Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
netwit, I bet you would remember it if you'd read it. It's has a unique setting--post-war Barcelona--and a fairly convoluted plot.

Dawn, I don't think it's your type of book because it's a mystery with lots of characters. I know you like stories that could happen in real life, and this is a larger-than-life tale. It reminds me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but easier to read and more accessible.
Well, I downloaded the sample even though I have the book because it's easier on my eyes and I'm not quite through the sample but it does look like I'm reading it next. I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I have Dark Matter on my TR list. I'm usually not a science fiction reader, but this one looked interesting
This is more of an alternate universe book. There are nor alien monsters or anything The book's ideas makes our world seem very tiny. Give it a try. I am finding it absorbing and will probably finish it today.

"Imagine you’re a fish, swimming in a pond. You can move forward and back, side to side, but never up out of the water. If someone were standing beside the pond, watching you, you’d have no idea they were there. To you, that little pond is an entire universe. Now imagine that someone reaches down and lifts you out of the pond. You see that what you thought was the entire world is only a small pool. You see other ponds. Trees. The sky above. You realize you’re a part of a much larger and more mysterious reality than you had ever dreamed of.”

Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,480 times
Book of English fairy tales.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:16 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I downloaded the sample even though I have the book because it's easier on my eyes and I'm not quite through the sample but it does look like I'm reading it next. I'm intrigued.
I downloaded the sample and I like it so far.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I'm loving The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau.

(I know - I'm so far behind, but y'all got way ahead of me for a few weeks while I was busy starting a new job and reading mind-numbing medical abstracts)

Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm loving The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau.

(I know - I'm so far behind, but y'all got way ahead of me for a few weeks while I was busy starting a new job and reading mind-numbing medical abstracts)
Marlow wasn't such a fan but I absolutely loved that book.

Best of luck with your new job!!!

Old 05-08-2017, 05:14 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
I've finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy in 2 days which I didn't expect In the end I got used to all the missing punctuation marks. So maybe I will go on reading All The Pretty Horses too.

The next book I took from my to-read-pile is The Dive From Clausen's Pier which I got recommended somewhere, maybe here?!?

I'm currently waiting for The Last One by Alexandra Olive to arrive by mail from Great Britain. It was chosen for June reading on my Apocalypse now group on Goodreads

Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I've finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy in 2 days which I didn't expect In the end I got used to all the missing punctuation marks. So maybe I will go on reading All The Pretty Horses too.

The next book I took from my to-read-pile is The Dive From Clausen's Pier which I got recommended somewhere, maybe here?!?

I'm currently waiting for The Last One by Alexandra Olive to arrive by mail from Great Britain. It was chosen for June reading on my Apocalypse now group on Goodreads

The Last One is on my TBR list, is sounds so good!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Marlow wasn't such a fan but I absolutely loved that book.

Best of luck with your new job!!!
I liked The Book of Jonas--I just didn't love it.

I'm reading Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic, by Sam Quinones.

Whoo boy, what a mess we're in. I kept hearing about the "opiate epidemic" but had no idea what was going on. The book is well-written and fascinating, so if you're at all interested in the topic, I recommend it.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I liked The Book of Jonas--I just didn't love it.
I remember. And not my fault because I didn't write it. I remember that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books