Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I'm about 80%+ into David Copperfield. How did I hit the age of 47 not having read this???? Up until now, I think the only works of Dickens I've read were A Christmas Carol (of course) and Great Expectations, and I think some of the short stories that were in the same book as A Christmas Carol.

Dickens sure lives up to his reputation with David Copperfield. I find myself laughing out loud with his wry observations. Every time I think that he got lazy and made a character 2-dimensional, he surprises me with giving the person more layers and depth, as if he caught it himself in between installments of the story. Freaking genius. I'm getting kind of sad as I approach 90%.
Just browsing back here and saw this post.
I know the feeling well- I have thrown in a bunch of old time classics that I missed (mostly they were read in high school as required reading) and marvel at how good they are after all this time. I remember really liking David Copperfield (less so Great Expectations) and really loved Oliver Twist. We had to read all of those in high school. This is inspiring me to look for others.

I mentioned this previously but I had never read/seen Anne of Green Gables until this year and was just amazed how perfect it was and how much I enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I recently picked up a 1960 copy of Emily Post at a used book store.

Our family is having a blast reading from it at dinner. Someone calls out a page and someone else reads their favorite etiquette advice from that page.

Emily was very, very judgy....

"That older or fat women should choose bathing suits that are ample enough to be becoming cannot be too strongly advised"

Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'm reading the 44 Scotland Street series by Alexander McCall Smith. Nothing much happens in the books, but somehow I have grown to like the characters and want to find out what happens to them. Who knew Edinburgh was a lovely city? At least in Smith's books it is.

Smith (or McCall Smith--which is it?) gets human feelings right but he misses with the particulars. His younger characters don't talk like younger people do. But he describes narcissism pretty well. His best characters are older, and since I am older, I guess I like them the best anyway.
I read the first couple of books in his series, "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" set in Botswana and felt the same way. Not a lot happening, but I came to like the characters.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read the first couple of books in his series, "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" set in Botswana and felt the same way. Not a lot happening, but I came to like the characters.
I read several of these too, a number of years ago. I lost track of the series and never went back to it. His strength is in describing very likeable people. I loved his descriptions of Botswana. He made it seem a very humane place.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Several of you have mentioned revisiting the classics. I revisited The Name of the Rose, after a few decades. I don't know if this is considered a classic, but I remembered it as being deep. It is supposed to be an allegory, but I didn't get too much of the deeper meaning. I read it as a swan song of a way of perceiving the world. At any rate, I thought the book was absorbing, and I enjoyed it more the second time. I also want to revisit one of Ecco's other books, Foucault';s Pendulum. I was quite caught up in that book, but I didn't really understand it. I'd like to re read it to see if I understand it better now. I was amazed at all the stuff he put in that book about Templars and Kabbalah. All of that was totally new to me.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I loved the ladies detective agency . They had a mini series on hbo at one time about this and they picked the right actresses for the parts I loved em both . I even tried red tea rooibos because of that book and I wanted to educate myself on the merits of red tea LOL . sad to say not my cup of tea those rooibos .But I have read every one of those books to date . Thank you Aleander McCall smith and those wonderful charecters .

Old 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm reading A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout. It is a memoir about a woman who in August 2008 when she traveled to Somalia—“the most dangerous place on earth.” On her fourth day, she was abducted by a group of masked men along and held hostage for 460 days.

It's a good accounting of her life before, how she got involved as a world traveler, how she was abducted and her life as a hostage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read that a few years ago for book club. It was a very good eye opening read.....but one where it' just so different from my reality and my life that it's hard to fathom. (being non fiction and all....)
Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered it on amazon because I saw they had it for a good price.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
also if you are looking for a good book read "Sophie and the rising sun " I also saw the movie and it was different from the book but then again they always are .I did like the book as well .

Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I'm reading A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout. It is a memoir about a woman who in August 2008 when she traveled to Somalia—“the most dangerous place on earth.” On her fourth day, she was abducted by a group of masked men along and held hostage for 460 days.

It's a good accounting of her life before, how she got involved as a world traveler, how she was abducted and her life as a hostage.
Quote:
I read that a few years ago for book club. It was a very good eye opening read.....but one where it' just so different from my reality and my life that it's hard to fathom. (being non fiction and all....)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered it on amazon because I saw they had it for a good price.
Just put it on my "to read" list. Thanks, ladies.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Just put it on my "to read" list. Thanks, ladies.
It was excellent.

Quote:

I mentioned this previously but I had never read/seen Anne of Green Gables until this year and was just amazed how perfect it was and how much I enjoyed it.
I have that one on my kindle. It looks good.

I just finished Of Mice and Men last week and enjoyed it.

Now I am reading The Pecan Man and Tortilla Curtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books