Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
1. Oy. You give me too much credit. I have a ton of work and I just bought a house, which means packing and moving. Good grief.

2. Yes. I read New York. It was FANTASTIC.
I'm at 1% but I'm still interested. I have a cold and my ears are plugged, which has affected my reading. It's amazing how bad a person can feel with plugged ears. The long sentences don't bother me so far. I'll check in again when I get to 5% as it is a long book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm at 1% but I'm still interested. I have a cold and my ears are plugged, which has affected my reading. It's amazing how bad a person can feel with plugged ears. The long sentences don't bother me so far. I'll check in again when I get to 5% as it is a long book.
I'm with you on the blocked ears. It makes you feel dizzy, which means that everything is near impossible. Feel better... you've got 99% to go.

I'm at 9% and fading fast. I don't see myself getting much further. I love the writing. I love the characters. It's just... I don't know. It's A LOT OF WORDS. I didn't feel this way about The Nix, which was almost as long. Maybe it's too much -- two back-to-back oh-so-very-long books.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,755,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Speaking of big books has anyone read by Edward Rutherfurd? He is supposed to be very good and writes some massive books. I might be interested in his London and New York.
Yes!!! Love his books. I'm a huge historical fiction/supersized-book fan and just discovered him recently. I've read London and Paris in the last two months. My plan is to get all of his other books as soon as I work my way through my present stash. I followed London and Paris up with The Memoirs of Cleopatra (not a Rutherfurd book) so I'm taking some breathing room by reading a couple of other books that have been on my back burner. Today is Paul Theroux's The Great Railway Bazaar. Then I'll get back to Rutherfurd. I find it helps to read something completely different between those massive tomes - it helps me keep the characters sorted out and stop "looking" for somebody who was in, say, London when I'm reading Paris!

Old 02-15-2017, 07:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,915,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just put a hold in my library, 13 ahead of me
Our library is terrible. There is no selection, so I just buy what I want. The lack of selection started way back when they blocked off a lot of the library space with computers rather than books. I tried getting in line for ebooks, but I wasn't able to download them properly. I'm better at doing that now, so I should try it again.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,784,751 times
Default Another thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Our library is terrible. There is no selection, so I just buy what I want. The lack of selection started way back when they blocked off a lot of the library space with computers rather than books. ...
If you prefer books to ebooks, you could put in for interlibrary loan. That way, you can draw on all the branches of the public library. With interlibrary loan, they'll also go out to the academic libraries too. The cost used to be nominal - if you look online @ the library website, you can probably find the fees, & you might even be able to place the requests online too.

Best of luck with it. The academic libraries are very handy for specialized non-fiction, & they might have DVDs & CDs.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
55%

Cool a horse. Mike is looking at calves

I've been home a month and gotten away from kindle books since I have library access. I have my limits for what I want to spend for books. I wouldn't pay $3.99 for one. MAybe $2.99 but it better be great or for a group read

Agreed

Speaking of big books has anyone read by Edward Rutherfurd? He is supposed to be very good and writes some massive books. I might be interested in his London and New York.
I highly recommnd New York. London is on my "to read" list. I started Paris, liked, and will finish eventually.

Last edited by tigerlily; 02-15-2017 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,840,712 times
I just finished the book "the final day" by Dr. William Forstchen. It is the 3rd book in the one second after series.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Day-Nov...=the+final+day

ABSOLUTELY fantastic and as far as I am concerned should be required reading. The series is eye opening and may change the way you view the world around you.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,251,171 times
Secret Sisters: by Jayne Ann Krentz

Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Our library is terrible. There is no selection, so I just buy what I want. The lack of selection started way back when they blocked off a lot of the library space with computers rather than books. I tried getting in line for ebooks, but I wasn't able to download them properly. I'm better at doing that now, so I should try it again.
I've had good luck with recommending ebooks to my libraries. It night be worth a try.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,663,934 times
I finished City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg and I liked it a lot. I had never heard of it, even though it was a big deal when it was published because Hallberg got one of the biggest advances ever ($2 million) for a first novel. Apparently it was hyped quite a bit and a lot of the reviews say that it didn't live up to the hype. But I didn't have any expectations and found it to be very well-written with characters I thought about even when I wasn't reading. There are elements of a who-done-it and a thriller, but it would be a mistake to characterize it as either of those. It's extremely long, but the story moves well and most of the loose ends get tied up. It's set in NYC in the very gritty 70's.

As I said the first time I mentioned it, if you like Donna Tartt's writing, or you enjoyed A Little Life, or Bonfire of the Vanities, you should take a look at City on Fire.

Can you tell I'm trying not to oversell it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books