Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

After thoroughly enjoying "Corsets and Codpieces," I read some reviews of "The History of Underclothes" and ordered it as well, and WOW - I can't put it down!

Here's the crazy thing - I took a picture of the cover of the book and posted on FB that I was reading this, thinking that it was pretty weird, and I had a SLEW of friends comment and ask about it and they were filled with curiosity and interest in this off the beaten path book. My daughter called me and asked, "Does it talk about night caps in this book?" I said, "IT DOES. Honey, I can tell you all about the history of nightcaps, down through the centuries. For instance, did you know that for awhile in the 1700s, basically all night caps were red? Did you know that the wearing of night caps was pretty much universal throughout Europe for hundreds of years? Did you know that for awhile tassels were a big thing on night caps and then suddenly they fell out of favor? Did you know that for awhile and in some areas of Europe, pointy night caps were the thing, and then for awhile, they weren't? Some were knitted and others were puffy with a string used to tighten them. Men tended to wear the knitted ones and women tended to wear the puffy ones. And worsted wool night caps were considered definitely lower class."

I am a veritable trove of useless information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I wanted to read -- something, anything -- that wouldn't strain my brain, an easy-peasy read, so I started The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings. It's fluff, it's a really easy read. Funny finding: I didn't see the movie but I know that it starred George Clooney. There's a sentence in the book -- which was obviously written well before it was made into a movie -- where the younger daughter is wearing a t-shirt that says "MRS. CLOONEY" across the chest. I found that hilarious.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I wanted to read -- something, anything -- that wouldn't strain my brain, an easy-peasy read, so I started The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings. It's fluff, it's a really easy read. Funny finding: I didn't see the movie but I know that it starred George Clooney. There's a sentence in the book -- which was obviously written well before it was made into a movie -- where the younger daughter is wearing a t-shirt that says "MRS. CLOONEY" across the chest. I found that hilarious.
I saw that movie and it was okay. I bet the book is better though. Funny about the t-shirt--I wonder if the author had a big crush on George Clooney?

Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I recommend Grandma Gatewood's Walk to anyone over 50. It's very inspiring to see what an older person can do, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's an easy read and will probably make you get up off the couch.

Just started The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I've been seeing this book for years and think I may actually have started it once before. https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Wind-C.../dp/0143034901

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Just started The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I've been seeing this book for years and think I may actually have started it once before. https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Wind-C.../dp/0143034901

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review
I read Shadow of the Wind long ago and have forgotten much of it, but haven't forgotten how much I enjoyed it!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night by Jason Zinoman.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read Shadow of the Wind long ago and have forgotten much of it, but haven't forgotten how much I enjoyed it!
I've had that book for years! I should probably read it.

ETA: Scratch that. It's the first book of a trilogy. I don't/won't do series.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-24-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Since I enjoyed his "Red Notebook", I purchased and have just finished "The President's Hat" by Antoine Laurain. A very charming, beautifully written book about a hat owned by French President Francois Mitterrand. He left it in a restaurant and the hat was retrieved by a fellow diner and it then changes hands several times. Every possessor, many unaware of the provenance of the hat, reclaims his or her life while the hat is in their hands. Since the book is set in Paris and for a short time in Venice, an extra bonus for me were the descriptions of places I've visited (or wished I'd visited) in both cities. Thanks for the recommendation on this thread! I really enjoy this author.
That sounds wonderful.

Quote:
Another one added

Quote:
I recommend Grandma Gatewood's Walk to anyone over 50. It's very inspiring to see what an older person can do, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's an easy read and will probably make you get up off the couch.

I've added that one. Thanks.

I really enjoyed that book. It has some wonderful characters but it is a book to stick with. I know I took a short break and was lost when I started over. Stick with it from the start.

Quote:

Nah don't worry about that. I read just the one book and felt no need to read more. It was enough by itself.

I finished Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson. Nine year old Mary killed a baby, allegedly. The books starts with her in a group home at 16 after being in "baby" prison since her trial. She becomes pregnant and will do anything to protect her unborn child...now she wants to tell the truth about what happened that night. It is a dark look at the mental instability of some people. It will stick with you.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30037870-allegedly

Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:

Shadow of the Wind is a trilogy? The author must have trilogied it after I read it. Don't let that stand in your way though. I read it years ago and my life has clipped along just fine without me evening knowing that it was a trilogy and I was apparently left hanging.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The author is Stephen Hugh and the book is World's End, Hampshire - Vol. 1.
I totally enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-End-Ha...mpshire+vol.+1
I downloaded the sample as it sounds interesting. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books