Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times

Advertisements

^^^ The Lilac Girls is excellent; one of the few books I would read again. Glad I bought it in hardcover for a keeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of "The beauty queen of Jerusalem "I sure would appreciate it . The library does not know how to get the book either apparently . ugh and amazon and ebay want to charge me an arm and a leg for it . Budget wont allow me to pay that much for a book . if anyone knows where I can grab it for a decent price please let me know thanks ...btw reading the sleepwalker .

Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Oh how I love the Outlander series! I've already read them 4 times. Everytime there is a new book out I start from the beginning. However, after all these years it seems that with "The Fiery Cross" the pull I always felt to the books lessens. The latest two are good again but I believe when there's a new one out I won't start from the first book again

Did you watch the adaption?
I have actually taken a break after starting FC but I really like it with a lot of the every day life. I vowed I wasn't going to re-read until the final book came out but since there will be a 10th I figured I would just dive in. Did you see she a collection of novellas coming out in June?

No, I have not watched the Starz series as I don't want actors becoming the characters. I prefer what I have imagined. Maybe someday but not anytime soon.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:00 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of "The beauty queen of Jerusalem "I sure would appreciate it . The library does not know how to get the book either apparently . ugh and amazon and ebay want to charge me an arm and a leg for it . Budget wont allow me to pay that much for a book . if anyone knows where I can grab it for a decent price please let me know thanks ...btw reading the sleepwalker .
I swear I saw this book at my local Goodwill. I can't get out there until Friday again, but it it's there, I will pick it up and see if I can send it to you. (Though I may read it first. )

Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I swear I saw this book at my local Goodwill. I can't get out there until Friday again, but it it's there, I will pick it up and see if I can send it to you. (Though I may read it first. )
thank you and I will pray that they have it and yes read it first everyone I have talked to said it was an awesome book and that they are making a movie out of it ....

Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:

$4.94 here for a "good" copy
The Widow of Jerusalem (Fools Guild)

Old 01-31-2017, 07:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Still working on Prisoners of Geography and also picked up It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. Published in 1935, the novel follows the rise of fascism here in the United States during the Great Depression. The book recently re-entered the best sellers list in the wake of the election. I'm not normally one to pick up a work of fiction, but the topical nature of the story is keeping me interested.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Younglisa I was so impressed..... but then I realized that is not the book. Yours is widow----------phonelady wants beauty queen. LOL. so I was intrigued and searched my library system which shows it as a new book.
Phonelady I cant remember where you are ( I get rather confused with screen names etc) but I am in NJ (Mercer County) and the book is in.......http://merl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/mcl/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:804777/one?qu=beauty+queen+of+jerusalem

Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Younglisa I was so impressed..... but then I realized that is not the book. Yours is widow----------phonelady wants beauty queen. LOL. so I was intrigued and searched my library system which shows it as a new book.
Phonelady I cant remember where you are ( I get rather confused with screen names etc) but I am in NJ (Mercer County) and the book is in.......http://merl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/mcl/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:804777/one?qu=beauty+queen+of+jerusalem

I'm in south Carolina and our library could not even find it ....so nj is more progressive than sc apparently . she could not even find it in the system or as a new book so ....im left to my own reserve .

Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
That stinks…I thought I found the solution. I didn't catch the auto correct when I googled the book. I hate when computers make changes for us, lol.

Quote:
I'm in south Carolina and our library could not even find it ....so nj is more progressive than sc apparently . she could not even find it in the system or as a new book so ....im left to my own reserve .
Do you have any other libraries nearby that you can join? I use two libraries here and they can each pull books as far as 250 miles away so I have access to over 20 libraries.

Either way it just may take your library a little longer to get it. I had to wait months for A Little Life.

Good luck…sorry I found the wrong one.

Last edited by ylisa7; 02-01-2017 at 06:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books