Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have that book but I can't remember if I read it. I've had it for years.
We're sharing a brain again? https://www.city-data.com/forum/47938417-post19110.html
Well, not really. I *know* that I haven't read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have that book but I can't remember if I read it. I've had it for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
We're sharing a brain again? https://www.city-data.com/forum/47938417-post19110.html
Well, not really. I *know* that I haven't read it.
netwit, I bet you would remember it if you'd read it. It's has a unique setting--post-war Barcelona--and a fairly convoluted plot.

Dawn, I don't think it's your type of book because it's a mystery with lots of characters. I know you like stories that could happen in real life, and this is a larger-than-life tale. It reminds me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but easier to read and more accessible.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I hate to over-hype a book, but I truly love The Shadow of the Wind and will be sad when I finish it. Except I really want to know how it ends. Hope you enjoy it as well.

I'm glad you stuck with it.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Dawn, I don't think it's your type of book because it's a mystery with lots of characters. I know you like stories that could happen in real life, and this is a larger-than-life tale. It reminds me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but easier to read and more accessible.
I love that you know me so well.

You're right. And that's likely why, after a few pages (years ago), I didn't continue.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:58 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I won her In A Dark, Dark Wood. Then there was a discussion with the author. Seems like a nice lady.

How did you like IADDW?

Anyone read All the Ugly and Wonderful Things? It got so many rave reviews but I started reading it today and find myself feeling somewhat uncomfortable with the storyline.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
How did you like IADDW?
I thought it was good but not great.

I finished The Bear and the Nightingale and loved it. Then I started The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain. It's a sweet little story about a hat that gets left behind and picked up by different people. I am only up to the second person but the hat changes each of their lives in a good way.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...resident-s-hat

Old 05-05-2017, 01:36 PM

I'm 51, turning 52 later this month. I started to write "turning 52 *next* month," a mistake that is ironic in the context of this post. It seems that this is the age when it really and truly starts -- the beginning of the end. I came upon a book today (title redacted because... you'll see) that sounded great, and when looking to see what else the author had written, I saw her previous book was her first. That book (title redacted again because... you'll see) sounded great too. The synopsis of that debut novel didn't ring any bells. Not one. But the title sounded vaguely familiar so I did a search through this thread. Yup! Found it! Someone read it back in 2015 and didn't like the writing style at all and thought the story itself was sickly sweet. All in all, that person did not like this book. That person was me.

Now NEITHER of those books went on my "to read" list. I will, however, look for a book about memory loss. (If I remember.)

Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
netwit, I bet you would remember it if you'd read it. It's has a unique setting--post-war Barcelona--and a fairly convoluted plot.

I remember that the woman who loaned it to me told me it was "big, fat fiction"! And, yes, it was!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:25 AM

I started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch(the author of the Wayward Pines series). It's a sci fi thriller. I have read about 80 pages and I have no idea what is going on but I am intrigued.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...70-dark-matter

Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch(the author of the Wayward Pines series). It's a sci fi thriller. I have read about 80 pages and I have no idea what is going on but I am intrigued.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...70-dark-matter
I have Dark Matter on my TR list. I'm usually not a science fiction reader, but this one looked interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books