Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Just started reading IT by Stephen King

I figured it would be fitting considering the recent crazy clown outbreaks

Of all the evil doers in all of King's books it is Pennywise the Clown who scared me the most. I was never afraid of clowns until I read that book. Needless to say, IT is one of my favorite books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 12:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. It's set in Russia (duh!), the author is American, and yet, for some odd reason, I "hear" it in my head as a British voice. Ha! Lest you think that it's an audio book (even though I don't even know who narrates it), it's not -- it's on my Kindle. In print.

That is so funny! I hear it in my former boss's voice - he was very proper and would love this book.

My favorite, recent quote - As The Count is observing an Assemply of the All-Russion Union of Railway Workers and taking note of how long-winded the various speakers are:

"Here, indeed, was a formidable sentence - one that was on intimate terms with the comma, and that held the period in healthy disregard."

Old 10-03-2016, 12:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
That is so funny! I hear it in my former boss's voice - he was very proper and would love this book.

My favorite, recent quote - As The Count is observing an Assemply of the All-Russion Union of Railway Workers and taking note of how long-winded the various speakers are:

"Here, indeed, was a formidable sentence - one that was on intimate terms with the comma, and that held the period in healthy disregard."
That quote is brilliant!

I'm loving every sentence uttered between the Count and nine-year-old Nina.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Of all the evil doers in all of King's books it is Pennywise the Clown who scared me the most. I was never afraid of clowns until I read that book. Needless to say, IT is one of my favorite books.

I must say I agree with you and also seeing tim curry as pennywise in the movie It as well scared the bee jesus out of me and ever since I have hated clowns . also all these clown sightings I fear someone is going to get murdered over them .

Old 10-03-2016, 12:39 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Well I have received "Saffire " by Sigmund Brouwer and have started reading and am on chapter three and I am enjoying very much .

Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I've never highlighted so many quotes on my Kindle. I will miss the Colonel. What a wonderdul characterization by Towle.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM

175 posts, read 201,673 times
I just completed Three Dark Crowns, The Court of Rose and Thorns, The Gilded Cage, Architect of Song, P.S. I Love You, Eleanor and Park, The Red Queen, Elsewhere, and The Stone Diaries. My daughter and I started up with subscription boxes. I have The Mothers and Good as Gone coming any day now. Oh, I am just starting Kids of Appetite and should be done in time for the next two.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Por...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The English: A Portrait of a People - Jeremy Paxman

This is my first Paxman book, and hope it lives up to his TV personality as a former current affairs broadcaster & outspoken journo some politicians were too scared to be interviewed by.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am not afraid of clowns, never have been, but yes, Pennywise scared me. I had to rip the cover off the book and then scrape out the picture of the clown on the side. I don't think I managed to finish it I was so traumatized.

The movie, on the other hand, didn't really bother me.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am not afraid of clowns, never have been, but yes, Pennywise scared me. I had to rip the cover off the book and then scrape out the picture of the clown on the side. I don't think I managed to finish it I was so traumatized.

The movie, on the other hand, didn't really bother me.

Pennywise bothered me in the movie but it was the book that really got to me.
"Down here we all float. Yes, we ALL float." Yikes even remembering that line has given me goose bumps.

The only King book I could not finish was "Gerald's Game." I didn't even want to know how it ended. It was too much like real life to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books