Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

I finally finished "And the mountains echoed" by Khaled Houssini. I liked it a lot but it was not as good as A Thousand Splendind Suns.

I still have Dolores by Stephen King on my bedside table but I chose to start with something completely different: The Space between us by Anna McPartlyn. So let's wait and see.

I'm quite progressing with my reading challenge of 24 books for this year. January is over and I've finished already 3.

Does anybody of you use Good Reads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

The past few years I've done the reading challenge but this year I'm not as I've been re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I'm just enjoying them and haven't been in a big rush to get through them so I skipped the challenge but I do enjoy doing it.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I am currently reading the Book of Numbers.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
Quote:
I finally finished "And the mountains echoed" by Khaled Houssini. I liked it a lot but it was not as good as A Thousand Splendind Suns.

I still have Dolores by Stephen King on my bedside table but I chose to start with something completely different: The Space between us by Anna McPartlyn. So let's wait and see.

I'm quite progressing with my reading challenge of 24 books for this year. January is over and I've finished already 3.

I use Goodreads quite frequently. Its good fun. I am currently reading Life After by Katie Ganshert for Blogging For Books.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
I'm on page 83 of The Underground Railroad from the library -- slogging thru it.

Tell me it gets better ! So far I'm glad I didn't purchase it.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 PM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
I'm reading In the Heart of the Sea, about the sinking of the whaleship Essex in 1820. It became the novel Moby Dick.
I usually like talking a little about a book, but this one, I have no words.
If you like a tense sea adventure, I recommend this book.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Just checking in with a The Nix update. I'm at 73% and OMG!, I never want this book to end. SO GOOD!!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
And I'm updating on The Doubter by Ethan Canin. I am still interested in reading it and will finish it, but this is a not a quick read. So I took a break from mathematics and went on to The Captured, a non-fiction book about children kidnapped by the Indians on the Texas frontier. I can't stop reading although parts of this story might be too gruesome for some people. https://www.amazon.com/Captured-Stor...s=The+captured

If anyone here really, really enjoys mathematics, then you should love The Doubter. It is gorgeously written and the love of the character for numbers and his peculiar genius is wonderfully rendered, even if I don't understand a word of it.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
The past few years I've done the reading challenge but this year I'm not as I've been re-reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I'm just enjoying them and haven't been in a big rush to get through them so I skipped the challenge but I do enjoy doing it.
Oh how I love the Outlander series! I've already read them 4 times. Everytime there is a new book out I start from the beginning. However, after all these years it seems that with "The Fiery Cross" the pull I always felt to the books lessens. The latest two are good again but I believe when there's a new one out I won't start from the first book again

Did you watch the adaption?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

I love Goodreads. It's great for tracking my books and getting recommendations. I like the group challenges also

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I'm on page 83 of The Underground Railroad from the library -- slogging thru it.

Tell me it gets better ! So far I'm glad I didn't purchase it.
Oh no…really? I was planning on reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And I'm updating on The Doubter by Ethan Canin. I am still interested in reading it and will finish it, but this is a not a quick read. So I took a break from mathematics and went on to The Captured, a non-fiction book about children kidnapped by the Indians on the Texas frontier. I can't stop reading although parts of this story might be too gruesome for some people. https://www.amazon.com/Captured-Stor...s=The+captured

If anyone here really, really enjoys mathematics, then you should love The Doubter. It is gorgeously written and the love of the character for numbers and his peculiar genius is wonderfully rendered, even if I don't understand a word of it.
Thanks I will look into those.

I am just starting Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. It is one of my group monthly reads for January. The story is set during WWII and is told by 3 different women. One a socialite in NY, another a teenager in Poland, and a 3rd woman in Germany who becomes a doctor. At some point their lives collide. I am just learning about each woman and so far I think it will be a good one. This is also based on a true story which I just found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books