Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times

Advertisements

My Life in China and America, by Yung Wing
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/54635...-h/54635-h.htm

Autobiography by first Chinese graduate from Yale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious.

ETA: 10 minutes later...STILL laughing at "good footwear".
Happy to oblige! I couldn't get Vonn's green flip-flops out of my brain.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I have to admit in very un-PC way that the thought of conjoined twins completely skeeves me out. Still, y'all are making me want to take a chance on The Girls.
Me too.

I'm reading three books and they are a strange mixture. Along with Stalin's Daughter, I am also reading The Second Book of Esdras, of the apocrypha, and The Monsters of Templeton, which I am enjoying immensely at the 25% mark. I read Fates and Furies by the same author but I don't remember much about it. I'll chalk this strange selection up to something I'll call 'hospital head' from now on. But I really think that I can recommend The Monsters of Templeton to you all. It's hysterical in a 'life is that way' way.

https://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Temp...s+of+templeton

I also have a question about finding books on the kindle Paperwhite: I have books in files according to genre but when I search for a title, while I find the book I'm looking for, I don't always know what folder it is under. Is there some way I can find that out without having to open each folder until I find it?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
OK, still slogging through The Boy Kings of Texas, which is beautifully written but continues to be depressing.

I am not a "dark book" reader - at least not when it's written so poetically and in the first person. I mean, I can read all day about whether or not Richard the Whatever killed the two princes in the tower, but books like this one, that are so sad and so evocative, tend to weigh me down. Still - it's a very good book.

Y'all keep telling me this book is going to get happier. I hope so. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about reading The Road, thinking that surely it was going to have a satisfying and uplifting ending, and then just wanting to hang myself afterward I finished it. "What is the point - we're all doomed."

Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, still slogging through The Boy Kings of Texas, which is beautifully written but continues to be depressing.

I am not a "dark book" reader - at least not when it's written so poetically and in the first person. I mean, I can read all day about whether or not Richard the Whatever killed the two princes in the tower, but books like this one, that are so sad and so evocative, tend to weigh me down. Still - it's a very good book.

Y'all keep telling me this book is going to get happier. I hope so. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking about reading The Road, thinking that surely it was going to have a satisfying and uplifting ending, and then just wanting to hang myself afterward I finished it. "What is the point - we're all doomed."
Don't worry. The Boy Kings of Texas is certainly not The Road. I'm telling you--go to Domingo Martinez's facebook page. He just posted a funny picture of a horse.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:38 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Echoes of Shackleton

Cold welcome / Elizabeth Moon, c2017, Del Rey.

Subjects
  • Life on other planets -- Fiction.
  • Space warfare -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "After nearly a decade away, Nebula Award-winning author Elizabeth Moon makes a triumphant return to science fiction with a thrilling new series featuring the daring hero of her acclaimed Vatta's War sequence. Summoned to the home planet of her family's business empire, space-fleet commander Kylara Vatta is told to expect a hero's welcome. But instead, she is thrown into danger unlike any other she has faced and finds herself isolated, unable to communicate with the outside world, commanding a motley group of unfamiliar troops, and struggling day by day to survive in a deadly environment with sabotaged gear. Only her undeniable talent for command can give her ragtag band a fighting chance. Yet even as Ky leads her team from one crisis to another, her family and friends refuse to give up hope, endeavoring to mount a rescue from halfway around the planet--a task that is complicated as Ky and her supporters find secrets others will kill to protect: a conspiracy infecting both government and military that threatens not only her own group's survival but her entire home planet. Praise for Elizabeth Moon Trading in Danger "A mix of space opera, military science fiction and human drama, this is an exciting and often touching novel."--RT Book Reviews Marque and Reprisal "Excellent plotting and characters support the utterly realistic action sequences: swift, jolting, confusing, and merciless. It's a corker!"--Kirkus Reviews Engaging the Enemy "Moon has created a richly imagined universe of different cultures, replete with intriguing characters and the sense of unlimited possibility that characterizes the most appealing science fiction."--School Library Journal Command Decision "One of scifi's best military space series. confirms Moon's place with Lois McMaster Bujold and David Weber in the top tier of turn-of-the-millennium military SF writers."--Syfy Victory Conditions "Rip-roaring action and intriguing science and tactics distinguish Nebula-winner Moon's fifth and final Vatta's War installment. A fine and fitting conclusion to Moon's grand space opera tour de force."--Publishers Weekly"-- Provided by publisher.
  • "Kylara Vatta is summoned back to the world of Slotter Key, the home planet of the Vatta empire. Ky had never meant to return ... but sometimes family summons cannot be ignored. Yet nothing about this trip will go as planned. When her shuttle is sabotaged, she ends up crashed in arctic waters along with a desperate handful of strangers. It falls to Ky, as ranking officer, to help them survive and find land, but when they arrive on a frozen island that, until now, has always been known as a terraforming failure, what she discovers there is shocking. And now she must not only solve the mystery of who sabotaged her ship, but what it has to do with the secrets a shadowy government faction seems more than willing to kill to keep hidden"-- Provided by publisher.
Length
  • x, 431 pages ;
Excellent SF military fiction, plus the family & government & corporate struggles of Admiral Ky. Moon wrote the Legend of Paksenarrion series, the only series outside of Lord of the Rings & the Narnia cycle that is convincing - to me, @ least.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
There's not a heck of a lot of time to read but since it's written in the same structure and with the same richness as Olive Kitteridge, I'm going to wind down each day with Anything Is Possible by Elizabeth Strout.

I didn't like how she wrote My Name Is Lucy Barton -- not at all -- so I'm pleased to see this being compared to Olive K in style. Fingers crossed that it's true.
Choppy. Boring. Uninteresting. Flat. Bland.

Bailed at 35%.

And to help me get over the fact that I didn't like the Strout book, up next is: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson. I'll probably hate it, but I won't give a... hoot.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-02-2017 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Don't worry. The Boy Kings of Texas is certainly not The Road. I'm telling you--go to Domingo Martinez's facebook page. He just posted a funny picture of a horse.
LOL it's getting better!

I mean, it's always been a GOOD book, but it was so dark. I'm warming up to it considerably. Had a very busy few days so I'm about to settle down with it again tonight.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM

154 posts, read 132,282 times
"Autopsy of a Deceased Church" by Thom S. Rainer, we are also discussing it chapter by chapter after service at church.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL it's getting better!

I mean, it's always been a GOOD book, but it was so dark. I'm warming up to it considerably. Had a very busy few days so I'm about to settle down with it again tonight.
I read some of Dreamland last night. Now that's dark! And it's real life. If you got through that, you can handle the rest of Boy Kings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books