Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

I finished The Nix! I am in awe of the talent - the story was rich and the writing was amazing. I love it when I have the opportunity to read a book like this and have learned to not expect them to come along very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finished The Nix! I am in awe of the talent - the story was rich and the writing was amazing. I love it when I have the opportunity to read a book like this and have learned to not expect them to come along very often.
I am about 75% finished and really enjoying it

Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished Patrimony by Philip Roth. I shouldn't have read it. My eyes are red balls of burning.
The short text on amazon is already so sad Put it on my to read list. Thanks Dawn!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
<3 <3 <3 Ditto!

I finished The Book of Jonas yesterday. I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation!! Took me about a week to read it but I think that was just some ADD or something I had going on. So easily distracted. Still seems to be an issue as I started A Piece of The World last night and haven't read any yet today. Sigh.
I've had goosebumps all over reading the description on amazon. Thanks for sharing. I must have missed the recommendation of this book...

Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times
Masks by Fumiko Enchi

Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
I finished Patrimony by Philip Roth. I shouldn't have read it. My eyes are red balls of burning.
I'm sorry it made you so sad, but it's a powerful testament to the power of literature. I hope you're having a better day today.

I have about 75 pages left in All the Light We Cannot See and I see why it won all the accolades. On one level it's a straight-up Nazi invasion/resistance story, but it's also a very interesting observation about how good people can come to do terrible things. The language and writing are beautiful and the story moves along at a good pace although it moves back and forth in time. The only minor complaint I have is that one of the main characters is blind and I believe gets along better and more ably than most blind people could. But, as discussed above, I have suspended my disbelief.

I recommend it if the genre appeals to you at all. And remember that I picked it up once and gave up after a very few pages. I'm really glad I went back and gave it another try.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm sorry it made you so sad, but it's a powerful testament to the power of literature. I hope you're having a better day today.

I have about 75 pages left in All the Light We Cannot See and I see why it won all the accolades. On one level it's a straight-up Nazi invasion/resistance story, but it's also a very interesting observation about how good people can come to do terrible things. The language and writing are beautiful and the story moves along at a good pace although it moves back and forth in time. The only minor complaint I have is that one of the main characters is blind and I believe gets along better and more ably than most blind people could. But, as discussed above, I have suspended my disbelief.

I recommend it if the genre appeals to you at all. And remember that I picked it up once and gave up after a very few pages. I'm really glad I went back and gave it another try.
I have that book and I've had it for years but never got around to reading it. Some days I can't take Nazis even via a resistance. But I'll give it a try once I've finished a book I've seen recommended here for a long time, but always got lost in my ever-lengthening to-read list - The Lowlands. I'm not very far in but I'm loving it so far.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
I loved Goodbye, Columbus.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you! XOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
But I'll give it a try once I've finished a book I've seen recommended here for a long time, but always got lost in my ever-lengthening to-read list - The Lowlands. I'm not very far in but I'm loving it so far.
By Jhumpa Lahiri? I liked it a lot, as I recall. Not as much as her short story collections -- Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth -- and I don't even LIKE short stories. In fact, I hate them. But I absolutely LOVED both of these collections (Interpreter of Maladies even more than the other.)

The only Jhumpa Lahiri book that I did not like -- or even finish -- was In Other Words. I hated the few chapters that I bothered to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I loved Goodbye, Columbus.
On my "to read" list and already on my Kindle. For when? I don't know. But I'll get to it.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Just started reading The Eye of the World, book 1 of the Wheel of Time.

I am a big fantasy fan and read all of Brandon Sanderson and Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. WoT is the only long series that I have not read that I've heard so much about. Decided to finally plunge in, since it is a big commitment.
I tried Malazan Book of the Fallen. I could not get past Gardens of the Moon. I read that it is very confusing, that it wasn't me, it was the book, that if I could just finish it, the following nine books were fantastic, but it me so frustrated I gave up around page 500. I couldn't keep track of the mass of characters and activities, and character development was nonexistent. I love Brandon Sanderson as well. I went to a book signing of his and he signed my Mistborn trilogy for me I am currently reading Enchantress by James Maxwell. It is book one of his bestselling quartet. It's an easy, simple read, and it's nice not to have to concentrate every minute like I did with Malazan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books