Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I was going to try it until I discovered, that just like so many other series, the series has a zillion books. I'll commit to a trilogy or maybe even a quartet, but I'm not going to sink a ton of money into an overly long book series. For one thing, I might just lose interest in the story line, but more commonly the story goes down the crapper after book X because the author runs out of steam. Then the series just becomes a repetitive money grab and a waste of time for the reader.

I've been waiting for this to happen. I'm currently a quarter of the way through book 4 ("Drums of Autumn") and I'm STILL hooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
I'm re-reading Steinbeck's The Log From The Sea of Cortez. So far it's proving well worth a second go-thru.

And it just so happens that earlier today I received a text from my mother-in-law, telling me how much she loved The Dog Stars (which pleases me, because she has turned me on to so many excellent books and I am glad to return the favor now and then) and asking permission to keep my copy for my father-in-law to read, as well as to pass along to her book group. I happily agreed.

I love successfully introducing wonderful literature to people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I recently finished reading Peter Heller's The Dog Stars.

Years after the apocalypse - a flu that kills almost everyone, followed by a blood disease that kills many of the initial survivors - Hig lives at a small airport north of Denver and just a few miles from the foothills of the Rockies. He was a poet who paid the bills building houses. With him are his dog, Jasper, his link to the time before, and Bangley, a no-nonsense survivalist type. They tend a small garden, they hunt for venison, and they kill anyone who gets close to the airport. As Hig notes, pretty much everyone who is left is no good.

Hig is a pilot and he flies his Cessna 182. There's more avgas in the airports tanks than he'll ever use, and with Bangley's night-vision goggles he scans for game. And for interlopers. He talks to Jasper, who rides shotgun, and habitually into the radio, even though no one ever answers. Until one day, Grand Junction replies, clearing him for landing. On Colorado's western slope, Grand Junction is beyond the range of his Cessna. But Hig never forgets the voice, the voice of a pilot. And one day, he decides to go for broke and make his way to Grand Junction.

I can't say enough about this book. The prose is gorgeous, and the marrying of the brutality of the post-apocalyptic life with the humanity of those who live it is impressively rendered. It's the best post-apocalyptic book this side of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and it's one of those reads that makes me want to read everything else the author has written - which is why I'm now reading Heller's second novel, The Painter.

The Dog Stars - highly recommended!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm re-reading Steinbeck's The Log From The Sea of Cortez. So far it's proving well worth a second go-thru.

And it just so happens that earlier today I received a text from my mother-in-law, telling me how much she loved The Dog Stars (which pleases me, because she has turned me on to so many excellent books and I am glad to return the favor now and then) and asking permission to keep my copy for my father-in-law to read, as well as to pass along to her book group. I happily agreed.

I love successfully introducing wonderful literature to people!

I read The Dog Stars back in 2014. I agree that it is a wonderful book. It's written in a beautiful style and is so touching. Just reading your mention of it gave me "warm fuzzies." I'm now going to read it again for the pure pleasure of it.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I'm reading Where the Air is Sweet, a multi-generational story of Asian families in Uganda. I'm not sure what I think about it and I'm almost halfway through. I keep getting mixed up with the characters but I think that's me and not the writing as I've been distracted by other things. https://www.amazon.com/Where-Air-Swe...e+air+is+sweet

Old 03-26-2017, 11:05 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading Where the Air is Sweet, a multi-generational story of Asian families in Uganda. I'm not sure what I think about it and I'm almost halfway through. I keep getting mixed up with the characters but I think that's me and not the writing as I've been distracted by other things. https://www.amazon.com/Where-Air-Swe...e+air+is+sweet
Okay, so I just finished the above book and ended up giving it 4 stars. It is a flawed debut novel about a South Asians in Uganda and the before and during of Idi Amin. The book runs too slow in places and I think there isn't enough transition or clarity as to the how, what, when's and whys,
Spoiler
but towards the end of the book, when as refugees the characters make it to Canada with obviously faked documents and are caught, and the border control agent says, to hell with Idi Amin and welcomes them to Canada, my eyes watered up and are still watered up. I am the grandchild of refugees who lived through the Soviet Revolution and no one wanted us either.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
I just finished Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, right after readng Infidel by the same author.
Jerome Groupman,

How Doctors Think

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-26-2017 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I'm reading Our Short History by Lauren Grodstein. This ain't fine literature and the story is a bit sappy but I'm enjoying her writing style immensely and the characters are nicely fleshed out.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:24 PM

710 posts, read 584,171 times
Cujo by Stephen King

Old 03-26-2017, 09:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Cujo by Stephen King
Is the book as scary as the movie?

Old 03-26-2017, 09:55 PM

710 posts, read 584,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Is the book as scary as the movie?
I haven't watched the movie. I actually just started reading the book tonight, I'm on page 10. It's pretty good so far though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books