Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 PM

443 posts, read 437,401 times

Advertisements

I'm a third of the way into American War. It's not a slow read but it's not gripping me either - yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I just finished The Boy on the Box by Leon Leyson. This could be the flip side of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. This is a true story about a 10 year old Jewish boy in Poland when Germany invades. He tells his story of how he and his family lived and just tried to survive what they went through. He is, I believe, the youngest one on Schindler's List. Without Schindler and his list of factory workers Leon and his parents and two siblings would not have lived through the war.

Now I am reading a PIFM(Pick it for me) book, Inside Mrs. B.'s Classroom by Leslie Baldacci. Mrs. Baldacci used to be a journalist for the Chicago Sun Times. She decides to quit her job and enroll in a 2 year grad program that certified her as a teacher in an inner city school. So far I am reading about her time as a 7th grade teacher dealing with the kids who's lives are surrounded by poverty and crime. So far it is a good one.
Thanks Lisa for sharing this. I do like books about Nazi Germany. I couldn't handle/bear this subject when I was still at school since it's very near for us (being German I mean) and I'm still in an age where you can talk to grandmothers and fathers who were in the war. The younger generations don't seem to feel how it must have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I just ordered that from my library Ketabcha might like that one also.
My book arrived yesterday and I dived right in. Seems to be quite a good read so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have The Last One but I just couldn't get into it and never finished it. I think it was the wrong timing and I will probably finish it at some other time.
I hope this won't happen to me. After reading 23 pages I'm still interested

Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Usually I forget to mention the books I listen to on you tube or the like.

Currently:
The Martian by Andy Weir
This is quite good but I'm glad I don't have to read it.

Just finished:
Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
This one was a little too much for me. I believe listening to crime stories is better than reading them.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

75 posts, read 43,801 times
Caravel by Stephanie Garber

This is a YA book, but if you read Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, it is in the same mileau--magicial, fantasy, circusy

Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I feel like it took me forever to finish The Second Mrs. Hockaday because of all the other things going on. But it's a testament to the book, actually, that I kept going back to it. Usually when I miss 24+ hours of reading, I lose interest in that book, lose its thread, and don't go back. Was it a great book? No. But it was very good, and based on a true story. The end -- well, not the END end; the "whodunit" so to speak -- was a surprise to me.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I took a break (not sure why but nothing was appealing and I stopped looking) for a while but am now back.
I had gone to the library to get The Heart is a Lonely Hunter but instead selected (by the same author) Reflections in a Golden Eye. It was so nicely written, really drew me in. However the ending is one that just kind of leaves you hanging (at least it did me) so I am not really sure what to think.....
but hey it got me back here, reading again!

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I just finished reading two very good books.

Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden. This is my first book by Bernice L. McFadden. I really enjoyed the book and her writing. What a heart wrenching story set in 1955 Alabama. Pearl loses her daughter to a violent crime 15 years prior to her meeting Sugar. Sugar has never known love or goodness in her life. She has only known how to support herself by being a prostitute. Sugar moves to a small town and moves in next door to Pearl. Pearl is the only one in the town to befriends Sugar. In doing so they both begin to heal a little.

And I also finished Inside Mrs. B.'s Classroom by Leslie Baldacci for a challenge about a journalist in Chicago who gives up her career to become a teacher. I loved reading about Mrs. B's first 2 years of intern teaching with kids who come from poverty and violence around them every day. It also tells how the higher ups in her school system don't care about creative teaching or the teachers as much as they care about the standardized testing which does "not" work for all children.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:03 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road by Nick Bilton.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I liked The Book of Jonas--I just didn't love it.

I'm reading Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic, by Sam Quinones.

Whoo boy, what a mess we're in. I kept hearing about the "opiate epidemic" but had no idea what was going on. The book is well-written and fascinating, so if you're at all interested in the topic, I recommend it.
I was so taken in by Dreamland that I couldn't put it down. My husband is reading it now and he feels the same way.

We don't live in the region in question, but my husband has done a lot of out of state work in WV and western PA, and my daughter and brother and their families live in Dayton, OH. Especially in WV, the scourge of opiate and heroin addictions is palatable in the very air. There are towns and counties that seem almost like they are inhabited by zombies and I'm not kidding. What the author didn't bring into the story line much is that these areas have also become very economically depressed, with the loss of coal and factory jobs. That coupled with the incredibly high addiction rates has created a wasteland in the middle of our country. It's very sad.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was so taken in by Dreamland that I couldn't put it down. My husband is reading it now and he feels the same way.

We don't live in the region in question, but my husband has done a lot of out of state work in WV and western PA, and my daughter and brother and their families live in Dayton, OH. Especially in WV, the scourge of opiate and heroin addictions is palatable in the very air. There are towns and counties that seem almost like they are inhabited by zombies and I'm not kidding. What the author didn't bring into the story line much is that these areas have also become very economically depressed, with the loss of coal and factory jobs. That coupled with the incredibly high addiction rates has created a wasteland in the middle of our country. It's very sad.
I feel like climbing up on a literal soapbox and telling everyone who passes by that they need to read this book. It's jaw-dropping and eye-opening.

Since no one makes real soap boxes anymore, I'll just say it on here:

If you've been hearing about the "opioid crisis" or "opioid epidemic" and letting it go in one ear and out the other, you need to read this book. It's a national crisis and one that will eventually affect all of us.

The book is a great example of first-class investigative journalism. Although it can be a little bit repetitive, for the most part it's a page-turner you won't want to put down. The author ties together changes in the medical community's way of thinking about pain, with crazy-effective marketing of opioid drugs, with a highly sophisticated, very refined Mexican heroin distribution ring. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, if you're interested in issues surrounding addiction, pharmaceutical companies, drug culture, law enforcement, or drug abuse, or, if you just like good investigative journalism, you should get a copy of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamland-Tru.../dp/1620402521

*Steps down from figurative soapbox.*

Last edited by Marlow; 05-10-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books