Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:07 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness I just finished the Magdalen girls by VS Alexander and it was awesome . I left raving reviews and I hope I can read another great book by this author . I am onto "Inheriting Edith " . I hope this one is as good as the Magdalene girls . I love good books ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading Where Am I Now, a memoir by Mara Wilson, and loving it. Wilson was a very popular child actress (Mrs. Doubtfire, Matilda, Miracle on 34th Street) and then sort of disappeared from the acting world. I've followed her blog off and on and have been rooting for her all these years. I'm delighted to say that although she has been through some very difficult times, she has emerged as a lovely adult woman with a lot of insight about growing up, loss, perceptions of beauty and dealing with anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. The book makes you want to give her a big hug just because she's her.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm reading Where Am I Now, a memoir by Mara Wilson, and loving it. Wilson was a very popular child actress (Mrs. Doubtfire, Matilda, Miracle on 34th Street) and then sort of disappeared from the acting world. I've followed her blog off and on and have been rooting for her all these years. I'm delighted to say that although she has been through some very difficult times, she has emerged as a lovely adult woman with a lot of insight about growing up, loss, perceptions of beauty and dealing with anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. The book makes you want to give her a big hug just because she's her.
Funny, I don't care for her one way or another. I mean, I remember her from Mrs. Doubtfire but then promptly forgot about her. But your post here made me interested. And I skimmed a few of the reviews. Anyway, all that to say that -- even though I've never read an actor/actress memoir and had no plans to -- I put it on my TBR list.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny, I don't care for her one way or another. I mean, I remember her from Mrs. Doubtfire but then promptly forgot about her. But your post here made me interested. And I skimmed a few of the reviews. Anyway, all that to say that -- even though I've never read an actor/actress memoir and had no plans to -- I put it on my TBR list.
Because of my daughter, we watched Matilda probably more than any other kid movie. It's really great, by the way, no matter how old you are.

I put The Nix on my TBR list as well. It sounds really good.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Because of my daughter, we watched Matilda probably more than any other kid movie. It's really great, by the way, no matter how old you are.

I put The Nix on my TBR list as well. It sounds really good.
I'll watch the movie next time they run it on TV. I know that I've seen it listed before, so I'm sure it'll be back.

I had a bit of a worrisome moment at about 15% of The Nix. I thought, "Oh no. No, no, no. This is becoming farcical. I don't *do* slapstick or silly or farce. Nooooooo!" But it was just that one part, in the airport, and then it went back to great and my heart stopped beating erratically. I wish that I didn't have work to do. I'd like nothing more than to read it all day.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I read Insight Guides:Texas last week

Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I just finished Young and Beardless by John Luke Robertson today.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Update: (Yes, already.) I'm now at 7%. I'm at the chapter where the main character is having a conversation with one of his students and I'm DYING laughing. (In my head. I don't laugh out loud when I'm reading. But if I were one of those people, I would TOTALLY guffaw my face off.) This man -- Nathan Hill -- is flippin' brilliant at what he does. (He writes. That's what he does. Stay with me here, people.)
Dawn, I bailed during the gaming episode and forgot about The Nix. After I read your post this morning, I checked back and started reading at 5%. Samuel's conversations with himself (the healthy diet) and with the student are hilarious.
I've finished Loner. Well written and a captivating read. The ending was a complete surprise.

I always enjoy reading President Obama's book recommendations. His last one included Gillian Flynn's novels. I liked Gone Girl so I ordered Dark Places. I'm at 14% and will continue.
Zadie Smith's Swing Time is still holding my attention.

Ketabcha, I finished Another Brooklyn. Exquisitely written spare novel. Well drawn characters and hard to put down. Even though fiction, read like a memoir. I will read Brown Girl Dreaming.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Dawn, I bailed during the gaming episode and forgot about The Nix. After I read your post this morning, I checked back and started reading at 5%. Samuel's conversations with himself (the healthy diet) and with the student are hilarious.
I've finished Loner. Well written and a captivating read. The ending was a complete surprise.

[/b]
I'm so glad that you liked Loner. I thought it was fabulous too, especially the ending.

That wasn't Samuel's conversation with himself in The Nix. That was the "head gamer" talking to himself. Hilarious anyway. And, yes, Samuel's conversation with the student. Also fabulous. Then, when he had the meeting at the airport, I thought, UH OH! FARCE ALERT! But then when I got to Part 2 -- Samuel as a child -- I fell back in love with the book.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Sacred Ties. (Tom Carhart).
Good non-fiction read, on West Point cadets who were friends, that ended up on opposite sides of the Civil War.
Sad, compelling account.
I'm about 1/4th of the way thru. The War's just starting, and the cadets Carhart chose to profile are all alive & well at this point, headed off to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books