Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson

That is a completely wonderful book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Oh my goodness you guys . "when we were the kennedys " by monica wood is so good you all must give this one a try . I have cried and laughed and everything in between with this book LOL . Pick up a copy and I will be checking out more books by Monica Wood .

Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When you're looking at different Stephen King books, keep in mind that he went through a bad period of cocaine and alcohol abuse. The stuff he wrote during those years is not very good, IMO. His early stuff and more recent stuff has been very entertaining. I particularly liked Hearts in Atlantis and 11/22/63.

I'm about 60 pages into Hidden Figures and a little frustrated. The author jumps around a lot and it feels like 60 pages of introduction so far. I just want her to really tell me about these women!
Well I didn't know that little detail of his past because I never thought about his books in the past. Thank you for the information! I tried to read The Green Mile which just didn't catch me at this time and I didn't finish it.

My first Stephen King book which I read last year was Shining and I absolutely loved it. I also read Dr. Sleep, which was a sequel to Shining. It was also quite good.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
Hey readers,
I just read Eviction: Poverty and Profit in the American City. At first I was thinking, "Who wants to read about a bunch of poor people," but it's really a good book. It follows a group of families in Milwaukie who live in desperate poverty. It follows the tenants and the landlords (Or slumlords? You really see their side of the story too.)

It's a real eye opening look at the problem of affordable housing and poverty.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I'm a few pages from the end of Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty and it was just the trick to shake me out of a 7 week non-reading slump. It is quirky and fluffy, but that felt just right for right now!

Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm a few pages from the end of Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty and it was just the trick to shake me out of a 7 week non-reading slump. It is quirky and fluffy, but that felt just right for right now!
I felt the same way about The Red Notebook.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I've been on an Evelyn Waugh kick. Wicked English sense of humor and satire about the British upper class during the Edwardian years.

Right now it's "Vile Bodies."

Soon I'll be back in Mexico for winter vacation and I'll switch over to a book I've been reading for years now and am still not done! It's the actual diary of Spanish Conquistador, Bernal Diaz del Castillo, traveling from Spain to Cuba and through Yucatan with Hernan Cortes.

It's very interesting but as cumbersome to me as it must have been tramping through all that jungle with armor on. So I'm taking it in little bites. Looks like it will take a lot more trips to finish it. Heh.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:17 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Sigh- I am still reading House of Mirth. I see so many great books mentioned here. I am at 70% so hopefully this long weekend I get to make some big progress.

I still haven't looked at the post office book which I think will be good but I tend to read non fiction less closely. More for enjoyment, less for taking a test on it.)
After that, I hope to read News of the World which my sister's book club read and she highly recommended. It's also not a very long book so it's got that going for it.
I have so many books on hold at the library and a few should be coming up shortly. I really am trying to read more than I have been as I waste so much time on the computer.
when we were the kennedys " by monica wood looks promising as does Eviction: Poverty and Profit in the American City.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started An Untamed State by Roxane Gay. So far, so good. I like the way she tells a story.
I finally finished this book. I'm conflicted; I don't know if I really liked it.

I had to do some research to determine how common kidnappings are in Haiti since I have a hard time reading fiction that is truly make-believe -- I like fiction that tells a story of something that *could* really happen. Okay, they happen (horrible!), so I kept on reading.

The horrors that Miri endured were just that -- horrors. They were difficult to read.

Other difficult parts were in relation to *how* the book was written, such as:

- The repetitiveness. How many times did she have to say "I am nobody" after determining that she had to separate herself from the her "in the before" in order to survive? I get it. I got it from the first dozen times.
- The weird dialogue. Most people speak in contractions -- "I'm" instead of "I am" -- but much of the dialogue did not (didn't you see what I did there? ) use contractions. That made the dialogue sound so formal and stilted.
- Some parts were unbelievable to me, like her running away and spending months with her in-laws to find herself again. That's just one example.

Despite its terrific reviews, I can't recommend this book. There are too many flaws that can't be overlooked.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
The Politics of American Foreign Policy by Peter Hays Gries. I know, heavy reading, but it's a thought-provoking and, frankly, unsettling exploration of our nation's hyper-partisanship through the lens of foreign affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books