Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

I read a lot but rarely post, but just wanted to comment that I asked our library to get Corsets & Codpieces and son of gun, they did it! I'm so excited.

I'm in the middle of a Handmaiden's Tale and I find it soooo boring. Does it get better?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I'm in the middle of a Handmaiden's Tale and I find it soooo boring. Does it get better?

IMHO, it does not get better.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
I read a lot but rarely post, but just wanted to comment that I asked our library to get Corsets & Codpieces and son of gun, they did it! I'm so excited.

I am so glad you found that book!!!!!! I hope you like it as much as I did!!!!!

As for the Handmaiden's Tale, I didn't like the premise of the movie, so I never read that book, so I can't say.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Many thanks to those who recommended The Rich Part of Life: A Novel by Jim Kokoris.

I'm halfway through it and find it totally entertaining. It's clever with exceptional character development. I laugh out loud in parts and feel a touch of sadness at times. However, the laughs outnumber the sadness big time.

Does anyone else talk and perhaps yell at the books they are reading? Well, I do if they have sucked me in. I guess I am weird that way.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am so glad you found that book!!!!!! I hope you like it as much as I did!!!!!

As for the Handmaiden's Tale, I didn't like the premise of the movie, so I never read that book, so I can't say.

I'm 40% done and I have done almost no chores. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I read The Three by Sarah Lotz, a South African writer, while spending many hours in the ER with my husband. It was compulsively readable but perhaps only for the ER. I have no idea what went on with that book except that it left me feeling like I could growl (that too could be the ER). Once upon a time I watched an episode of Lost and a blurb on the book compared it to Lost so I'll go with that as a description. I gave it four stars because there is something to be said for a book that makes no sense at all being able to keep your attention all the way through. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Novel-S...ords=The+three

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I read The Three by Sarah Lotz, a South African writer, while spending many hours in the ER with my husband. It was compulsively readable but perhaps only for the ER. I have no idea what went on with that book except that it left me feeling like I could growl (that too could be the ER). Once upon a time I watched an episode of Lost and a blurb on the book compared it to Lost so I'll go with that as a description. I gave it four stars because there is something to be said for a book that makes no sense at all being able to keep your attention all the way through. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Novel-S...ords=The+three

Old 04-25-2017, 05:44 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I am reading writer to writer : from think to ink . It is good so far .This author though she has a habit of repeating herself and if I was a publisher I most likely would have told her to stop repeating herself . LOL good thing I'm not a publisher or a proof readers because half of these books I have read would not be published LOL . I'm hard on books especially the ones that I have read that are stinkers .

Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
I'm 40% done and I have done almost no chores. /lol
You go, girl. Priorities.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:

I liked it but I did it as a group read so it was different for me. I tend to enjoy "some" books better when I can discuss them as we go.

I don't think it changes and if it wasn't the right time for me I may have given up.

On another note I am finally into The New Jim Crow. It is excellent and sad how corrupt our War on Drugs started and continues. And the Three Strike Rule although I always thought that was unjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books