Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I struggled through the first few chapters of All The Light We Cannot See and finally gave up on it after my second try. Please let me know if you actually finish it and if it was worth the time and effort - LOL.
I've made it to page 50 and am really enjoying it this time. We'll see if I make it to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Enjoy...I agree about changing it up. I haven't read a high octane book in awhile. Might need to dig out a book or two from same favorite authors of mine.
i am in a Lara Croft/Amazon warrior mood today, Lisa (and when I say "Amazon", I mean the fearless and intrepid female warriors)

Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I just finished reading "The Texas City Disaster,1947" by Hugh W. Stephens

Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I thought All the Light was just okay. I do NOT understand all the love and hype for this book.
I loved it right from the start. Aren't we glad that there are so many books for us all to choose from?

And, because I'm a short story lover, I really enjoyed Anthony Doerr's book of short stories, The Shell Collector.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison. Thank you for the recommendation, Netwit.

I'm well into the second book in the series of three. The first book is a stand alone but does feed into the next one. If the reader wants to stop after the first book there is a sense of completion.

Sorry for the italics. My computer is not following my orders. Sigh.

These are not humorous books but I did laugh out loud once. I laughed so hard that I was snorting.
The main character is asked her name and she replied with "Call me Ishmael." Okay, I think you had to be there but it really was funny.

I like this author. Her style is a breath of fresh air and we get to know the characters from the inside out. It's an unusual story and a very good one. I heartily recommend it.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've made it to page 50 and am really enjoying it this time. We'll see if I make it to the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I loved it right from the start. Aren't we glad that there are so many books for us all to choose from?
[/b]
I really liked All The Light We Cannot See. I also read it as a group read which was really fun. We talked about the chapters we read each day.

It's always a good thing we have so many books to choose from.

I did not get all the good reviews of The Light Between The Oceans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison. Thank you for the recommendation, Netwit.

I heartily recommend it.[/i]
Thank you…I just added it to my library hold

Yay…back from the library:

Next 3 books for me:
$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America by Kathryn Edin, H. Luke Shaefer

The Nix

A Gentleman in Moscow

I'll be busy for awhile.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:

Next 3 books for me:
$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America by Kathryn Edin, H. Luke Shaefer

The Nix

A Gentleman in Moscow

I'll be busy for awhile.
I'm envious that you get to read The Nix and A Gentleman in Moscow now. I read them both and loved them both. You can take Behold the Dreamers off of your "to read" list -- I bailed on it at 36% because it became a cheesy soap opera. Enjoy your GREAT books!

Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I just read a book called "The Chicken Ranch" by Jan Hutson.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:20 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
I really liked All The Light We Cannot See. I also read it as a group read which was really fun. We talked about the chapters we read each day.

It's always a good thing we have so many books to choose from.

I did not get all the good reviews of The Light Between The Oceans.

Thank you…I just added it to my library hold

Next 3 books for me:

The Nix

A Gentleman in Moscow

I'll be busy for awhile.
Light Between Oceans was another one I thought was overrated, but I did like it. I liked it better than Light We Cannot See, which I didn't think was horrible, just that it was only okay.

2.00 a Day is great -- I also read a book called Hand to Mouth, which is written by a person who doesn't have money and I thought it was a great read in conjunction with $2 a Day.

I can't wait to read The Nix. I have it sitting in my TBR pile with my favorite bookmark ready to go, as soon as I finish my book club read.

I also have Gentleman in Moscow sitting in the pile. I hope to get to that one relatively soon.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm 22% into All Our Wrong Todays and liking it so far. I find the voice very engaging. As to the plot - remember the Jetsons-like future we were promised where everyone had flying cars and self-cleaning houses? This is a book about a future in which that future came true but a time traveller finds himself in our future instead. I thought it was an interesting idea and I'll see if the book lives up to the promise. https://www.amazon.com/All-Our-Wrong...r+wrong+todays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books