Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 05:11 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times

Advertisements

I finally found a decent book after months of average, under-edited books. Karen White has come back with a 5th book in the Tradd Street series, "Guests on South Battery". This series actually has developed characters and fast moving plots.

Next up in the queue is "The RIver at Night" a girls vacation goes wrong in the Maine wilderness. A lot of sites are calling this a "stunning" debut,, but lately I wonder how many of these sites and magazines pick some of these "must read" books. A lot of them turned out to be duds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm reading Mary and O'Neil: A Novel in Stories by Justin Cronin.

I found a mistake around page 50 (yes! I'm reading the PAPER version!): One of the characters plays the trombone and had to be back at the college because the band was starting at 9:30. A page or so later, the band was taking its first break, after its first set, and it was... 9:30. Editor, where art thou? (I'm amused now. O'Neil's father is Arthur, sometimes called Art.)

Anyway.

That mistake aside, I'm enjoying it. It's a "quiet" book, a softly told story. I'm liking the characters -- especially O'Neil, even though we don't really know him yet. I'm hoping to like him more and more as the story (well, storIES, since it's a "novel in stories -- a la Olive Kitteridge) unfolds.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I'm still reading "just life " by neil Abramson so far it is excellent . I love it ....

Old 01-16-2017, 07:13 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Finally finished The Child of the Sea by Goudge. While I liked the premise of the book, I found this novel of hers to be a quite difficult read. Too often, I was pulled out of the book when I had to reread a sentence several times in order to glean its meaning. The lack of commas in long sentences with multiple clauses drove me crazy. I remembered loving The Scent of Water and Green Dolphin Street so I was a bit disappointed.

Up next is Dark Inheritance by the Gears. This novel is different from their First American series as it is a sci-fi thriller. I don't usually like thrillers, but I did like the premise posted on the book jacket's cover so we shall see.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:40 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default A hardscrabble story

The Gallup 14 : a novel / Gary L. Stuart, 1939- , c2000, U. NM Press.

Subjects

• Anti-communist movements -- New Mexico -- History -- Fiction.
  • Political fiction.
  • Gallup (N.M.) -- History -- Fiction.
Length xiii, 332 pages ;

Very interesting reading, historical fiction based on real events in 1935 NW N. Mexico - coal mining, land speculation, political corruption, the criminal justice system, unions, Mexicans & Mexican-Americans, other miners, the Depression, labor unrest, railroads.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:17 PM

560 posts, read 849,025 times
Getting close to finishing Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton. I've enjoyed it.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
All Summer Long, Dorothea Benton Frank.
Fluff. I Love fluff.
To quote the motto of Seinfeld, which was, No learning, no hugging. Her books are, no thinking, no learning. Love it.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
"The Daily Show (The Book): An Oral History as told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests" by Chris Smith (2016).
It's 400+ pgs. but am making good headway through it, and since I like the show I find the backstories of interest.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
"The Daily Show (The Book): An Oral History as told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests" by Chris Smith (2016).
It's 400+ pgs. but am making good headway through it, and since I like the show I find the backstories of interest.
Sounds interesting cloven! Thanks for the mention -- I've added it to my list.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Hidden Figures and it has gotten much better. It meandered at first but the writing has settled down and the story of the women computers during WWII and the early days of the space program is fascinating. I also saw the movie with my book club this weekend. On the one hand, seeing it helped me keep the characters straight in my head. On the other hand, the movie is not very true to the book and engages in a lot of Disneyesque tense plot twists followed by feel good resolutions that simply didn't happen. I understand that a movie needs a plot and tension, but I think it does a disservice to the people whose real lives it attempts to portray.

But I heartily recommend the book and if you're not feeling it after 50 pages, it pays to keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books