Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read some of Dreamland last night. Now that's dark! And it's real life. If you got through that, you can handle the rest of Boy Kings.
LOL yes, Dreamland was dark. So was Hillbilly Elegy for that matter. Maybe I've just been reading TOO MANY dark books lately! But Boy Kings is looking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
And to help me get over the fact that I didn't like the Strout book, up next is: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson. I'll probably hate it, but I won't give a... hoot.
I hate that I keep quoting myself but... yeah, I didn't give a [fig] about Not Giving a F*ck. That only took me three pages to discover. I needed something to wind me down from work, though, so I started The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers. I got to 10% before I was ready for sleep -- not because it was boring, not in the least; but because today needed an early start. (Hello, 6:00 a.m., how nice to see you!) I'll definitely see this book to its end. It's enjoyable reading.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
Almost finished with The Woman in Cabin 10. As much as the main character bugs me, I can't put it down.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
by Michael Finkel

Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Just finished The Girl Before by JP Delaney. (Don't waste your time). Getting ready to start Exit West by Mohsin Hamid.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Bear and the Nightingale last night. It's a Grimms brothers type of fairytale. I would recommend it for anyone interested in fairy tales and specifically folklore and Russian mythology. https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Nighting...he+nightingale

I started this yesterday and will finish it today. It is a wonderful mix of fairytale and mythology set in the Medieval Times in Russia.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Almost finished with The Woman in Cabin 10. As much as the main character bugs me, I can't put it down.
I won her In A Dark, Dark Wood. Then there was a discussion with the author. Seems like a nice lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
by Michael Finkel
That one is on my list. How do you like it?

Ooh and on a fun note my Library Book Sale is tomorrow. I am going in this morning to help load/unload books and then sort them on the tables. Yay....major preview

Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:

I'm almost halfway finished with The Shadow of the Wind and am loving it. The main characters feel like real people I wish I knew and the story is intriguing. There are lots of characters and timelines to keep up with, but twice the author has had a character, in a very natural way, summarize what the reader has learned so far. It's been very helpful.
Thanks to you I bought The Shadow of the Wind. I can't wait for it to get here and put it at the top of the pile! When I looked at it after reading what you wrote, it looked like something I needed to interject at this point in time. Thanks for your post!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Thanks to you I bought The Shadow of the Wind. I can't wait for it to get here and put it at the top of the pile! When I looked at it after reading what you wrote, it looked like something I needed to interject at this point in time. Thanks for your post!
I hate to over-hype a book, but I truly love The Shadow of the Wind and will be sad when I finish it. Except I really want to know how it ends. Hope you enjoy it as well.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
I hate to over-hype a book, but I truly love The Shadow of the Wind and will be sad when I finish it. Except I really want to know how it ends. Hope you enjoy it as well.
I have that book but I can't remember if I read it. I've had it for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books