Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2016, 03:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

I have been re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I am currently reading Drums of Autumn. I've always wondered about comments where people say they missed so much the 1st time they read a book or similar comments but I really get it now. I think it's all about frame of mind and where one is in their life when they are reading a book because I feel like it is a whole new experience re-reading these books. I'm loving them more this time than I did the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 05:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Today, I read Genesis 41:1-41:52 in Torah Study. I continue to read Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez for my normal reading.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:03 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've read a couple of books since I last posted but no longer remember just what they were. However I am 33% into The Trouble With Goats and Sheep and I'm very taken with it so far. It's partly a murder mystery and partly a coming-of-age story. The voice reminds me very much of The Love Song of Queenie Hennessy. It's set in 1970s Britain. https://www.amazon.com/Trouble-Goats...+joanna+cannon
I finished The Trouble With Goats and Sheep last night. A very good book. 4 1/2 stars. And I actually meant to compare it to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Then I was fumbling around a bit as I had not wanted it to end. I never was able to get into The Love Song of Queenie Hennessey but I am now reading Perfect by the same author, Rachel Joyce.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Trouble With Goats and Sheep last night. A very good book. 4 1/2 stars. And I actually meant to compare it to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. Then I was fumbling around a bit as I had not wanted it to end. I never was able to get into The Love Song of Queenie Hennessey but I am now reading Perfect by the same author, Rachel Joyce.
I really liked Perfect.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:03 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I finally finished The Happiness Hypothesis which was really a good book but it was more like a textbook. It delved into the various cultural setting and biology of happiness and all that. ( Twas a lot of work reading it but it was good.
I am reading Treyf which Dawn recommended. I am not loving it....

2nd TrickOp had written about How the Post Office Created America, by Winifred Gallagher. Somehow it caught my eye and I got it from the library. My husband actually started it and said it's really good and the writing in particular is very engaging. So I will definitely be looking for that one when Treyf gets finished.

This The Trouble with Goats and Sheep sounds great- as I was totally smitten by both Harold Fry (but particularly Queenie). Never read Perfect..... going on the to be read list.
I have so many on my to be read list. this is getting exhausting!!!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I have not read a book in six weeks. This is probably the longest that I have gone without reading since I learned to read! The holidays, college kids home and a major kitchen renovation (during the holidays!?!) have left me without any schedule, peace or alone time. When I do have quiet time, I find myself mindlessly wandering through the world wide web.

My resolution for 2017 is to read more and internet less. I appreciate my cyber reading friends on this page and know that you will all support my resolution with plenty of reading suggestions!

Happy 2017, Readers!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have not read a book in six weeks. This is probably the longest that I have gone without reading since I learned to read! The holidays, college kids home and a major kitchen renovation (during the holidays!?!) have left me without any schedule, peace or alone time. When I do have quiet time, I find myself mindlessly wandering through the world wide web.

My resolution for 2017 is to read more and internet less. I appreciate my cyber reading friends on this page and know that you will all support my resolution with plenty of reading suggestions!

Happy 2017, Readers!
You have my sympathies. I went through a kitchen renovation last fall, through winter. I was gasping for air when my old dog passed away in January and pretty much never got it back as my husband as been repeatedly hospitalized since March. A couple of days ago, I somehow, absentmindedly ran away with someone else's grocery cart. When I realised it, I then ran all over the store looking for mine and a very confused looking man who was wondering where his was.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I finished Masters of Atlantis by Charles Portis, if "finish" includes skipping the last 20% and then reading the last few pages. I thought it was sort of funny but mostly tedious. Some of the reviewers said it was the funniest book he'd ever written. Different strokes and all....

I started Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly for my book club. I'm interested in the topic and hope the writing does it justice.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I really liked Perfect.
I read it through the night and I just loved it. Beautiful writing and the story just unfolded and rubbed me raw inside. I gave it five stars. It's a sad story with a happyish ending and those who don't like sad stories might want to avoid it.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Pass in review, friends, ...

The edge of honor / Peter T. Deutermann, 1941-, c1994, St. Martin's Press.

Subjects
  • Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Naval operations, American -- Fiction.
  • Sea stories.
Length
  • 456 pages
Interesting reading - Air warfare & surface control point, radio beacon, rescue & location reference stationed in the Gulf of Tonkin, 1969, VN War. The ship handling & comms & radar & weapons are what interested me. I skipped most of the marriage struggles of the protagonists, but the tactics on station in Tonkin are fascinating. Deutermann served in the USN during VN, so some of this is likely his story, or @ least based on his observations. Also talks about drugs & race issues in the Navy @ that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books