Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Re-read for 3rd or 4th time "The Dead House" by Harry Bingham--#5 in the Fiona Griffiths police series--
If you enjoy police procedurals with a slightly off-beat element then I recommend these---
Bingham's series uses first person narration of main character CID officer Fiona Griffiths, adopted daughter of Welsh crime boss, with a fey uncanny, almost autistic genius for intuiting crimes, especially murderers, and who grows her own cannabis...
She often forgets to eat, doesn't have any fashion sense, but she can suss out clues and knows crav magraw...

I am so hoping that BBC will turn the books into a series--like the Sherlock or Inspector Lyndley novels...
Maybe Felicity Jones but think someone unknown and a little less of a beauty would be better for Fiona...

Really enjoy these novels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:49 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Love me, love my dogstar

Take back the sky / Greg Bear, c2016, Orbit.

Subjects
  • Imaginary wars and battles -- Fiction.
  • Life on other planets -- Fiction.
  • Extraterrestrial beings -- Fiction.
  • Human-alien encounters -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "Marooned beneath the icy, waxy crust of Saturn's moon, Titan, Skyrine Michael Venn and his comrades face double danger from Earth and from the Antagonists, both intent on wiping out their growing awareness of what the helpful alien Gurus are really doing in our solar system. Haunted by their dead and by the ancient archives of our Bug ancestors, the former combatants must now team up with their enemies, forget their indoctrination and their training, and journey far beyond Pluto to the fabled Planet X, the Antagonists' home world, a Sun-Planet in the comet-generating Kuiper belt. It's here that Master Sergeant Venn will finally understand his destiny and the destiny of every intelligent being in the solar system-including the enigmatic Gurus."-- Provided by publisher.
Series
  • War dogs ; 3
  • War dogs ;
Length
  • 295 pages ;
The conclusion to the War Dogs trilogy. A vivid imagining of a strange interstellar war - witty, occasionally brutal, flashes of fighting & military attitudes. Big ideas, cleverly told from various POVs. Fighting on & under Mars, Titan, around Pluto, & somewhere out in the vastness of the Kuiper Belt. Well-grounded characters, remarkable ideas.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Had to put echoes of family down , because inheriting edith and magadalen girls came in at the library . I have already started Magdalen girls because the lady at the library wooed and awed over it and said she loved it . So I must say it does seem to be pretty good at conveying how things can go terribly wrong when they were not meant too LOL .

Old 01-21-2017, 09:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
A sweet friend of mine loves to recommend books and always asks me if I have read her suggestions. She is so stinkin' nice that I always want to read the books she suggestions, but I have concluded we just dont have the same taste in reading material. Just finished The Book that Matters Most by Ann Hood. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't. Way, way too much talk about books (odd, since I obviously love books) and heroin (not odd because I don't love or even know anything about heroin), and geographically accurate (I assume) references to Providence, RI.

I'm going to be braver the next time she asks me about a book and politely say.... Oh, never mind. That is just big talk. I'm sure she will sweetly talk me into another one of her favorites and I'll have to come here to vent.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
A Woman Looking at Men Looking at Women: Essays on Art, Sex, and the Mind” by Siri Hustvedt (2016).
It's 500 pgs. & may be too dense with intellect for me, but I'm gonna' aim high & give it a go.
Picked it up because I'd enjoyed an earlier book of hers, "The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves", which was half the length of this tome.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I just finished News of the World which I did not really enjoy. It's historical fiction and the premise is really interesting but I have to say even for it being a small book (just over 200 pages) it really dragged on and back in the day I would not have finished it. t was recommended to me, and a few other people mentioned it being good so I stuck with it. I don't care about the river name and the direction of the current and all of that detail. I want a story and there really was a very good story here but I had to work too hard to get to it.
But I finished it!!
And now, I get to read The Whole Town's Talking which I just got on kindle from the library yesterday. So happy! Gong to start it shortly. (and expecting to thoroughly enjoy).

Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I tried A Hundred Thousand Worlds by Bob Proehl. That didn't work for me. I gave up at about 15%.
I tried Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney. That didn't work for me either. I think I got to about 10%.
I tried a few others, too, none of which had been mentioned on this forum, and none of those worked for me either.

I just started The Nix by Nathan Hill. It's working for me. It's a debut novel and, damn, he can write. It's early going yet -- I'm only at 5% (and it's a pretty long book at 642 pages) -- but he even got me to read the (long) sections about the video game that Samuel was playing. That's usually the kiss of death for me but the author makes it a walk in the park (and made me smile and chuckle during that walk). Like I said: mad skillz.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I tried A Hundred Thousand Worlds by Bob Proehl. That didn't work for me. I gave up at about 15%.
I tried Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney. That didn't work for me either. I think I got to about 10%.
I tried a few others, too, none of which had been mentioned on this forum, and none of those worked for me either.

I just started The Nix by Nathan Hill. It's working for me. It's a debut novel and, damn, he can write. It's early going yet -- I'm only at 5% (and it's a pretty long book at 642 pages) -- but he even got me to read the (long) sections about the video game that Samuel was playing. That's usually the kiss of death for me but the author makes it a walk in the park (and made me smile and chuckle during that walk). Like I said: mad skillz.
I keep coming across The Nix in my recommendations and I may have the sample downloaded. I don't remember what it is about though.

Having finished Mother Earth, Father Sky, I am now reading The Sky Unwashed, a novel about Chernobyl. I have just finished the sample and so far, so great. https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Unwashed-...5123251&sr=1-1

Old 01-22-2017, 04:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:

Update: (Yes, already.) I'm now at 7%. I'm at the chapter where the main character is having a conversation with one of his students and I'm DYING laughing. (In my head. I don't laugh out loud when I'm reading. But if I were one of those people, I would TOTALLY guffaw my face off.) This man -- Nathan Hill -- is flippin' brilliant at what he does. (He writes. That's what he does. Stay with me here, people.)

Old 01-22-2017, 05:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Adding to my TBR list - I'm a sucker for debut novels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books