Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 05:25 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

.I know most of you have already read this but I just finished The Rosie Project. I did enjoy it and have to say it was full of interesting insights along with humor. I did not love all of it and at times toyed with calling it quits. It was an easy read though so I stuck with it, which was a good thing.

I think next up is Angle of Repose which I know nothing about, except that Dawn ( I think?) said it was one of her favorites and when I looked it up it said Pulitzer Prize Winner. I got it from the library for kindle so I hope it keeps me absorbed for the next few weeks on vacation etc. I do have other fall backs in case it doesn't OR in case I love it and consume it quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I think next up is Angle of Repose which I know nothing about, except that Dawn ( I think?) said it was one of her favorites and when I looked it up it said Pulitzer Prize Winner. I got it from the library for kindle so I hope it keeps me absorbed for the next few weeks on vacation etc. I do have other fall backs in case it doesn't OR in case I love it and consume it quickly.
I'm not sure that I even read all of Angle of Repose -- I know that I started it but I'm not sure if I ever finished it -- but one of my favorite books (maybe the absolute favorite) is by the same author, Wallace Stegner: Crossing to Safety. That book... sigh...

Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
.I know most of you have already read this but I just finished The Rosie Project. I did enjoy it and have to say it was full of interesting insights along with humor. I did not love all of it and at times toyed with calling it quits. It was an easy read though so I stuck with it, which was a good thing.

I read Angle of Repose after reading and loving Crossing to Safety, and though I remember enjoying it, I really don't remember it at all. Stegner's writing is beautiful and gifted so I would probably enjoy reading a Toyota Corolla manual if he authored it!

I finally finished The Book of Jonas ( I left it at my mother's house and she is way too frugal to waste postage to mail it back to me so I had to wait to finish until we saw each other again...). I'm not sure if it was the three week gap or if the story just naturally tapered off toward a less interesting direction, but I really didn't ever connect again and found the ending lackluster.

Not sure what my next book will be - I need to review my Goodreads list and get a few candidates lined up!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I read A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley, the memoir on which the movie, Lion, is based. Even if you've seen the movie, it's a pretty amazing story. It's the tale story of a little boy who got lost in India and was then adopted by an Australian couple who raised him in Tasmania. Many years later he started looking for his family in India.

Not sure why, but it seems like I'm reading a lot of memoirs lately. I started An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken. She writes about giving birth to a stillborn baby and then getting pregnant again and having a healthy baby a year later. She's very insightful and a beautiful writer.

I also picked up a copy of The Girls by Lori Lansens based on all the recommendations here.

Last edited by Marlow; 05-30-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley, the memoir on which the movie, Lion, is based. Even if you've seen the movie, it's a pretty amazing story. It's the true story of a little boy who got lost in India and was then adopted by an Australian couple who raised him in Tasmania. Many years later he started looking for his family in India.
I have that one waiting for me on my Kindle!

Quote:
Not sure why, but it seems like I'm reading a lot of memoirs lately. I started An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken. She writes about giving birth to a stillborn baby and then getting pregnant again and having a healthy baby a year later. She's very insightful and a beautiful writer.
You and I are on the same page (pun intended) about memoirs. I find myself pulled to them too. And I *loved* that one by Elizabeth McCracken. So sad but so amazingly well written.

Quote:
I also picked up a copy of The Girls by Lori Lansens based on all the recommendations here.
YAY! I hope that you like it too!

Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley, the memoir on which the movie, Lion, is based. Even if you've seen the movie, it's a pretty amazing story. It's the tale story of a little boy who got lost in India and was then adopted by an Australian couple who raised him in Tasmania. Many years later he started looking for his family in India.

We are on the same wavelength. Today I picked up A Long Way Home from my library and the other two have been on my TR list for quite some time now. They all sound good.

I'm finishing up the 4th book in the In Death series ny J.D. Robb. I love the characters. Then I am reading a book that I won as the author is having a discussion with us on Saturday. Stranger, Father, Beloved by Taylor Larsen. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true
The reviews are all over the place. I hope I like it.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
That is so funny Dawn! I am thinking that I must have looked up Stegner and saw this other book. When I looked at the kindle reads available at the library and saw this one I was thrilled. Oh well. I will let you know how it goes and I guess I have nother one now, Crossing to safety to look for.
Long Way Home sounds great. Actually I had heard the story a few years ago in a sermon and it really made an impression. We were told at the time that the movie rights were purchased and it would be made into one. never heard more about it. ")

Old 05-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That is so funny Dawn! I am thinking that I must have looked up Stegner and saw this other book. When I looked at the kindle reads available at the library and saw this one I was thrilled. Oh well. I will let you know how it goes and I guess I have nother one now, Crossing to safety to look for.
Well, the one that you got won the Pulitzer so how bad can it be?

Someone on this thread, a very long time ago, said that it was fantastic. But I was fresh off Crossing to Safety, so nothing could compare, not even a Pulitzer winner. I hope that you enjoy it. Either way, please do read Crossing to Safety. It's gorgeous.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:54 AM

47,545 posts, read 6,390,635 times
I just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon," which talks about the dominance of the Comanches, their amazing mastery of the horse for use in raids and their conflict with encroaching Texans who refused to back down despite numerous brutal incidents on the frontier.

The book focuses on the Parker family and the abduction of Cynthia Ann Parker as a child, her adjustment to life among the Comanches, including later becoming wife of a respected chief and mother to Quanah Parker, considered the last great Comanche chief.

The book is very interesting and detailed, and explains why the Comanches and their allies, the Kiowas, were so hated and feared that other tribes joined white soldiers to oppose them. It also does a good job of staying balanced, explaining the perspectives of all who were involved in the clash of cultures that erupted between Comanches and Texans.

It was fascinating to learn about how certain rangers and soldiers were successful in combating the mobile and quickly lethal Comanche attacks, while others did not adapt and were often overwhelmed.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM

Between packing boxes (I'm in the homestretch! Moving on Tuesday!), I'm reading bits of My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul, which is the book that I would have liked to buy for each of you (//www.city-data.com/forum/books...-buy-book.html).

I love it. She's funny and self-deprecating and -- go figure! -- we're very much alike when it comes to books, except that she likes hers in paper format. Well, she can't be PERFECT!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-31-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books