Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 12:27 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
'Role Models', by John Waters - the filmmaker. Definitely not for everyone but wildly entertaining if you can get into it.

Just started, 'Fallen Angels', by Walter Dean Myers. So far very good.
Thank you! That John Waters book is going on my list. Or maybe my Christmas list for someone else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:30 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
I just finished reading Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman by Merle Miller. For a history non-fiction book it is written in plain English and really gives a good picture of the subject of the book, Harry S. Truman. My next book, which I may start today, is likely to be The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
The Informant by Kurt Eichenwald. It's a nonfiction book about the ADM price fixing scandal. It's really interesting, especially since there aren't many books out there that discuss civil court cases.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Just finished (had to renew it for another 3 wks. bc. it was so dense with information, and I needed time to process, absorb, and take notes):
Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions” by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths (2016).
Enjoyed it lots, just very time-consuming to consider deeply.
Quote:
“Optimal stopping tells us when to look and when to leap. The explore/exploit tradeoff tells us how to find the balance between trying new things and enjoying our favorites. Sorting theory tells us how (and whether) to arrange our offices. Caching theory tells us how to fill our closets. Scheduling theory tells us how to fill our time.”
Currently more than 1/3 into “Born A Crime: Stories from A South African Childhood” by Trevor Noah (2016).
Liking it so far (memoir of new Daily Show host), engaging blend of harrowing story & humorous perspective.
Quote:
“The first family were the heirs, so there was always the chance they might get poisoned by the second family. It was like Game of Thrones with poor people.”

Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times
Today I'm reading "Gaelic incantations,charms and blessings of the Hebrides" I like folklore.
Now that's a rare book that only cost me $1.66.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Just finished (had to renew it for another 3 wks. bc. it was so dense with information, and I needed time to process, absorb, and take notes):
Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions” by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths (2016).
Enjoyed it lots, just very time-consuming to consider deeply.
Currently more than 1/3 into “Born A Crime: Stories from A South African Childhood” by Trevor Noah (2016).
Liking it so far (memoir of new Daily Show host), engaging blend of harrowing story & humorous perspective.
I have Trevor's book on hold from the library.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I gave up at 22%. It's just not my thing. The statistics, the analysis of the economy and the steel companies, all that sort of stuff just felt like a textbook to me. I wasn't enjoying it at all. i'm sure that there's a good story in there and I'd love to hear about how he felt growing up and how he broke out of it to get to Yale, but not in this format. A magazine article, just about his struggle, without the outside noise. That's what I'd like to read.
I read the whole book and generally was underwhelmed. It might be because a lot of my family on my mother's side was like his family and I kept thinking "Yeah, and?" And also because even though it was a memoir and was told from a very personal point of view, I thought it rambled way too much and desperately needed editing. Finally, I was hoping for some real insight into modern Midwest culture but didn't learn anything that wasn't common knowledge.

I guess this book just came out at the right time because Vance was interviewed all over the place and widely praised, but I thought it was definitely over-hyped.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished The Book of Jonas by Stephan Dau. Oh my goodness, I've got so much love for this book.

I'll start Hillbilly Elegy next.
I just started Hillbilly Elegy and so far it's very good.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I remember some of the hillbilly vomments.
"Vomments." Is that a portmanteau?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
I finally finished a couple of books. Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy. A very dark, violent book about the kind of people in life who just can't get a break. https://www.amazon.com/Where-All-Lig...o+by+david+joy I'd give it 3 1/2 stars, maybe 4. And then I finally read Water for Elephants which I have had for years. It was a gift and it just got pushed back on my to-read list. Excellent book, 4 1/2 stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books