by Richard Price and thoroughly enjoying.
Concurrently, reading American Pastoral by Philip Roth. The first book in his American Trilogy Series.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished The Olympus Killer and The Church Murders. I enjoyed both but as Ketabcha pointed out they are rather gruesome. I'm going to pass on the third for now. I loved the characters and the Greek culture but was put off with the many editing errors.

Yesterday I started The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko. What a sad story but what a character Ivan was! I'm at the 50% point so should finish it this evening and would recommend it. I will say that I am feeling ever so grateful for all my working, aging body parts.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:26 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,956 times
I am currently reading: The Great West by David Lavender. The book is part of The American Heritage Library. I paid $1.95 for it and the book is in good to very good condition.

The book is about how land was divided up and sold starting with the period of the American Revolution. For some reason I catch myself getting "lost" while reading the book probably due to too many names, side stories and dates at least during the first two chapters. Hopefully as I get deeper into the book it becomes more "smooth" for me.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I loved this book! Had it from the library, but decided to also buy it. And now somehow I've discovered Atul Gawande and all his work, which I've read except for Better which is the one I'm now reading.

I am an Atul Gawande groupie! I have read all of his books and track down any essays that he writes that are published in various sources. He and Abe Verghese are two of my favorite authors and both happen to be physicians as well.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
More like: What book am I not reading. The sun has gone down. I don't want to read Jeffery Deaver's Praying For Sleep after dark. So I'm rereading Mary Higgins Clark, the Cinderella murder. I'll finish the other one during daylight hours

Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,288 times
When The Tea Party Came To Town by Robert Draper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books