Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 06:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times

Advertisements

Audio: Nora Roberts Blue Dalia series.
Paperback by the bed: The Light Between Oceans
Paperback in the living room I started because I didn't want to wake anyone up sneaking back into the bedroom: Beautiful Lies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I had pretty much the same opinion as you do. It was interesting enough, but nothing in it was surprising to me. His family and story were not all that different from my own. Nothing in my situation was as extreme as his, but there were certainly parallels.

If a person were completely unfamiliar with rural poverty the book could be quite eye-opening.
Agree.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:30 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,390,479 times
Interesting the feedback on Hillbilly Elegy. Maybe you are right that those who are less familiar with poverty would find it worth reading. I was born and raised in NYC, and then moved to relatively affluent suburbia. I definitely have seen poverty but I think it's the urban/rural ethnic aspect that I found so interesting. Anyway I was one who really was impressed with the book.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:10 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I decided to toggle between Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides.. I love the Peloponnesian Wars by Thucydides but it is tough to read a lot of it a a time. Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali is also tough to read a lot of at a time but for a different reason; the description of violence is searing.
Infidel is an excellent book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Audio: Nora Roberts Blue Dalia series.
Paperback by the bed: The Light Between Oceans
Paperback in the living room I started because I didn't want to wake anyone up sneaking back into the bedroom: Beautiful Lies
I love Nora Roberts Trilogies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Interesting the feedback on Hillbilly Elegy. Maybe you are right that those who are less familiar with poverty would find it worth reading. I was born and raised in NYC, and then moved to relatively affluent suburbia. I definitely have seen poverty but I think it's the urban/rural ethnic aspect that I found so interesting. Anyway I was one who really was impressed with the book.
It's good to hear all the differing opinions on the same book.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,784,751 times
Default Take 2 aspirin, & call me ...

• Mort(e) / a novel by Robert Repino, c2015, Soho Press.
Subjects
  • Ants -- Fiction.
  • Cats -- Fiction.
  • Human-animal relationships -- Fiction.
  • Monsters -- Fiction.
  • Imaginary wars and battles -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "The 'war with no name' has begun, with human extinction as its goal. The instigator of this war is the Colony, a race of intelligent ants who, for thousands of years, [has] been silently building an army that would forever eradicate the destructive, oppressive humans. Under the Colony's watchful eye, this utopia will be free of the humans' penchant for violence, exploitation, and religious superstition. The final step in the Colony's war effort is transforming the surface animals into high-functioning two-legged beings who rise up to kill their masters"--Amazon.com.
Length
  • 358 pages ;
An interesting take on an apocalypse. A very different POV.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:35 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,420,342 times
Just finished The Whistler - John Grisham..
best book I've read in a long time.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,480,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Just finished The Whistler - John Grisham..
best book I've read in a long time.

Aaah, that is good to hear, thank you. I've read some 'so so' reviews; but still have it on my 'hold' list at the library when my number comes up. I luv John Grisham's stories and his writing style.

In the meantime, I'm reading Stella Bain by Anita Shreve from a positive reference on this thread. Haven't read one of her books in a lonnng time.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

6,954 posts, read 12,026,907 times
Pushing myself to get through Harlan Coben's "Home" and it's oh so slow. I usually like his books but this one is very dull so far. I read it before bedtime and it puts me to sleep very nicely. LOL

Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times
I am reading Cathedral of the Sea, a story set in medieval Barcelona. Comparisons have been made to Pillars of the Earth but I don't think that cathedrals form a main part of the storyline in this book. I am at 13%.

I had paged through a lot of samples, none of which got my attention but this one stuck for some reason. At least so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Sea...ral+of+the+sea

Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,316,752 times
I just finished reading the 2016 Fodor's Travel book about Arizona and the Grand Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books