Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,944,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Wait! I haven't read Lisey's Story. I think I recommended Stand By Me. It does sound good, though.
WHAT?!?!???? That's hilarious!!! I wonder if I stumbled across it when you and I were talking about his short stories. I definitely have your name next to it on my list. Well, the good news is that if Holly-Kay likes it, she's still giving you credit. So am I. When I eventually get to it, I mean, although I'm much more likely to get to City on Fire first, which now has stars next to it on my list because you liked it so much. Speaking of liking so much, The Afterlife of Stars is blowing me away; I'm more than halfway finished. I'm already recommending it. It's kind of reminding me of The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau for some reason, and that was an incredible book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 10:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,177,664 times
I'm really enjoying reading The sun is also a star by Nicola yoon. It's a young adult book that is very well written. I'm enjoying the characters, and I am curious to see how it all ends.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 AM

556 posts, read 785,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I just finished the book "the final day" by Dr. William Forstchen. It is the 3rd book in the one second after series.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Day-Nov...=the+final+day

ABSOLUTELY fantastic and as far as I am concerned should be required reading. The series is eye opening and may change the way you view the world around you.

Thank you for bringing this up, I loved “One Second After” and have ordered “One Year After” from Abe Books. As soon as B&N sends me a new discount coupon I’ll buy “The Final Day.”

Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,839,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post

Thank you for bringing this up, I loved “One Second After” and have ordered “One Year After” from Abe Books. As soon as B&N sends me a new discount coupon I’ll buy “The Final Day.”
Awesome. The 2nd is pretty good but not great. It goes in a different direction but is important for the story. The last book final day was awesome. I won't give out any spoilers but it ties everything together. I really enjoyed this series and it is a cautionary tale on the abuse of power and corrruption. Especially the finale. There might be a few parts where you are stunned as you learn more about all the various events.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM

I finished The Afterlife of Stars by Joseph Kertes. Gorgeous. It was gorgeous. There is some humor in the book, especially from the main character's brother. But it's intense. And gorgeous.

After Raoul Wallenberg was first mentioned, I realized that this book must be somewhat autobiographical. Sure enough, it turns out the author, Joseph Kertes, had escaped from Hungary with his family to Canada after the revolution of 1956. He founded Humber College's creative writing program. Indeed, he is some writer!

His earlier novel (also somewhat autobiographical, it would seem) Gratitude is the "story" of the Beck family just before what happened in The Afterlife of Stars. I've already downloaded it and will most definitely read it. Just not now. I feel drained.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,250,934 times
Darkness: by Karen Robards

Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,374,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
King draws you in, not me. Last King I read was "The Gunslinger" (Tower series, Book 1) which bored me so much I was loathe to continue.

An email buddy convinced me to read "Duma Key." We'll see if I get past page 50-100.
I also found The Gunslinger quite boring. But I was told to hang in there, it must be worth it. So I bought the second volume of this series and will start it soon....

Old 02-20-2017, 05:37 AM

As I mentioned, I started -- and finished -- The Afterlife of Stars, which I loved. It was a short book, but still. With everything that's kept me so busy (finding a house in a new city) and all the stuff that will keep me busy in the coming months through to July (packing, unpacking, getting settled, etc.), I needed to decompress, so I took the weekend for some much-valued "me" time.

To that end, and although not a book -- but based on the book by Liane Moriarty that I'd never consider reading -- I watched the first episode of the 7-episode (I think it's 7) series Big Little Lies on HBO. Again, a book that I wouldn't read, but the episode was riveting and I'm looking forward to the remaining 6. (I love these mini-serieseseseseses -- longer than a movie, but not a huge commitment.)

And I started French Rhapsody by Antoine Laurain, because I love him.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I also found The Gunslinger quite boring. But I was told to hang in there, it must be worth it. So I bought the second volume of this series and will start it soon....
I'd like to hear your opinion. Gunslinger was so so... Not so bad that I wouldn't at least try a sequel if it was recommended. But as things stand now, not happening.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,909,164 times
I just started a new job so am reading volumes of medical journal articles to get up to speed and it is seriously encroaching on my reading for pleasure time! Plus it is hurting my brain so what I do read right now is pretty fluffy.

Most recent fluff - What Alice Forgot which I really did enjoy. If there was a genre of "Thought-provoking Fluff", this book would be on the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books