Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times

Advertisements

I know I've said this before, but all of you who are loving Dreamland should read Chasing the Scream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I know I've said this before, but all of you who are loving Dreamland should read Chasing the Scream.
I ordered that one the other day! Just got the text from Amazon that it's shipped and on it's way. I hope it's as good as Dreamland.

Note on other post about Hillbilly Elegy - I also found that to be fascinating since my husband works up in that area a lot and I have family living in southwestern Ohio as well. We don't have a "hillbilly" family history but what I found fascinating about that book is that you could just trade out socioeconomic groups from various backgrounds and skin tones and the stories would be very similar. In fact, I've been reading The Boy Kings of Texas and many elements of the author's childhood remind me of the stories in Hillbilly Elegy.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Hillbilly Elegy. It's a very quick read. I find it fascinating because I've spent considerable time in Southern Ohio.
I think you would also probably like Dreamland and The Boy Kings of Texas if you like Hillbilly Elegy.

I didn't mean to choose three books that were similar but the similarities between all three of these is striking. They make a good trilogy on working class America and socioeconomic realities.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:21 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Cooking for Picasso, by Camille Aubray.

I've been trying to get around to it for awhile. A culinary feast, some history, sex, mystery, and a dose of art. Very enjoyable.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am still waiting for War before civilization by Keeley, Lawrence H. Meanwhile I have started reading Practicing History: Selected Essays by Barbara W. Tuchman since I am having dinner with a close friend and major Tuchman fan next Saturday. If I finish I may exchange his copy of The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914 by Barbara W. Tuchman for mine since his is likely in hardcover, with bigger print.
I finally received my book on library hold, War before civilization by Lawrence H. Keeley. This was recommended on the City-data thread Why's do we idealize life pre-colonization of America??
I am reading that now, and then will return to Practicing History: Selected Essays by Barbara W. Tuchman.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I just finished Live Bait which is the second book in the Monkeewrench series. This one is as story about elderly Jews being killed and it brings back the police who were in the first book. It was a good book and a quick read.

Now I am halfway through Hannah's Dream which is such a sweet story. A man has been a handler for a female elephant, Hannah, since she was 3 years old. He has been with her for 40 years and has a special relationship with her. Before he can retire he wants to make sure she will be in good hands. I love elephant stories

^^^^ Autumn....you would love this.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve.

Pack a box. Read half a chapter. Do some work. Read the other half. Pack two boxes. Too tired to read. But the book is excellent so far. It's based on a true story about the largest fire in Maine's history. This happened in 1947. The characters are terrific -- very well fleshed out, despite using so few words to describe them.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:32 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve.

Pack a box. Read half a chapter. Do some work. Read the other half. Pack two boxes. Too tired to read. But the book is excellent so far. It's based on a true story about the largest fire in Maine's history. This happened in 1947. The characters are terrific -- very well fleshed out, despite using so few words to describe them.
Oh, no. You're moving again?!

Old 05-14-2017, 10:54 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We all feel responsible when we recommend books we love and our friends don't love them. But we shouldn't because there are so many variables that go into loving a book. (BTW, I'm feeling anxious about all the people starting The Shadow of the Wind on my recommendation.)
Marlow, I meant to post an update days ago but with my husband still in the hospital, I haven't had time. Yes, I very much liked The Shadow of the Wind. The boy's feelings about books generally in the beginning of the story reminded me of how I, as a very young person, read in the National Geographic about the library at Herculaneum and the scrolls that would never be read because of Vesuvius, and wanted to cry at the thought of it. Although it sounds like there is hope. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...yri-180953950/

But now I am sort of (?) reading Ararat, a very quick read, which isn't going all that quick for me. https://www.amazon.com/Ararat-Novel-...stopher+golden

Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, no. You're moving again?!
Hahaha! Maybe still? My previous move was 2.5 years ago. This coming move will be my last move. Well, at least for a very, very, very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books