Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 PM

443 posts, read 437,302 times

Advertisements

Just started Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Hi, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's been a while (again) since I've read this thread and I I found many new books that seems to be really interesting! Thank you all!

I've read quite a few books in the last weeks/months:

Moerder im Gespensterwald by Frank Goyke - a German Baltic see crime story

Dead City by Joe McKinney - BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander - quite okay but I've read better historical fiction

The Glass Castle by Jeannette walls - my first memoir ever and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUNNING !!!! MOVING !!!

Gunslinger, 1st book of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - quite okay but I think I won't read the books in this series.

Calendar Girl (April, May and June) by Aurdrey Carlan - very shallow and boring

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - I LOVED IT. I cried through the whole book.

The Deceived by Charlotte Link - I couldn't find if it's already translated into English. It was published in 2015. However, it was quite an okay crime story. I liked her descriptions of the English country side a lot.

Now I'm nearly halfway through Carrie by Stephen King. Seems to be a good and quick read.

Have a great time y'all!
Diana
Yes nice to see you back Miguel's Mom!
I read The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander (and also the Romanov Bride) and remember really liking the Kitchen Boy much more. I don't really know the history too well but it was a very good read and some people I know who are way more knowledgeable thought it was pretty good as well.
The Glass Castle was very good- agreed. Hilbilly Elegy is sure worth whirl (Reminded me of Glass Castle).

I too enjoy a varied bunch ( although I have definitely enjoyed Ludlum/Silva/Picoult I don't tend to gravitate to them and am almost resistant.)
As an in between, I just started House of Mirth (never read). I am enjoying it but it's taking some work and time.
Welcome Back!

Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
“You’ll Grow Out Of It” by Jessi Klein (2016), humorous essays by comedian/writer.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Before you give up on this series, I suggest that you read the second Dark Tower, The Drawing of Three, which is the book that hooked me on the series

Good to have you back & HNY
Thank you for your feedback. Okay, then I'll try to get the second Dark Tower book in the used book store

Old 01-09-2017, 01:58 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
I just finished Carrie by Stephen King. I just don't know why I haven't started reading King's books earlier. In my youth they just weren't my cup of tea. Carrie was really good and oh so sad.

Now I'm a few pages into "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini. I like The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns very much. I do hope this one will be as good!

Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 AM

6 posts, read 4,936 times
i am reading book "Seven Habits" , kindly tell me a book "A Million Little Pieces" that u read.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I just finished Carrie by Stephen King. I just don't know why I haven't started reading King's books earlier. In my youth they just weren't my cup of tea. Carrie was really good and oh so sad.

Now I'm a few pages into "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini. I like The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns very much. I do hope this one will be as good!
When you're looking at different Stephen King books, keep in mind that he went through a bad period of cocaine and alcohol abuse. The stuff he wrote during those years is not very good, IMO. His early stuff and more recent stuff has been very entertaining. I particularly liked Hearts in Atlantis and 11/22/63.

I'm about 60 pages into Hidden Figures and a little frustrated. The author jumps around a lot and it feels like 60 pages of introduction so far. I just want her to really tell me about these women!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Audio book: Station 11. Paperback: The Conspiracy Club, Jonathan Kellerman.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I am currently reading the Book of Leviticus.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
I just finished "The Red Notebook" -- Antoine Laurian -- and found it to be a charming read. It's very short, but completely satisfying. I loved his characters and he creates an entirely familiar picture of residential Paris. I'll look for more of his books and thanks to whoever recommended this author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books