Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. So far, it's EXCELLENT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/bo...rump.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 11:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
^^^ Good to hear you like "Hillbilly Elegy"; it's next on my list.

Currently I'm just getting into "Rogue Lawyer" by John Grisham -- love it so far. "The Whistler" by John Grisham is in my cue at the library ... might have to purchase it, I am #97 on the waiting list.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:02 AM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I am reading the Yellow Green Beret series of books written by an Asian American and his experiences in the Army as a West Pointer and also as a Special Forces officer (1st Group out of Okinawa).

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Green-.../dp/146352949X

There's a wealth of information on how things are run at West Point, as well as the function of Green Beret A Teams and the selection process. I learned more about Green Berets from these novels than from any other book, as the author goes into detail on the mission scope and capabilities of these super soldiers.

He also doesn't hold back on the bad things he's experienced.

He also deserves credit for directly preventing the Kurds from entering the particularly nasty sectarian wars that occurred in Iraq during 2007.

It really is a most fascinating series, a must read for any fan of the military and Spec Ops soldiers.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Wishing everyone a Happy Hanukkah and a Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Finished, finally, "Death and Deliverance" https://www.amazon.com/DEATH-DELIVER...nd+deliverance earlier in the week.

Found "The Bedford Incident" while moving and am now in that......slowly. Just crossing over into the 2nd chapter.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:47 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Have any of you read books by Katherine Ryan Hide? She wrote Pay It Forward which is a movie I loved. Anyway without realizing it I have been purchasing her books on my kindle to read. I ordered one more this morning. Now I should read one, lol. I think a lot of you may like her books. There are a few for $2.00 if you are interested
I've read several of K.R.H.'s books, including Pay It Forward, not one of my favorites though, I didn't finish it. I did enjoy most of the other books of hers that I had read. Especially "When I Found You and" "Take Me With You". I do plan to read another of her books in the future.

Presently reading:

"Caucasia" By, Danzy Senna

"Some Of My Best Friends Are Black" By, Tanner Colby.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 PM

556 posts, read 788,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Good to hear you like "Hillbilly Elegy"; it's next on my list.

Currently I'm just getting into "Rogue Lawyer" by John Grisham -- love it so far. "The Whistler" by John Grisham is in my cue at the library ... might have to purchase it, I am #97 on the waiting list.
Save your $$ on "The Whistler" wait for the library or pick it up cheap at used books soon.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:14 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
How the Post Office Created America, by Winifred Gallagher.

I was a logistics / transportation major as an undergrad, and worked in both the rail and trucking industries, so anything involving the movement of people and goods catches my attention. But this is not a work for the technically-oriented "rivet counter" types.

It is a well organized story of how the American postal system assumed a mission -- uniting a diverse and dispersed population via a common goal, and in doing so, both far eclipsed the efforts of its European contemporaries, and played an important role in the development of our infrastructure. A sometimes challenging read, but populated with a number of important personalities not that well-remembered today; and the ladies will likely enjoy a chapter devoted to the evolution of "the personal post".

Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Finished "The Bedford Incident" just a few minutes ago, now have started on "The Widows of Eastwick"....it's been starting at me, spine wise, as I laid in bed reading.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
"Deep Run Roots," by Vivian Howard. It's a huge cookbook about regional NC cooking. Vivian is the chef on A Chef's Life, and owner of Chef and the Farmer restaurant in NC.
The book is chock full of good stories, so I'm enjoying it. Will I ever make some of those recipes? Heck no, but the price of the book is worth it for the Beet Tzatziki I had at the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books