Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know but it kind of sounds great. I might give it a whirl after I finish what I'm reading now.

(Psst. I bought a horse today! )
Get out!!! Congratulations! I don't know how you're all going to move to Ottawa and be my neigh(pun!)bors, but we'll figure it out. YAY!!! (neigh!)

Also: Check your email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
I won't claim to have read the entire topic. In fact this may be the biggest topic in the entire forum.

Currently reading "The Turn" by Kim Robinson, published just last week (Feb. 7, 2017) and got it yesterday (5 days after pub. date). Just started reading it (obviously) but I'm sure Robinson's Hollows series fans will love it. Dayam it's good to be back to one of my most comfortable authors!

Fans won't need this info, non-fans: this is a popular urban fantasy series and The Turn is Robinson's first foray into prequels. The Turn itself refers to a cataclysmic event that was the premise of the entire Hollows series.

Fans will recognize Quen and Trenton from the very first chapter, which takes place beginning IIRC 1963, way before the series debut timeline.

I have been a SF fan since the days Heinlein was writing youth SF, continued reading SF until it became science fact. Drifted into mystery/suspense/thriller genre and still occasionally like them (I have a lot of good authors to catch up to) but my original love of SF has evolved into fantasy and then to urban fantasy as I tired of medieval fantasy.

To me urban fantasy is the new SF, just like SF except that the constraint that the novel's premise in SF has to fit at least some possibility that it may come true some day, fantasy simply ignores that rule, and urban fantasy is fantasy set in the modern era with cars and cellphones and Internet... The only rules that still apply is that the invented world must be self-consistent, and the author must hit that "suspension of disbelief" goal.

I just finished Karen Marie Moning's Feversong, the series finale #9 (or is it the finale???), and of course loved it.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
A little off topic but for those big time Kindle readers, has anyone noticed their cheap indie titles have increased by $1? I know it's a trivial complaint, but it's very annoying, because I used to buy them all the time at $2.99, but now that they are $3.99, a big jump of 25%, they aren't worth it to me anymore. And a huge number of them increased by that much, so many that it's very noticeable. Buying old used ones only cost $4.00, so there is no financial incentive to buying these Kindle titles. I don't want their Unlimited subscription for several reasons; I would rather own the books.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:02 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished reading The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly last night.

I highly recommend this book. It's well written and based on a true story.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Wait! Before you place your bets, you should know: The writing is very dense. There's no dialogue to speak of (pun intended). Paragraphs can run -- unbroken -- for an entire Kindle page. Just letting you know so that you don't aim too high.
I'm gonna go optimistic and say you'll get to 12%.

But save your appetite for a big book so you'll be ready for City on Fire when you get settled. I have about 100 pages to go and have really enjoyed it. I'll give a better mini-review when I finish.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm gonna go optimistic and say you'll get to 12%.

But save your appetite for a big book so you'll be ready for City on Fire when you get settled. I have about 100 pages to go and have really enjoyed it. I'll give a better mini-review when I finish.
Haha! I got to 7% last night and, though I'm enjoying it, I felt on the verge of insanity. What was I thinking? Oh, and the paragraphs that run unbroken for a full Kindle page? Yeah, no. Some run THREE Kindle pages. I'm exhausted. I'm not throwing in the towel quite yet but it's clear that this isn't the time for me and 4321 to be Valentines.

I'm looking forward to your CoF review.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Oh, and the paragraphs that run unbroken for a full Kindle page? Yeah, no. Some run THREE Kindle pages.
Sounds like the author may be a C-D member!

Old 02-14-2017, 11:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Okay, let's play a game. How many pages (out of the 878 pages that is 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster) do you think I'll read before giving up?

I have no business starting a book this length with so much going on in my life, but it landed in my lap and I read the first [I don't know how many -- I don't do math -- amounts to 3%] pages and am enjoying it. So far. So? Bets? Where do you think I'll end up (percentage/pages/whatever) before I cry "uncle"?
55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know but it kind of sounds great. I might give it a whirl after I finish what I'm reading now.

(Psst. I bought a horse today! )
Cool a horse. Mike is looking at calves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A little off topic but for those big time Kindle readers, has anyone noticed their cheap indie titles have increased by $1? I know it's a trivial complaint, but it's very annoying, because I used to buy them all the time at $2.99, but now that they are $3.99, a big jump of 25%, they aren't worth it to me anymore. And a huge number of them increased by that much, so many that it's very noticeable. Buying old used ones only cost $4.00, so there is no financial incentive to buying these Kindle titles. I don't want their Unlimited subscription for several reasons; I would rather own the books.
I've been home a month and gotten away from kindle books since I have library access. I have my limits for what I want to spend for books. I wouldn't pay $3.99 for one. MAybe $2.99 but it better be great or for a group read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished reading The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly last night.

I highly recommend this book. It's well written and based on a true story.
Agreed

Speaking of big books has anyone read by Edward Rutherfurd? He is supposed to be very good and writes some massive books. I might be interested in his London and New York.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:10 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
A Thread of Grace. Mary Doria Russell

Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

1. 55%

2. Speaking of big books has anyone read by Edward Rutherfurd? He is supposed to be very good and writes some massive books. I might be interested in his London and New York.
1. Oy. You give me too much credit. I have a ton of work and I just bought a house, which means packing and moving. Good grief.

2. Yes. I read New York. It was FANTASTIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books