Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times

Advertisements

Just finished "84, Charing Cross Road" -- Helene Hanff, and I thank Ketabcha for the recommendation. It was charming and consists entirely of decades of correspondence between the author who lives in the US and a clerk at a used-book dealer in London. A quick, funny and touching read.

I've now moved on to another CD recommendation -- "Everywhere That Mary Went" -- Lisa Scottoline -- a legal thriller that I'm enjoying so far. Scottoline has written many books of this genre and I wanted to start with this, her first, to see if I wanted to order more. I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
I just finished The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. I really enjoyed the first third, it started to lose me toward the middle, and I hated the ending.

It is about the kidnapping of an infant and it just became too convoluted. The only likable character for me was the detective working on the case, and he wasn't a huge part of the story.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 AM

158 posts, read 296,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thanks for that. I ordered the first one. It was a freebie

Yay…I love when I find a new series to read. Now slow down and savor them before you catch up to the author

Atul Gawande's books are wonderful. I need to read more of his books.

I added The Other Typist to my list.

Thanks for a new author. Have you read his Frank Corso series?

Getting ready for our NY trip so I am reading a couple of YA books so I can pass them on to my nieces.

I started Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. It is a cute story that supports individuality.
"From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, hallways hum “Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. Until they are not. Leo urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her - normal."

I also started The Uglies by Scott Westerfield. It is a YA dystopian novel about teens who go through the process to become "pretties"….but of course there is some underlying evilness about it all. I may just wait and get that one from the library…maybe

And lastly one that got really good reviews and I have no idea where I found this one, lol. Zola…you might like this one.

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall. It is early pages yet so I can't tell you how I feel about it yet
"Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all, pure inspiration, Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world’s greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Yes, I have read all of G.M. Ford's books. The Frank Corso series books are well written. Especially "Red Tide".

Another Seattle author I like is Earl Emerson. I've read all his books as well.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-V...eywords=vmware

"Mastering VMware vSphere 6", by Nick Marshall

More fascinating bedside/in-flight reading

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Despite the fact that I have a stack of books by my bedside table, I didn't want to read any of them, so I picked up The Golden Compass for a reread. I enjoyed that series so much the first time I read it--hope it's as fun this time.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:32 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I'm reading We Need to Talk about Kevin. I don't know why, but it's taking me forever to slog through it. It's only like 400 pages, and normally I'd be done in less than a week. I feel like every night I just read another chapter and then put it down. None of that feeling I need to stay up later and read more. It's more like I just need a break.

I'm not sure why. It's not about the subject matter. I'm okay with stories that involve cruelty, murder, or sociopathy. It's well written, so it's not that. I guess the narrator is so unsympathetic to me. I keep thinking "If she were my mother, I'd have gone on a shooting massacre too!" The only thing I related to her on was when she talked about hating the "open" floor plan in their new house, and preferring separate rooms. But that's not much to hold onto in trying to connect with a narrator. You'd think I could connect with her on the desire to not have children, since that's been my choice. But she violated her own preference, for pretty stupid reasons in my opinion (thought it would be an "interesting journey"), and had to face the consequences. I keep thinking, "maybe you should have gone with your gut." Over and over, she has this attitude that the world is only there to be of entertainment to her.

I was also kind of hoping that the book would include correspondence between both parents, not just from the mother to the father. I feel like I'm craving his point of view, and I'm convinced that apart from his willful blind eye toward the son's problems, that I'd probably like the father much better than I care for the mother.

I only passed the half-way point in the book and it's been a week. Ugh, reading the book and spending time with the narrator is like having to suffer through a visit or conversation with someone I secretly hate.
If the author planned it this way, then she's a genius!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I'm reading Sister Mother Husband Dog by Delia Ephron. It is a collection of essays about everything from her sister's (Nora) death to her sweet dog, Honey. It is poignant, funny and just the right amount of snarky! Loving it!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm reading We Need to Talk about Kevin. I don't know why, but it's taking me forever to slog through it. It's only like 400 pages, and normally I'd be done in less than a week. I feel like every night I just read another chapter and then put it down. None of that feeling I need to stay up later and read more. It's more like I just need a break.

I'm not sure why. It's not about the subject matter. I'm okay with stories that involve cruelty, murder, or sociopathy. It's well written, so it's not that. I guess the narrator is so unsympathetic to me. I keep thinking "If she were my mother, I'd have gone on a shooting massacre too!" The only thing I related to her on was when she talked about hating the "open" floor plan in their new house, and preferring separate rooms. But that's not much to hold onto in trying to connect with a narrator. You'd think I could connect with her on the desire to not have children, since that's been my choice. But she violated her own preference, for pretty stupid reasons in my opinion (thought it would be an "interesting journey"), and had to face the consequences. I keep thinking, "maybe you should have gone with your gut." Over and over, she has this attitude that the world is only there to be of entertainment to her.

I was also kind of hoping that the book would include correspondence between both parents, not just from the mother to the father. I feel like I'm craving his point of view, and I'm convinced that apart from his willful blind eye toward the son's problems, that I'd probably like the father much better than I care for the mother.

I only passed the half-way point in the book and it's been a week. Ugh, reading the book and spending time with the narrator is like having to suffer through a visit or conversation with someone I secretly hate.
If the author planned it this way, then she's a genius!

Have you read Defending Jacob by William Landay?

I think you might like that one, TracySam. I did not care for Let's Talk About Kevin because I did not like the characters and there was too much "churn" in it.

Defending Jacob is an exceptional book, IMO. I really cared about the characters and the story grabs you from page one. I actually love the book.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Default Hope this isn't a repeat...

Toggling between Stevie Cameron's On the Take, about Brian Mulroney's corruption and Million Dollar Bash, about Bob Dylan and the Band. The latter has normal size font so I read it on the go. The former has super-small font so I read it in bed with my "cheaters," i.e. reading glasses.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 2,777 times
"Makeup To Breakup: My Life In And Out Of KISS" by Peter Criss. It's an awesome read...I just wish my attention span were a bit longer so I can get through it a bit faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books