Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 05:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I started Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly for my book club. I'm interested in the topic and hope the writing does it justice.
I recently added that to my TR list. Looking forward to hear what you think of it.

I just finished Too Bad She's A Girl PLaying By Her Own Rules. THe protagonist was supposed to be like Scout from TKAMB. Sadly the book fell short for me.

Now I am back to reading A Faithful Son by Michael Scott Garvin.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...a-faithful-son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.

I think that he has an aversion to commas and I'm finding it distracting. Example: "Even we her thoughtless sons knew that." What? Oh! "Even we, her thoughtless sons, knew that." That's just one of MANY examples I could give, and I only just started the second chapter. Sigh... Other than that, though, I do like his "writing voice" so I'll continue reading.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 01-04-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.

I think that he has an aversion to commas and I'm finding it distracting. Example: "Even we her thoughtless sons knew that." What? Oh! "Even we, her thoughtless sons, knew that." That's just one of MANY examples I could give, and I only just started the second chapter. Sigh... Other than that, though, I do like his "writing voice" so I'll continue reading.
I can usually overlook that after I've read the sentence a couple of times, lol. I liked the story well enough but found it a bit slow and too stereotypical. How are you liking it now?

I just finished one that was written in the first person but the writing was "the mother" and "the father". It drove me nuts.

I'm working my way through my kindle e-books and I am reading Finding Libbie which I am gobbling up. A young woman goes to her grandmother's farm to help her sort through all the family's momentoes so she can move to a smaller place. They come across an old box with a hidden story about the girl's father. He was married once before and the daughter never knew. The next chapter is the beginning of a sweet "first" love story of her father and a young woman. That's as far as I got

Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I can usually overlook that after I've read the sentence a couple of times, lol. I liked the story well enough but found it a bit slow and too stereotypical. How are you liking it now?

I just finished one that was written in the first person but the writing was "the mother" and "the father". It drove me nuts.

I'm working my way through my kindle e-books and I am reading Finding Libbie which I am gobbling up. A young woman goes to her grandmother's farm to help her sort through all the family's momentoes so she can move to a smaller place. They come across an old box with a hidden story about the girl's father. He was married once before and the daughter never knew. The next chapter is the beginning of a sweet "first" love story of her father and a young woman. That's as far as I got
Funny! I usually can't overlook that sort of stuff and end up bailing on it. But, I don't know... I'm really liking some of these characters, especially the three kids (Frank, Jake, and Ariel), so I keep on keeping on.

Wait. What? The person who was writing referred to his or her own parents as "the mother" and "the father"? That I'd bail on. I have no patience for that kind of nonsense.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny! I usually can't overlook that sort of stuff and end up bailing on it. But, I don't know... I'm really liking some of these characters, especially the three kids (Frank, Jake, and Ariel), so I keep on keeping on.

Wait. What? The person who was writing referred to his or her own parents as "the mother" and "the father"? That I'd bail on. I have no patience for that kind of nonsense.

I loved Frank.

Yes…"the mother" and "the father"…I thought i was reading a different book. It was bad.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Hi, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's been a while (again) since I've read this thread and I I found many new books that seems to be really interesting! Thank you all!

I've read quite a few books in the last weeks/months:

Moerder im Gespensterwald by Frank Goyke - a German Baltic see crime story

Dead City by Joe McKinney - BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander - quite okay but I've read better historical fiction

The Glass Castle by Jeannette walls - my first memoir ever and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUNNING !!!! MOVING !!!

Gunslinger, 1st book of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - quite okay but I think I won't read the books in this series.

Calendar Girl (April, May and June) by Aurdrey Carlan - very shallow and boring

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - I LOVED IT. I cried through the whole book.

The Deceived by Charlotte Link - I couldn't find if it's already translated into English. It was published in 2015. However, it was quite an okay crime story. I liked her descriptions of the English country side a lot.

Now I'm nearly halfway through Carrie by Stephen King. Seems to be a good and quick read.

Have a great time y'all!
Diana

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
The Secret Life of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I'm currently reading "Crippen " by John Boyne and if you recognize that name it is because he wrote the book "the boy in the stripped pajamas " . I'm enjoying Crippen very much and really like it and I will read some others of his .

Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Pinetreelover you should let us know how you like the Hidden Figures one and I currently have "just life by neil Abramson on my hold list at the library I cannot wait to get it . I read unsaid by him and cried my eyes out so to me if I cry that is an awesome book sorry that is how I judge a book ....LOL .Maybe you would like Crippen the one I am currently reading and one I bought I'm waiting on is "we were the kennedys " not the famous ones just people with the same last name LOL by monica wood heard she writes some awesome books and it got good reviews too .

Old 01-06-2017, 11:51 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I've read quite a few books in the last weeks/months:

Gunslinger, 1st book of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - quite okay but I think I won't read the books in this series.
Before you give up on this series, I suggest that you read the second Dark Tower, The Drawing of Three, which is the book that hooked me on the series

Good to have you back & HNY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books