Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:43 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Might try my local library then
I pay for about 1 in 20 of the ebooks I read. It's easy to get them at the library, and you should join multiple libraries. CA residents can get a library card at any public library in CA. I have several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
For anyone, Dawn, who interested Kindred is available today for $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._control_us-20

I also came across two more e-books that look good:
The Sugar Men for $1.00

and
The Short Drop for $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Short-Drop-Gi...The+Short+Drop

Oh and Yellow Crocus is only $1.00
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Crocus...Z6819GTCK5XX1H

Old 02-22-2017, 12:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thank you, Lisa! I have it on hold at my library, so I'm going to play nice and wait my turn.

In the meantime, I came upon this book, which is described as charming and whimsical: The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. It's a debut novel, which I like. It's a short book, which is all that I can muster right now. I just hope that it's not *too* charming (I will NOT read chick-lit) or *too* whimsical (I will NOT read twee or "magic"). I hope to start on it tonight if I don't collapse from exhaustion first.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Despite my ever-growing TBR list, I ran across a book the other day that I'd never seen and picked it up: The Boy Kings of Texas by Domingo Martinez. It's a memoir about growing up in the border city of Brownsville, Texas which is not far from where I live. I'm only a few pages in and not yet sure about it.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm not even going to apologize -- I think that you'll love it. Also see if they have The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau because you'll love that too.

(Okay I put in my library list!)

Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
John Gillingham's definitive biography of Richard I, Richard the Lionheart (1978)

Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Is anybody here interested in hearing about urban fantasy and sometimes romantic urban fantasy? I see no reason to post my reading unless there are other enthusiasts or might wannabe enthusiasts or otherwise I'm just posting off into a vacuum.

If there's no interest I can restrict my participation to my mystery, suspense and action novel readings. Less than 10% of my reading lately but I have plenty of catch up on series I've missed the last year or two. I can report those.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
^^^^^ Go ahead and post about whatever you're reading. You never know who is looking at this thread for book ideas. And don't worry about posting in a vacuum. I often write down the titles of books w/o responding to a comment.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Oh and Yellow Crocus is only $1.00
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Crocus...Z6819GTCK5XX1H
Lisa, Yellow Crocus looks very interesting. My to read pile at home contains at least 30 books right now DH always rolls his eyes when there are new used books in the mail box Anyhoo, it went to my amazon wishlist

Quote:
Thank you, Lisa! I have it on hold at my library, so I'm going to play nice and wait my turn.

In the meantime, I came upon this book, which is described as charming and whimsical: The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. It's a debut novel, which I like. It's a short book, which is all that I can muster right now. I just hope that it's not *too* charming (I will NOT read chick-lit) or *too* whimsical (I will NOT read twee or "magic"). I hope to start on it tonight if I don't collapse from exhaustion first.
Dawn, that sounds like a sweet story and I put it also on my wish list. I wish I would get paid to read all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Is anybody here interested in hearing about urban fantasy and sometimes romantic urban fantasy? I see no reason to post my reading unless there are other enthusiasts or might wannabe enthusiasts or otherwise I'm just posting off into a vacuum.

If there's no interest I can restrict my participation to my mystery, suspense and action novel readings. Less than 10% of my reading lately but I have plenty of catch up on series I've missed the last year or two. I can report those.
Please share what you're reading. Most of us have quite a wide range of what they are interested in and you can always try to broaden our horizons

Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:

Ooh that one looks good. Keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Keep posting. We have varied interests here and there are always lurkers about. This thread and the people hear have broaden my reading horizons also

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Lisa, Yellow Crocus looks very interesting. My to read pile at home contains at least 30 books right now DH always rolls his eyes when there are new used books in the mail box Anyhoo, it went to my amazon wishlist
You can never have enough books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books