Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes I am and I thank you but I don't spend over 2-3 dollars on a used book but thanks anyways

Can you request your library to order it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:25 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I just finished KINDRED by Octavia Butler. It's a combo science fiction ( which I never really seek out) historical fiction. this was for book club, and I say this is why I do book club. I never would have picked it to read otherwise, but I am glad I read it. I think for someone who actually like sci fi it would be wonderful. Apparently the author has written several well received books. (again, I had never heard of her of the books).
It was a very good story which required a leap of faith ( which I really struggled with initially but once I let it go, it was a good story).
I just started--The Importance of Being Earnest. I had never seen it or read it. I am on a roll with trying to read some of the "classic" writings that I have missed.
( House of Mirth, Anne of Green Gables, etc)why not.
After that I am hoping The Rosie Project comes through ( I am next on the kindle wait list at the library). My on hold list at the library is really growing.

Looking over the book club for the next few month, most are books that I have seen mentioned here. There is one that I never heard of, but looks like it got fantastic ratings on goodreads, and just looks so sweet. The Bookshop on the Corner.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
That one is ready for me to pick up from my library

I am halfway through Hillbilly Elegy. It is good but not great. I'm not really learning anything new and he hasn't shown any insight as to how hillbillies can be helped to adapt better.

I just finished it last night, amazing first person book. It is not about 'how hillbillies can be helped' to "adapt", it's a true story about the writer -- and how, through self help, he overcame incredible odds and violent abuse from his mother (who had 5 husbands) through his own will. It's a real eye opener about abject poverty in areas of southern Ohio and western Kentucky, not in the 'olden days'.

Let us know your opinion once you've finished it.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I just finished it last night, amazing first person book. It is not about 'how hillbillies can be helped' to "adapt", it's a true story about the writer -- and how, through self help, he overcame incredible odds and violent abuse from his mother (who had 5 husbands) through his own will. It's a real eye opener about abject poverty in areas of southern Ohio and western Kentucky, not in the 'olden days'.

Let us know your opinion once you've finished it.

Sadly there is a ton of poverty all over today and I see it around whenever I go to town. I do know about some of it. I'm just not impressed with the writing I guess. I don't "feel" it even though he had a bad childhood and did overcome great odds. I think I was just expecting more with all the great reviews. Maybe I will change my mind when I finish it tomorrow or so But I can see it as an eye opener who are clueless about poverty in America.

Abuse yes but I don't think I would call it violent. There is much worse out there in our sad world.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Sadly there is a ton of poverty all over today and I see it around whenever I go to town. I do know about some of it. I'm just not impressed with the writing I guess. I don't "feel" it even though he had a bad childhood and did overcome great odds. I think I was just expecting more with all the great reviews. Maybe I will change my mind when I finish it tomorrow or so But I can see it as an eye opener who are clueless about poverty in America.

Abuse yes but I don't think I would call it violent. There is much worse out there in our sad world.
I had pretty much the same opinion as you do. It was interesting enough, but nothing in it was surprising to me. His family and story were not all that different from my own. Nothing in my situation was as extreme as his, but there were certainly parallels.

If a person were completely unfamiliar with rural poverty the book could be quite eye-opening.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I had pretty much the same opinion as you do. It was interesting enough, but nothing in it was surprising to me. His family and story were not all that different from my own. Nothing in my situation was as extreme as his, but there were certainly parallels.

If a person were completely unfamiliar with rural poverty the book could be quite eye-opening.
It wasn't 'eye opening' to me, I can drive by or through those area any day of the week. People flock to the mountains of NC from all over the country, not only for the beauty of the area, but have discovered a lower cost of living.

There is and will remain so much poverty, much of it hidden from view until early winter when leafless trees reveal occupied shacks and dilapidated trailers; people who have to live on donations and the generosity of their neighbors. The depths of poverty are in stark contrast to the enormous amount of wealth that has shaped this area within the past 20 years. There are many wonderfully generous people here who are so giving of their time and selfless contributions to improve the lives of children and families, the homeless; an incredible amount of giving goes on here consistently. In Henderson County alone, there are over approx. 300 homeless teenagers living in the woods in the good weather, or in shelters year 'round. Similiar situations exist in all the counties of WNC, TN, northern GA, etc. (The local libraries have long waiting lists for this book.)

Old 02-06-2017, 12:37 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
I just finished The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney and enjoyed it until the last few chapters. It was somewhat predictable to me, and a couple of things at the end just seemed out of place in the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Before-N...he+girl+before

It seems to me that some authors are trying so hard to get the "Gone Girl" twist that they suck some of the joy out of books. Or maybe I'm just too picky.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I stumbled upon an author who was new to me. Rhys Bowen. I read one stand alone book and then started one of her series. The stand alone novel, "In Farleigh Field", was just suburb. I could not put it down. This book was one of six that Amazon offers prime readers (or whatever we are called) each month. They are usually first novels. I want to thank Dawn once again for letting me know about this program. Luv U, Girl.

The book will be released on March 1st. I really, really liked it and I didn't expect to.

https://www.amazon.com/Farleigh-Fiel...farleigh+field

Old 02-06-2017, 04:01 PM

636 posts, read 392,578 times
Wild Sex

Old 02-06-2017, 06:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just finished Arctic Dreams by Barry López. I am deciding between finishing Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides and reading Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides. Any advice?
I decided to toggle between Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides.. I love the Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides but it is tough to read a lot of it a a time. Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali is also tough to read a lot of at a time but for a different reason; the description of violence is searing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books