Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
"The Daily Show (The Book): An Oral History as told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests" by Chris Smith (2016).
It's 400+ pgs. but am making good headway through it, and since I like the show I find the backstories of interest.
I'm just starting The Daily Show book. Trevor Noah's book not available yet from library. I like Trevor but miss Stewart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Hidden Figures and it has gotten much better. It meandered at first but the writing has settled down and the story of the women computers during WWII and the early days of the space program is fascinating. I also saw the movie with my book club this weekend. On the one hand, seeing it helped me keep the characters straight in my head. On the other hand, the movie is not very true to the book and engages in a lot of Disneyesque tense plot twists followed by feel good resolutions that simply didn't happen. I understand that a movie needs a plot and tension, but I think it does a disservice to the people whose real lives it attempts to portray.

But I heartily recommend the book and if you're not feeling it after 50 pages, it pays to keep going.
I have Hidden Figures on hold.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading Mary and O'Neil: A Novel in Stories by Justin Cronin.

I found a mistake around page 50 (yes! I'm reading the PAPER version!): One of the characters plays the trombone and had to be back at the college because the band was starting at 9:30. A page or so later, the band was taking its first break, after its first set, and it was... 9:30. Editor, where art thou? (I'm amused now. O'Neil's father is Arthur, sometimes called Art.)

Anyway.

That mistake aside, I'm enjoying it. It's a "quiet" book, a softly told story. I'm liking the characters -- especially O'Neil, even though we don't really know him yet. I'm hoping to like him more and more as the story (well, storIES, since it's a "novel in stories -- a la Olive Kitteridge) unfolds.
I finished it. I loved it. Tears were shed.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about two-thirds of the way through Hidden Figures and it has gotten much better. It meandered at first but the writing has settled down and the story of the women computers during WWII and the early days of the space program is fascinating. I also saw the movie with my book club this weekend. On the one hand, seeing it helped me keep the characters straight in my head. On the other hand, the movie is not very true to the book and engages in a lot of Disneyesque tense plot twists followed by feel good resolutions that simply didn't happen. I understand that a movie needs a plot and tension, but I think it does a disservice to the people whose real lives it attempts to portray.

But I heartily recommend the book and if you're not feeling it after 50 pages, it pays to keep going.

I started it last week then life happened, lol. I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
"Swell Foop" by Piers Anthony.
Yeah, I'm reading the Xanth series (again).
The puns are fun.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I received an arc yesterday and I will have to review it after I read it . it is called echos of family . so far I'm only on chapter 2 but it looks like it will be an awesome book . I'm going to put hidden figures on my tbr list . I would love to see the movie but I know I wont be able too . I will wait til it comes out on dvd .I wonder how Kathryn must feel that knowing half of those astronaunts that she knew personally are now gone . But she has her memories I'm sure and she can look back on them fondly.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:19 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
My book slump has finally ended thanks to Dawn. I loved The President's Hat. It was a thoroughly charming book.

I followed with a book called The Buried Book by D.M. Pulley. This was such a well told story. It was sad but not cry your eyes out sad. The character development was wonderful and I was heartened to see that the author didn't go the predictable route in regards to the main character's relatives. I was fully prepared for them to be ogres but I loved the whole "salt of the earth" crew.

Not sure what's up next. The Red Notebook or D.M. Pulley's first book but I am so very glad that I'm back in the groove.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default The stars my destination

War dogs, c2014, Orbit

Authors
  • Bear, Greg.
Subjects
  • Imaginary wars and battles -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "They came in peace, bearing gifts. The Gurus were a highly advanced species who brought amazingly useful and sophisticated technology to the human race. There was, of course, a catch. They warned of a far more malevolent life form, beings who have hounded the Gurus across the cosmos. The media have taken to calling them the Antagonists -- or Antags -- and they have already established a beachhead on Mars. For all they've done for us, the Gurus now need our help. Enter Master Sergeant Michael Venn, a veteran Skyrine who is dropped onto the Red Planet with his band of brothers on a mission to turn back the Antag tide. But the Skyrines will face impossible odds just to survive -- let alone make it home alive. "-- Provided by publisher.
Length
  • 322 pages :
Science Fiction, the first of a trilogy. Bear is excellent - Eon, other books. I read Killing Titan, the 2nd of the three, not realizing it was a series. Very odd, by itself. Much better to read them in sequence.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Darktown, by Thomas Mullen -- a police procedural set in Atlanta in the late Forties, and depicting the daily lives of the city's first Afro-American police officers; the unequal standards they faced in the days before Jim Crow had been deposed.

Author Mullen has not limited himself to crime fiction, but appears to have done his research for this first foray into the genre very carefully; a captivating cross between Walter Mosley, James Lee Burke and James Ellroy.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times
The Book of Kells by RA MacAvoy Just over half-way through. A bit slow to start but picking up steam. Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books