Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm in south Carolina and our library could not even find it ....so nj is more progressive than sc apparently . she could not even find it in the system or as a new book so ....im left to my own reserve .
There are 3 copies of it at my library but that doesn't help you -- it's across the border to Canada and it costs $125 for non-residents to join my library. It's a new release, though, so I'm guessing that your library just hasn't gotten wind of it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading A Doubter's Almanac by Ethan Canin. He's a great writer but I'm not sure what I think of this book yet. I loved the start of it, and then it got into mathematics. Ai yi yi. Finally we got out of mathematics just enough for me to get into the story again. I do like learning things when I am reading but me and math will never be friends. We will never be even on hand-shaking terms. In fact, we'd pass each other on the street without saying 'hi.' I'm at the 30% mark and haven't gotten to any of the multi-generational stuff mentioned in the description.

If I had to make a wild guess at this point, I'd say this book isn't for everyone, but I am going to read it because he is such a fine writer and there is that mysterious 'something' that makes me want to keep reading. I am not, so far, just reading because I paid good money for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Doubters-Alma...er%27s+almanac
I have this one on my Kindle and have tried it more than once, but can't get far enough along to stick with it.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
That stinks…I thought I found the solution. I didn't catch the auto correct when I googled the book. I hate when computers make changes for us, lol.

Do you have any other libraries nearby that you can join? I use two libraries here and they can each pull books as far as 250 miles away so I have access to over 20 libraries.

Either way it just may take your library a little longer to get it. I had to wait months for A Little Life.

Good luck…sorry I found the wrong one.
no I'm sorry I cant join any other librarys without paying an astronomical amount of money ...shame is it not but I guess they have had problems . that book is over a year old so I don't know why it would show as a new book .

Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I'm on page 83 of The Underground Railroad from the library -- slogging thru it.

Tell me it gets better ! So far I'm glad I didn't purchase it.

^^^ follow up on the above, decoded at Page 123 last night: Violent, lewd choppy descriptives, disjointed sentences, unnecessarily brutal, has no redeeming qualities (imo). Paragraphs will reverberate in your mind as if the writer is on meth heroin.

Fuggeddditt unless your a masochist.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I just finished reading Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. It's another novel about the Iraq war, although it takes place entirely in Texas and almost entirely in the stadium where the Dallas Cowboys play. It explores the impact of the war on those who fight it, and the relationship between the poor suckers in the army and the Americans who supported sending them there. I recommend it.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...alem&kn=&isbn=

Is this it???

Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default A Protean, Promethean story

Just finished

Born a crime : stories from a South African childhood / Trevor Noah, 1984- , c2016, Spiegel & Grau, 791.4502 NOAH.

Subjects
  • Noah, Trevor, -- 1984-
  • Comedians -- United States -- Biography.
  • Comedians -- South Africa -- Biography.
  • Television personalities -- United States -- Biography.
Notes
  • Run -- Born a Crime -- Trevor, Pray -- Chameleon -- The Second Girl -- Loopholes -- Fufi -- Robert -- The Mulberry Tree -- A Young Man's Long, Awkward, Occasionally Tragic, and Frequently Humiliating Education in Affairs of the Heart, Part I: Valentine's Day -- Outsider -- A Young Man's Long, Awkward, Occasionally Tragic, and Frequently Humiliating Education in Affairs of the Heart, Part II: The Crush -- Colorblind -- A Young Man's Long, Awkward, Occasionally Tragic, and Frequently Humiliating Education in Affairs of the Heart, Part III: The Dance -- Go Hitler! -- The Cheese Boys -- The World Doesn't Love You -- My Mother's List.
Summary
  • "The compelling, inspiring, and comically sublime story of one man's coming-of-age, set during the twilight of apartheid and the tumultuous days of freedom that followed,"--Amazon.com.
  • Noah's path from apartheid South Africa to the desk of The Daily Show began with a criminal act: his birth. Born to a white Swiss father and a black Xhosa mother, at the time such a union was punishable by five years in prison. As he struggles to find himself in a world where he was never supposed to exist, his mother is determined to save her son from the cycle of poverty, violence, and abuse that would ultimately threaten her own life. With an incisive wit and unflinching honesty, Noah weaves together a moving yet searingly funny portrait of a boy making his way through a damaged world in a dangerous time.
Length
  • x, 288 pages ;
An excellent book - I laughed, I commiserated. There are moments that I can identify with Trevor, & others when I'm amazed & appalled. A worthwhile read - to see how narrowly he escapes a World that is completely indifferent to him.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
yes that is the one ...

Old 02-01-2017, 02:45 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have this one on my Kindle and have tried it more than once, but can't get far enough along to stick with it.
I can certainly see why that would happen to just about anyone. But I think I'm going to finish it although I haven't picked it up for a couple of days. I really liked the beginning, about an awkward but gifted boy.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
My colleague brought me a book his girlfriend and their friends have enjoyed a lot:

The Clan of the Cave Bear
by Jean M Auel.

I have started it more than a week ago (I'm reading 3 books parallely now) and I just don't get into it. I don't know if it's the topic about early human beings or the writing style. So much gets lost when you translate a book, so that can it be too.
However, I will fight till page 100 and if I'm not hooked until then it goes back...
Haven't had that in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books