Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times

Advertisements

I am currently reading the Book of Exodus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
This is probably the best topic in this whole forum, I'd up your rep by a million if I could Isabella!!!...I can't think of anything more relaxing and entertaining than falling deep into a good book.

1. The 5 People You Meet in Heaven...awesome book, made me bawl my eyes out...if you liked it, then you must read his other one: Tuesdays with Morry, another great book.

2. DaVinci code was phenomenal to say the least, as was D. Brown's other book Angels and Demons...I highly recommend it.

3. Let's see right now I'm doing an Anne Rice run (the Vampire Chronicles) and I'm working my way through what is probably my 100th time doing the Stephen King books (my FAVORITE author) I just finished his Night Shift (again).

Next, I am going to start one I've been meaning to read for about a decade... To Kill a Mockingbird.

4. I also recommend Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas, by James Patterson...major, major tear jerker.

5. If you're into fantasy definitely The Lord of the Rings (all).

6. The Celestine Prophecy and the Tenth Insight by James Redfield (you have to be open minded, they get deep)

7. The Richest Man in Babylon...by George S. Clason (it's fiction about finance...great story while teaching you how to manage money)

8. Lucky Man...autobiography by Michael J. Fox (only book I've ever read that made me laugh and cry at the same time)

9. The President's Vampire...by Robert Schneck (true stories of weird phenomena that have taken place in different parts of the U.S.)

I'll come back with more!!!!

LOVE books by Mitch Albom!! Especially the 5 people you meet in heaven!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Have any of you read books by Katherine Ryan Hide? She wrote Pay It Forward which is a movie I loved. Anyway without realizing it I have been purchasing her books on my kindle to read. I ordered one more this morning. Now I should read one, lol. I think a lot of you may like her books. There are a few for $2.00 if you are interested

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_r...rt=review-rank

Old 12-16-2016, 01:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He does get more into the story as it goes on. I liked the last third better than the first two thirds. But in general, I was underwhelmed. More on that later if you keep reading.
I gave up at 22%. It's just not my thing. The statistics, the analysis of the economy and the steel companies, all that sort of stuff just felt like a textbook to me. I wasn't enjoying it at all. i'm sure that there's a good story in there and I'd love to hear about how he felt growing up and how he broke out of it to get to Yale, but not in this format. A magazine article, just about his struggle, without the outside noise. That's what I'd like to read.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I gave up at 22%. It's just not my thing. The statistics, the analysis of the economy and the steel companies, all that sort of stuff just felt like a textbook to me. I wasn't enjoying it at all. i'm sure that there's a good story in there and I'd love to hear about how he felt growing up and how he broke out of it to get to Yale, but not in this format. A magazine article, just about his struggle, without the outside noise. That's what I'd like to read.
Oh Dawn- I really enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy. I agree that it was at points pretty fact laden but I guess I was just amazed that this was someone's life (and other people on forums have said this was familiar to their reality growing up) and it was just amazing. ( sorry for over use of the word amazing but it was).

On a totally unrelated note, I just this morning finished Anne of Green Gables and thought it was just so delightful. I guess I will seek out some of the series and or watch the movies. As I mentioned, somehow in all my years I had only heard of it but never read it or knew anything about it. I have been doing this lately- reading something that the rest of the world knows all about- and then I say to myself- no wonder it's so popular.

Next up is My Name is Lucy Barton. I was on hold at the library for kindle version for forever, and it's finally my turn.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Oh Dawn- I really enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy. I agree that it was at points pretty fact laden but I guess I was just amazed that this was someone's life (and other people on forums have said this was familiar to their reality growing up) and it was just amazing. ( sorry for over use of the word amazing but it was).

Next up is My Name is Lucy Barton. I was on hold at the library for kindle version for forever, and it's finally my turn.
I'm sure that it is an amazing story; it's just not what I wanted to read. Or the way that I wanted it to be told. I read another memoir recently -- Treyf by Elissa Altman -- and that's exactly how I expect (and want) memoirs to be. Hillbilly Elegy got fabulous reviews. It was even listed in the best 10 books of the year (fiction and non combined) -- maybe even as #1, I don't remember -- by the folks at Amazon. It's just not for me.

I won't tell you what I thought of Lucy Barton.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:59 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,469 times
'Role Models', by John Waters - the filmmaker. Definitely not for everyone but wildly entertaining if you can get into it.

Just started, 'Fallen Angels', by Walter Dean Myers. So far very good.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
I'm just back from a trip to Italy and a friend recommended an American writer -- Donna Leon -- who writes mysteries set in Venice, a city she lived in for many years. I'm reading "Murder at La Fenice" and loving it. Not only is she an excellent writer, but the setting is a city I fell in love with and is newly familiar.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
I finally read The Woman In Cabin Ten. Very good read.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I haven't been on since early December and I am still in a book slump. Combine that with a serious case of the bah humbugs and it's a sad, sad story.

It took me two weeks to read Two if by Sea, and I would rate it in my top 20 worst books ever. The story didn't flow, and the dialog was so weird. Many, many times I had no clue who was talking and there were so many times when I wondered if I had accidentally opened a different book in my Kindle because the story was making no sense at all. Why oh why can't I learn to give up on a book and move on? I suffered the whole way through that darn thing hoping by the end I would have fallen in love with it but it was as awful at the end as it was in the beginning.

I did finally hit on a fairly good book while at Sam's Club. I didn't buy the book there but downloaded the ebook from Amazon. The book is "The Whole Town's Talking" by Fannie Flagg. I love her books because the characters are just such good people. This is far from great literature but a light hearted and amusing read. It was just what I needed at the moment.

I'm going to read back through what I missed on here and maybe I will find a gem for my next read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books