Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I remember. And not my fault because I didn't write it. I remember that too.
We all feel responsible when we recommend books we love and our friends don't love them. But we shouldn't because there are so many variables that go into loving a book. (BTW, I'm feeling anxious about all the people starting The Shadow of the Wind on my recommendation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We all feel responsible when we recommend books we love and our friends don't love them. But we shouldn't because there are so many variables that go into loving a book. (BTW, I'm feeling anxious about all the people starting The Shadow of the Wind on my recommendation.)
I'm with ya. I was just having some fun with it. Otherwise, I'd cry. Just kidding. I fully agree.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I just finished The Boy on the Box by Leon Leyson. This could be the flip side of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. This is a true story about a 10 year old Jewish boy in Poland when Germany invades. He tells his story of how he and his family lived and just tried to survive what they went through. He is, I believe, the youngest one on Schindler's List. Without Schindler and his list of factory workers Leon and his parents and two siblings would not have lived through the war.

Now I am reading a PIFM(Pick it for me) book, Inside Mrs. B.'s Classroom by Leslie Baldacci. Mrs. Baldacci used to be a journalist for the Chicago Sun Times. She decides to quit her job and enroll in a 2 year grad program that certified her as a teacher in an inner city school. So far I am reading about her time as a 7th grade teacher dealing with the kids who's lives are surrounded by poverty and crime. So far it is a good one.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:56 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Re-reading American Gods.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

I'm currently waiting for The Last One by Alexandra Olive to arrive by mail from Great Britain. It was chosen for June reading on my Apocalypse now group on Goodreads

I just ordered that from my library Ketabcha might like that one also.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
I feel more "safe" recommending books on this forum than I do for some of the readers in my "real life" circle because I think we are all pretty understanding that it has to be the right book at the right time and sometimes that just doesn't match up.

I have some friends/acquaintances who get really judgy about book recommendations and I tend not to share much with them.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I feel more "safe" recommending books on this forum than I do for some of the readers in my "real life" circle because I think we are all pretty understanding that it has to be the right book at the right time and sometimes that just doesn't match up.
I agree! With gusto! (Sometimes I tend to get pushy about books that I really love. Sorry about that... for the past and in advance. )

Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
No worries. I am 62% in. Even though I have the book, I bought it for kindle, as it is easier to read way. I read most of it in the hospital.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I've finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy in 2 days which I didn't expect In the end I got used to all the missing punctuation marks. So maybe I will go on reading All The Pretty Horses too.

The next book I took from my to-read-pile is The Dive From Clausen's Pier which I got recommended somewhere, maybe here?!?

I'm currently waiting for The Last One by Alexandra Olive to arrive by mail from Great Britain. It was chosen for June reading on my Apocalypse now group on Goodreads
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I just ordered that from my library Ketabcha might like that one also.
I have The Last One but I just couldn't get into it and never finished it. I think it was the wrong timing and I will probably finish it at some other time.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have The Last One but I just couldn't get into it and never finished it. I think it was the wrong timing and I will probably finish it at some other time.

That happens. I just returned 3 unread books to my library. They are still on my list but not for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books