Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times

Advertisements

Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me by David Miscavige and Dan Koon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 06:03 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
ok well finished My Name is Lucy Barton. It was certainly a "good read" and a quick read. It was so sad and upsetting at least for moi. When it ended though, I thought I had messed up my kindle. It seemed to end rather abruptly for me.
I liked reading it but I don't think it was wonderful by any means. I read Olive Kitteridge several years ago and don't remember ti too clearly, but I do recall it was also sort of bleak but had a lot more to it.
This was just rather strange.
Not certain what will be next.
I have a non fiction The Happiness Hypothesis for book club, so it will either be that or possibly some other old time book I have been thinking about reading.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finally finished a couple of books. Where All Light Tends to Go by David Joy. A very dark, violent book about the kind of people in life who just can't get a break. https://www.amazon.com/Where-All-Lig...o+by+david+joy I'd give it 3 1/2 stars, maybe 4. And then I finally read Water for Elephants which I have had for years. It was a gift and it just got pushed back on my to-read list. Excellent book, 4 1/2 stars.
I really liked Water For Elephants also.

And on to another oldie….Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. It is very good so far.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

And on to another oldie….Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. It is very good so far.
I love FGTatWSC and reread it every so often. The movie is also really good.

I'm reading Masters of Atlantis by Charles Portis and enjoying it. It's a tongue-in-cheek parody about the founding of a secret society--think Rosacrucians, Masons, Scientology. (No disrespect meant to any of those, just that they represent closed organizations with many levels and hoops you have to jump through to rise in the ranks.)

Portis is one of my favorite authors because I love his gentle humor and portrayal of human nature.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I am reading the Legacy journey by Dave Ramsey

Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 PM

12 posts, read 6,850 times
I am currently reading 'The Portable Veblen' by Elizabeth McKenzie liking it.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Both of those movies and books made me cry ...

Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished another Elissa Altman memoir: Poor Man's Feast. I enjoyed it very much, but her second memoir -- Treyf -- was significantly better and told a much better and more layered story. Poor Man's Feast made me eat a lot. And want to cook stuff... that I'll never cook.

Next up: Moonglow by Michael Chabon. I've never been interested in his other books, but this one had big appeal to me. We'll see...

https://www.amazon.com/Moonglow-Nove...words=moonglow

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
I recently read The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse. I would recommend this novel to anyone who knows someone or of a family that has suffered through an eating disorder. It deals with the teenage daughter with the disorder but also with how it affects her entire family. Not necessarily a "feel good" read but certainly opened my eyes to how devastating an eating disorder can be!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 AM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just finished reading Plain Speaking: an Oral Biography of Harry S Truman by Merle Miller. For a history non-fiction book it is written in plain English and really gives a good picture of the subject of the book, Harry S. Truman. My next book, which I may start today, is likely to be The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman.
I changed my mind. I picked up a book I started 10 years ago, Arctic Dreams by Barry López. It was taking up space on my shelf and it got “five stars” from most readers on Goodreads.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books