Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Radix is an amazing book but I stopped reading at 75%. It falls somewhere between fantasy and science fiction as it is set so far in the future. The author is an amazing writer and I have never come across so many words I didn't know. He writes like a poet and it's brilliant. There is just too much of it. I have no idea what is going on. I don't know if I will finish it. It is very dense.

So I am now reading The Book of the Unnamed Midwife. At the 26% mark, I am liking it a lot. And Ketabcha, it has your name written all over it. It reminds me of that post-apocalyptic book set in the PNW that you liked so much. https://www.amazon.com/Book-Unnamed-...nnamed+midwife It's available on Kindle Unlimited.
I love post-apocalyptic books! It's a shame some only are released as e-books and some others which are available as paperbacks are just rubbish

Have you tried Just Cronin's The Passage series? The Breaker's Series (Edward W. Robertson) is also quite good even though I couldn't wrap my mind around the Alien stuff.

Dark Days by Manel Loureiro was also very good!

The Book of the Unnamed Midwife went straight on my amazon wishlist for later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm just curios about how US is inflicting harm on the world, understanding US has a willing market of stupid people with enough money to buy drugs.

To some degree I see this as blaming the victim for the crime. This is why I am for better border control, to prevent importing drugs. AFAIK neither heroin or cocaine is produced in the US, it's imported.--Plus, we need far more serious anti-drug trafficking laws to put the real importers behind bars for life, and in some cases execution (although we seem to lack the resolve to actually execute criminals who deserve it).
You are just saying what we have been brainwashed to accept Read the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
You'd be better off reading the book, but basically, prohibition doesn't work and leads to bad effects, such as increased crime and violence. One thing I found particularly striking is that prior to the prohibition of drugs, most people who were not just users, but were actually addicts, lived pretty normal lives, were able to take care of their families, hold down jobs, and often would eventually quit on their own.

The U.S. then strong armed other nations into implementing prohibition, even when they did not want to.
I am back to reading Chasing The Scream and it is an eye opener. "Our" War On Drugs is not the answer. More needs to be done about our growing problem and this shows how we are doing it wrong and have been since the beginning.

BTW, I tweeted Trump saying he and is staff should read it, lol. I'm pretty sure he has some misconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, despite the fact that I have a ton of stuff to do, I got none of it done this weekend. Instead, I got sick. I've been at home, under the covers, sniffling...and napping...and reading.

It's time for an Advil Cold & Sinus dose. And a nap.
How are you feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel

I fancy something light, fluffy and extremely funny this weekend. And so I dug out this old book and haven't laughed so much in ages!
How is it? I have never read a graphic novel but I added this to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am reading The Nix by Nathan Hill. I think y'all were chatting about this one a few weeks ago but I was busy reading meaningless stuff and just now am getting around to it. So far, so good! I bought the hardback and it weighs a ton, but I am liking it enough to haul it around on my travels!
I will be reading that in 2 more books How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
The Wheel of Time is a fantastic series. Even though I must admit I stopped after 5 volumes.

I've finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Loved it!!!

Did you cry

So now I'm still reading Reginald Hill's The Woodcutter in bed and parallely two other books. I always have one that I carry around at all times for the possibility of a quiet minute at lunchbreak or the like. Now it's Jenny Downham's "You against me". I liked "Before I die" a lot, let's see if this one's half as good .
And on the coffee table, if I can grab a silent minute on the sofa, Stephen King's 'salem's Lot is waiting. Thanks for the recommendation, it started of nicely.
I always have a book with me. You never know when an opportunity to read will present itself

Quote:
I love post-apocalyptic books! It's a shame some only are released as e-books and some others which are available as paperbacks are just rubbish
Cinder(The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer (fun)

Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman

Divergent series….but not the last one

Legend series by Lu Marie

Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo

Delirium series by Lauren Oliver

Born series by Tara Brown

Rob Thurman books

Maze Runner

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Did not read yet:

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier

Belligerent (Vicara #1) by B.N. Mauldin

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Medbury books

T.A. Williams books

Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
I just finished The Whistler,by John Grisham. This one was over-rhyped (imo); slow starting, story not believable, and realllly drags at the end. Disappointed.

Just picked up The Last Child by John Hart; so far so good. Love John Hart.

On order: Lara by Anna Pasternak. The love story that inspired Dr. Zhivago. I'm hoping for this to be yummy.

And-- A Piece of the World, Christine Baker Kline (Imagines the life story of Christina Olson, the subject of Andrew Wyeth's painting "Christina's World," describing the simple life she led on a remote Maine farm, her complicated relationship with her family, and the illness that incapacitated her.)

Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:

I've finished The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Loved it!!!
I could not stand that book. One of my most hated ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
You are just saying what we have been brainwashed to accept Read the book

I am back to reading Chasing The Scream and it is an eye opener. "Our" War On Drugs is not the answer. More needs to be done about our growing problem and this shows how we are doing it wrong and have been since the beginning.

BTW, I tweeted Trump saying he and is staff should read it, lol. I'm pretty sure he has some misconceptions.

Oh, if only Trump or his staff read.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I am loving The Nix so much that I had to give it to my husband this morning to take to work with him so I wouldn't kill two hours reading like I did yesterday! I work from home and have an over-flowing Things To Do list and what starts as a few pages of reading while I take a quick lunch break can wreck the afternoon.

It has been quite a while since I read a book that I enjoyed this much!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
Not my boy! Rodney Peete
A good book on his experience raising a child with autism.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am loving The Nix so much that I had to give it to my husband this morning to take to work with him so I wouldn't kill two hours reading like I did yesterday! I work from home and have an over-flowing Things To Do list and what starts as a few pages of reading while I take a quick lunch break can wreck the afternoon.

It has been quite a while since I read a book that I enjoyed this much!
YAY!!! I'm so happy that you're loving it like I did.

I also work from home. Self-discipline is, in fact, a discipline. I don't always succeed when there's a great book a few steps away from my desk either.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I could not stand that book. One of my most hated ever.

Aww...I liked that one

Oh, if only Trump or his staff read.
I know...maybe I could leave a message for all the reviewers to Tweet him the same day, lol. We can start a protest.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Divergent series….but not the last one
Second that!

The debut was sheer joy to read. The last one killed it for me. I will never read another book by the author Veronica Roth.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 AM

7,308 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:

Have you tried Just Cronin's The Passage series? The Breaker's Series (Edward W. Robertson) is also quite good even though I couldn't wrap my mind around the Alien stuff.

Dark Days by Manel Loureiro was also very good!

The Book of the Unnamed Midwife went straight on my amazon wishlist for later
Yea, I've read both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books