Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I could not stand that book. One of my most hated ever.

Oh, if only Trump or his staff read.
Unfortunately, he doesn't read. I will miss President Obama's Christmas and Vacation reading lists. I check all of them to see if we've've read some of the same books. I add some of his selections to my "to read" list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:31 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,701,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Unfortunately, he doesn't read. I will miss President Obama's Christmas and Vacation reading lists. I check all of them to see if we've've read some of the same books. I add some of his selections to my "to read" list.
I loved hearing what President Obama read, too. I was too dumb for some of them.

When I hear Trump proudly proclaim that he does NOT read, and that he especially does not read books, it just makes me so sad. Even Bush read some books. Trump apparently doesn't read anything longer than tweets.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
Years ago, author Yann Martel (Life of Pi) was at a literary awards presentation and was disappointed to see Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, less than engaged with the process of literary appreciation. He decided to send the Prime Minister a book and a letter explaining why he chose to recommend that particular book. This went on every two weeks (!) for years! For a long time, the list and letters were shared on a website called "What is Stephen Harper Reading". I believe it is now published as a book.

I'm an admitted Yann Martel groupie and went to a book signing of his once and when asked about the growing list he said "in order to lead, you must read". Perhaps Yann needs to start sending books to President Trump.....

Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Years ago, author Yann Martel (Life of Pi) was at a literary awards presentation and was disappointed to see Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, less than engaged with the process of literary appreciation. He decided to send the Prime Minister a book and a letter explaining why he chose to recommend that particular book. This went on every two weeks (!) for years! For a long time, the list and letters were shared on a website called "What is Stephen Harper Reading". I believe it is now published as a book.

I'm an admitted Yann Martel groupie and went to a book signing of his once and when asked about the growing list he said "in order to lead, you must read". Perhaps Yann needs to start sending books to President Trump.....
Yeah, I don't think Stephen Harper read either.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:36 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,316,752 times
I am reading the Book of Joshua now.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,701,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Although how would he know he read them?

I learned long ago that you can give someone a book, but you can't make them read it.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Hi, Lisa! I didn't see your question earlier. Thanks for asking. I'm feeling the same -- pretty icky. But, apparently, I'm going to live.

I felt like Goldilocks tonight. No book on my "to read" list was "juuuuust riiiiiight" -- it was either too hot (too long), too cold (not a story that I wanted to read now), too something (just not feeling it). Then I came across one that had been hanging around for a while. It's by a first-time author, which usually makes them (and me) eager. I'm at about 15% now. It's not ALL-CAPS FANTASTIC, but it's holding my interest. I'll reserve final judgment until the final page. The book is Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,417,402 times
Finally... The Shack

Old 03-15-2017, 08:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,056,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Second that!

The debut was sheer joy to read. The last one killed it for me. I will never read another book by the author Veronica Roth.
You know, I just do not understand why Veronica Roth did that. As I recall it was a 4 novel series, and the first 3 in the series had my heart soaring higher and higher. The debut was ecstatic. The sequels were amazing, almost as good as the debut.

I'm not going to post spoilers. The fourth novel just stomped all the joy of the series out of me. I don't know why Roth did that. Perhaps some disillusioned honor to authorial honesty or dauntlessness.

The finale was one of my worst literary disappointments. Again I will not post spoilers. Just don't read Alligiant. If somebody tells me a sequel fixed it all please tell me.

If you want a better series read "Hunger Games" (which the first was the best, and the rest not as good but still worth reading, or read James Dashner's Maze runner series which at least provided closure, and IMO was a good series.

Hunger Games was IMO best first and worth following if you wanted to read more, but never lived up to the premiere.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Although how would he know he read them?

I learned long ago that you can give someone a book, but you can't make them read it.
I think the idea behind the Harper list was that maybe he didn't know what to read and there was no harm done in making a list in case he ever read. Plus it got people talking and maybe reading some of Yann's suggestions which is never a bad thing.

We live in hope. Harper was very hard on the arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books